Wilco -- 7/30/10, South Bend, IN

Wow, we had a great time. My wife, three kids (19, 17, and 14) and one girlfriend (not mine; one of the kids). It was so nice to sit in the infield. The sound was great. Of course, the show was, too. Everyone agreed later that they had a fabulous time. I just want Wilco to know how much fun and enjoyment they've given me and my family over the last 5 years or so that I've been a fan. Thank You Wilco! Great show!

Sometimes I think Mr. Tweedy is singing directly to me. Anyone else feel that way? My wife said the same thing. I guess that's what makes Wilco so special.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great evening in my hometown! I was born and raised in South Bend, was at Coveleski Stadium (The Cove) for the first game ever there. I just had so many great memories returning. South Bend has fallen on some hard times in recent years. Most of the industry that was there has moved out, the west side ethnic neighborhoods are half boarded up. I haven't lived there in a decade, but I think it really meant a lot to the city to have Wilco come and play for them. It's not often that I come home and see everyone I grew up with in such high spirits. Thank you Wilco! Friday was the highlight to my summer. Oh, and musically, it was one of the best (non residency) Wilco shows I have seen. Great mix of old and new, great banter, great everything!

it was a good show-not great though-wilco are always good,sometimes great-like bob dylan and his beard-lo ya tengo were good as well(only time i've ever seen em though)-we watched up by the left of stage a row back for the 1st half then went to the stands at the last of the show(i had a indianapolis colts hat on just to upset any possible bears fans in the audience)-the setlist was okay,not great-could'a used pecan pie,more summer teeth,an uncle tupelo song-"new madrid"?,could'a used a different mermaid ave. song also(love "airline" but i have heard it more than enough in concert),but at least something was played from that era...oh,and "via chicago"(one my wife would'a liked to hear) sure would'a been nice too but hey,i'm not in the band so i don't have a say only,wishes..upon a star..."california stars" is always a treat but they are probably tired of playing that one? musta been-it was'nt even hinted at tonight..."wilco the song" would'a been nice ,although expected too-so expect the unexpected at wilco shows(this is a good thing!)-except for bird poop in yer mouth while singing on stage...so a strange setlist actually when it comes down to it-especially compared to the last few months of shows but hey,it was a strange show out in the middle of left field for the boys anyway i imagine,what being stuck in the middle of weeks of no-shows...yo la tengo were fun,i just thought being at a baseball park n all,they would'uh tossed a few balls out in the crowd so we all could be sayin',"i got it,i got it" & then run into each other for you-tube'sake at least!!...i know alot of you thought wilco's south bend performance had a GOOD (to even GREAT)setlist from what i'm reading,but i BEG to differ(my reason for startin' a whole other topic on this show)..now now,don't be haters either...DO YOU know what i am SAYING man???-quotin' butters there...just coversation ya'll-maybe i'm wrong..."at least that's what you said"...oh yeah,& we bought a wilco "guitar(recycle)tote bag for $5 but it was'nt the "wilco,the tote" tote bag we wanted that they have online...like the stones say,"you can't always get what you want"...& we did'nt get a stones cover for an encore either,we got a song by neil young's old band-(that actually was pretty cool) even though i was hoping for "don't fear the reaper"...what can you say,a little over a year ago at the same exact venue,bob dylan played,"yankee doodle dandy"..so...even though it did'nt have the "greatness"-show-feel to it like when me & my wife saw 'em in boulder right before YHFT came out,it still was a good show...rock on anyways & always.

j.

lafayette

I wanted to add my kudos to the band for a terrific show on Friday night! It was a long drive and I had my doubts about seeing them in a ballpark. I was worried about sound and visibility. I can't believe that I almost didn't make the trip!

There may be longer shows or more intimate shows, but to me, it was a perfect night. The atmosphere was wonderful. The band and audience were in great spirits and very appreciative of each other. Standing close to the stage I didn't have to worry about the sensory experience. They sounded great and seeing the band perform in natural light and then with stage lighting as it got darker was cool.

I heard some songs in a way that I've never heard them before, e.g. Walken. Although I've never met a Wilco song I didn't like, admittedly, that one hasn't been a favorite - a little too bouncy(?) for me. I've seen them play the song live before and I listen to different versions of it, but they really rocked it on Friday night!! They also played my request (yeah) and the rest of the setlist was stellar - a brilliant mix with a few surprises.

Of course there were a few other things that I would have liked to hear, but I'm not really going to complain about 2 1/2 hours and 29 songs in a pleasant venue. Thanks Wilco, for a great show!!

What a awesome show, great venue, great setlist (finally got to hear 'Ill fight') and the band, as always, rocked. One of my favorite things was just to watch the band interact and really have a good time on stage. I also loved the almost solo-show seeming Sunken Treasure as the opening. Great songs in the encore, and a wonderful variety of old and new. Jeff, as always, was on top of comical game in-between songs.

One of my favorite things was where the show was. Being 16 and not able to drive I had to wait for a ride from my dad who was able to leave work early, and we ended up leaving at around 3 thinking we had plenty of time. Well we never calculated the time-zone change and traffic was terrible, we arrived finally in the middle of Yo La Tengos set, and still got in the third (and later in the evening Second) row, something I'm sure would have been impossible at a smaller venue.

Over all a awesome show, I cant wait to see them again, hopefully soon.

it was a good show-not great though-wilco are always good,sometimes great-like bob dylan and his beard-lo ya tengo were good as well(only time i've ever seen em though)-we watched up by the left of stage a row back for the 1st half then went to the stands at the last of the show(i had a indianapolis colts hat on just to upset any possible bears fans in the audience)-the setlist was okay,not great-could'a used pecan pie,more summer teeth,an uncle tupelo song-"new madrid"?,could'a used a different mermaid ave. song also(love "airline" but i have heard it more than enough in concert),but at least something was played from that era...oh,and "via chicago"(one my wife would'a liked to hear) sure would'a been nice too but hey,i'm not in the band so i don't have a say only,wishes..upon a star..."california stars" is always a treat but they are probably tired of playing that one? musta been-it was'nt even hinted at tonight..."wilco the song" would'a been nice ,although expected too-so expect the unexpected at wilco shows(this is a good thing!)-except for bird poop in yer mouth while singing on stage...so a strange setlist actually when it comes down to it-especially compared to the last few months of shows but hey,it was a strange show out in the middle of left field for the boys anyway i imagine,what being stuck in the middle of weeks of no-shows...yo la tengo were fun,i just thought being at a baseball park n all,they would'uh tossed a few balls out in the crowd so we all could be sayin',"i got it,i got it" & then run into each other for you-tube'sake at least!!...i know alot of you thought wilco's south bend performance had a GOOD (to even GREAT)setlist from what i'm reading,but i BEG to differ(my reason for startin' a whole other topic on this show)..now now,don't be haters either...DO YOU know what i am SAYING man???-quotin' butters there...just coversation ya'll-maybe i'm wrong..."at least that's what you said"...oh yeah,& we bought a wilco "guitar(recycle)tote bag for $5 but it was'nt the "wilco,the tote" tote bag we wanted that they have online...like the stones say,"you can't always get what you want"...& we did'nt get a stones cover for an encore either,we got a song by neil young's old band-(that actually was pretty cool) even though i was hoping for "don't fear the reaper"...what can you say,a little over a year ago at the same exact venue,bob dylan played,"yankee doodle dandy"..so...even though it did'nt have the "greatness"-show-feel to it like when me & my wife saw 'em in boulder right before YHFT came out,it still was a good show...rock on anyways & always.

j.

lafayette :beer :blink

Nice First post.

Everyone has these types of thoughts about the set lists. I couple of things that you talk about stuck me as a little off.

1. Where did you get the idea of a stones song. Black Crowes yes, Wilco I dont think so.

2. DFTR has not been done for 3 years or so.

3. UT song...they very rarely play those anymore.

4. Wilco plays 29-35 songs over the past year so it is hard to complain given that 99% of other artists out there play 18-22 songs a night.

5. At Least That's What You Said, I agree should be in every night but again I think that about 15 songs and on any given night they play 5-10 of them.

it was a good show-.....lafayette :beer :blink

head-explode.jpg

This is strange for my reading! It has much Danish in style. I have no breath and my head feel like it explode? Do you have this symptom friends? But do not fear - I take calm moment with pine and all if well! Such is its power. Believe! I provide pic for your sooth also.

oak_-_antique_planed_6_inch_T_G_poly_finish-335x324.jpg

Welfare!

j.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Just a friendly suggestion - some punctuation and line breaks would greatly serve your responses well. What kind of setlist were you hoping for?

Hey everyone. I just saw Wilco live for the first time in South Bend and decided to write a review for the show. Enjoy if you see fit:

http://allstarbloggers.info/moviewithreviews/i-saw-wilco-live-and-am-chronicling-the-experience-here

Nice review!

As far as your friends assertion that Wilco's Farm Aid performance was better... well, you can take that with a HUGE gain of salt! I was there, and I have two points to make about the Farm Aid set:

1. Wilco played all of about 6 songs... and any Wilco fan will tell you that they are just getting warmed up after the first 6 songs. However, Tweedy's banter was definitely above par, which brings me to my second point...

2. Wilco played right after Gretchen Wilson (sorry if anyone reading this is a fan of hers -- I am not) so ANYBODY would have performed an AMAZING set after her, and her constant "Where are my REDNECKS?!" To which Tweedy's comment, "How many people here AREN'T rednecks?" was absolutely priceless!

Now, in a true comparison, I also saw Wilco in St. Louis (05/17/08) which I think was the last date of the Sky Blue Sky tour. Now, that one was definitely one for the ages. However, I would argue that the South Bend show was right up there. Wilco stitched together a tapestry covering all elements of their style (not to mention hitting every album) with nothing feeling out of place. That is a true testament to a truly GREAT band. As one fellow I met at the South Bend show put it (who also happened to be a Cubs fan)- only Wilco can bring a Cubs fan and a Cardinals fan together! :)

j.

No offense, but if you go to a Wilco show expecting Rolling Stones covers and songs Tweedy recorded with bands that aren't Wilco, you're only going to leave disappointed.

-i wuz just trying to just have fun with it but it seems there is'nt much of a sence of humour here & contrary to yer interpertations,i was'nt complaining & i know they don't do stones covers &...punctuation!?...man,i will try and mess up some spelling here too...wow,did'nt think i was writing for the south bend gazzette...i digress...i.e. ...i'll try n be a more wilco-professional next time...WHATEVER...wow ya'll r haters after all eh?....i want to thank you all for nuthin...nuthin...nuthin NUTHIN! NUTHIN! NUTHINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN at all...

I really can't think of one thing I would change...seriously. O.k. maybe the douche bag in front of me but that is out of the band's control. I don't think any true Wilco fan could be dissapointed by that setlist. The weather was awesome(I think I felt 6 raindrops). Yo La Tengo was fabulous. Two Dr.Dog songs in between acts, always a plus. Oh by the way we were standing on a freakin baseball field watching Wilco. Nine dollar beers...oh wait that acutally sucked but everything else was literally perfect. A couple footnotes from the roadtrip though. Do not visit The Kitchenette Restaurant at 3:00 a.m., do visit Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster,In. Do stay at the Marriot South Bend. Do not stay at Potato Creek State Park(unless you comfortable pitching a tent within 10 feet of people). The camp sites were jammed in so tight we stayed long enough to grill three burgers and left. There were probably 20 mennonite kids within a 30' radius and judging on the contents of our cooler they may have been exposed to some new vocabulary and decent music by the end of the evening.

-i wuz just trying to just have fun with it but it seems there is'nt much of a sence of humour here & contrary to yer interpertations,i was'nt complaining & i know they don't do stones covers &...punctuation!?...man,i will try and mess up some spelling here too...wow,did'nt think i was writing for the south bend gazzette...i digress...i.e. ...i'll try n be a more wilco-professional next time...WHATEVER...wow ya'll r haters after all eh?....i want to thank you all for nuthin...nuthin...nuthin NUTHIN! NUTHIN! NUTHINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN at all...

Hey, don't get mad and leave. Your review was honest and fresh and stream of consciousness style, and you weren't saying just PC things. It's what you felt. I didn't pick up that you hated the show or the band. And believe it or not, there are lots of dissenting voices on this site--not everyone loves everything equally! But the people who've been on here a long time do feel kind of proprietary about this band. And I sure didn't think that any of the reactions to your review were exactly "hating." You can't be too thin-skinned on a fansite like this, y'know?

To end on a positive note, nice use of Wilco lyrics!

I thought it pleasant that Wilco omitted some of the usual staples like Hummingbird, Spiders, Hate It Here, and Wilco (The Song). Their setlists could use a bit more more variation: we have received a lot of Wilco > Bull Black Nova > Break Your Heart this touring season.

I think this may be the best non-eveningWithWilco setlist we've received from Wilco this year. Furthmore, we received a main set that lasted 2+ hours.

I thought about going to this show but the timing wasn't good and we skipped it.

Of COURSE it was the show where they played "Say You Miss Me."

Still waiting to see them play that one live. :hmm

quote:"Hey, don't get mad and leave. Your review was honest and fresh and stream of consciousness style, and you weren't saying just PC things. It's what you felt. I didn't pick up that you hated the show or the band. And believe it or not, there are lots of dissenting voices on this site--not everyone loves everything equally! But the people who've been on here a long time do feel kind of proprietary about this band. And I sure didn't think that any of the reactions to your review were exactly "hating." You can't be too thin-skinned on a fansite like this, y'know?

To end on a positive note, nice use of Wilco lyrics!"

-thanks for your reply (wilco me)-it's also nice to not be called a douche bag or called an UN-true wilco fan just by writing a review the way i saw the show-honestly,i WAS dissapointed with the setlist at south bend(i imagine tweedy would be dissapointed in his fans if they thought EVERYTHING he did was golden?),but NEVER dissapointed in wilco -like i said before,i saw them in boulder right before YHFT came out & the buzz that was there that night was hard to explain if you were'nt there & the bar was set high that night for me...but i saw them again in nov.04' in denver right after the election & it was the 2nd best show i've seen of theirs...i've also seen them a few times other than that & was even in a band back in the late 80's that played down at jake's (in bloomington,IN) around the time uncle tupelo played there...so,i'm not some fair weather ,alt.country &/or wilco bandwagon jumper (& i dig uncle tupelo's old stuff still,but mainly,the stuff tweedy sang on -so i'm rotten for that??)...and if as they say,i'm an un-true wilco fan or a douche bag or can't punctuate or whatever else they can think of for being honest about it,it's no skin off my(summer)teeth -i thought they'd at least dig that i used the south bend poster as my avatar so they could (maybe)copy & keep that without searching...oh well...

I feel a lot less proprietary about the band than I do about line breaks. I have ADD to the max so reading your review and posts is pretty much impossible.

I really can't think of one thing I would change...seriously. O.k. maybe the douche bag in front of me but that is out of the band's control. I don't think any true Wilco fan could be dissapointed by that setlist. The weather was awesome(I think I felt 6 raindrops). Yo La Tengo was fabulous. Two Dr.Dog songs in between acts, always a plus. Oh by the way we were standing on a freakin baseball field watching Wilco. Nine dollar beers...oh wait that acutally sucked but everything else was literally perfect. A couple footnotes from the roadtrip though. Do not visit The Kitchenette Restaurant at 3:00 a.m., do visit Three Floyds Brewpub in Munster,In. Do stay at the Marriot South Bend. Do not stay at Potato Creek State Park(unless you comfortable pitching a tent within 10 feet of people). The camp sites were jammed in so tight we stayed long enough to grill three burgers and left. There were probably 20 mennonite kids within a 30' radius and judging on the contents of our cooler they may have been exposed to some new vocabulary and decent music by the end of the evening.

Bummer that Potato Creek didn't work out. Glad you found a hotel in town.

It's nice to see that Wilco(the song) was not the opener. Also, I believe any post that is written past 2am should be taken with a grain of salt. At least with my posts.

Well, then, nothing should ever be taken with a grain of salt since everything is written past 2 am. Not even this!