Wilco to do Daytrotter session

Happened to see this in the weekly e-mail from the good folks at the Quad Cities-based Daytrotter.com, who do great work recording unique live sessions with emerging bands and making them available for free download:

We confirmed today that we will be recording a Daytrotter session with the great Wilco, August 3. We will be doing so in the confines of the Wilco Loft in Chicago -- the main stage for the documentary "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart," and one of the most spectacular man caves in all of music history -- on August 3.

(Elsewhere within the e-mail was the possibility of their recording other bands that day if they can find a decent space: "There is a chance that we'll have part of the afternoon and evening free to do some bonus recording and depending on if you have the digs that it might take, we may want to invite some great bands to come record for us in your living room. So, if you have a great old house in Chicago -- one with a tall ceiling, some uniqueness and plenty of space for a band to set up -- send us some photos and maybe we'll make it happen. Just a thought.")

Not sure long it takes for them to post what they record, but it usually takes at least a little while so keep an eye on the Daytrotter site.

They usually post four songs, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any new arrangements or anything. I doubt the band would allow an outright new song to be posted, but I guess one never knows. Either way, it's still cool they're doing it. :thumbup

Nice! I've been digging a lot of these. Will Oldham and Magnolia Electric Co are some of my favorites that have been done so far. I'm sure Wilco's performance will be added to that list.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is being recorded today. Any update on when it will be posted?

I wouldn't count on it being anytime soon. They're still posting stuff they recorded down at SXSW in March, I think. But who knows? Maybe Wilco is a "special" session for them and they'll expedite it.

• 4 weeks later...

Now it's almost a month later. I just checked the daytrotter website and nothing new. But in 2007 they reviewed the Davenport, Iowa show.

They also did artwork for the article of ZOMBIE TWEEDY:

wilco-causing-fights-and-asking-for-macrame-gorillas-366.jpg

That was a fun show - also known as the "Altamont" concert.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A little update, since I started this thread a while back...

A little birdie told me that this session never actually happened. That it was canceled for some reason. Just FYI, in case anyone was really waiting with baited breath for it to come out. :pirate

A little update, since I started this thread a while back...

A little birdie told me that this session never actually happened. That it was canceled for some reason. Just FYI, in case anyone was really waiting with baited breath for it to come out. :pirate

:ohwell Damn. I actually was kinda looking forward to this. Kept checking their website for news. Thanks for letting us know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from long ago, but just noticed one line at the bottom of the most recent Daytrotter e-mail:

"Also, looks like we have a raincheck date for our Wilco taping."

So looks like this'll happen at some point after all. Makes more sense with the new record coming out anyway. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...

From this weeks Daytrotter:

We're recording just a pair of sessions this week and those are with Gun Lake and....drum....roll....the raincheck session with WILCO. We're extremely excited about that one and it's all we need to make for a good week. Look for that one to post in early October, around the release date of their new album. We're looking forward to seeing how it will turn out, but we have high expectations.

I love Daytrotter as well. Can't wait to hear some of these new songs in that setting.

So yeah, this is great news! And so is the Austin City Limits show (if only I could get tix to that I would use up my precious few frequent flyer miles!)

I think they might be... http://wilcoworld.ne...ates-announced/ December 1: Austin, TX: Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater

That date in Austin is a regular concert at the new Moody Theater, it's not a taping for the Austin City Limits TV show. If you check out the ACL website, they tell you which dates are show tapings and which are regular concerts.

That date in Austin is a regular concert at the new Moody Theater, it's not a taping for the Austin City Limits TV show. If you check out the ACL website, they tell you which dates are show tapings and which are regular concerts.

ah, that's too bad