Now Playing: August 2010

Caribou_Swim_cover_art_hi-res.jpg

V0LNr.jpg

Hooray for awesome mixtape that comes with CD. /endBragging

Boo Burns for the awfulness that is Rough Trade Shops. Someone else should also tell them that they have an awful website and delivery system.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

covermarsvolta.jpg

Finally got a chance to check out this band. People really like this stuff? Glad I got it for free from the library.

Incredibly talented band, but far too much aimless wankery. So many of their songs would be incredible if they were whittled down, or cut in half entirely. I stopped paying attention to them after two albums.

NP:

0000189513_350.jpg

First Lanegan solo album I've found. Still gathering my thoughts on this one. But it's pretty damn good. Borracho is one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard.

NP:

0000189513_350.jpg

First Lanegan solo album I've found. Still gathering my thoughts on this one. But it's pretty damn good. Borracho is one of the best vocal performances I've ever heard.

It surprised me how mellow this one was when I first heard it. It's a good late night or Sunday morning record. It grew on me.

Right now, my Lanegan experience is limited to Queens of the Stone Age, the latest album with Isobel, the last Screaming Trees album, and his cover of Man In The Long Black Coat. This one is pretty damn mellow compared to all those. I'm enjoying it though. I've been looking for his solo albums for a while, and I found a copy of this one over the weekend. Pretty good introduction. Still looking for the others.

Incredibly talented band, but far too much aimless wankery. So many of their songs would be incredible if they were whittled down, or cut in half entirely. I stopped paying attention to them after two albums.

That's basically my impression after one listen. Musically, it's technically impressive, but it seems like the target audience is people who work in the drum department of Guitar Center. The vocals are so terrible I feel like there must be an inside-joke or something that I'm missing out on.

It's been a while since I've listened to the albums I have, but the vocals are...not easy to take. Frustrating band. Just because you can make a song twice as long as it should be doesn't mean you should.

I've been semi-meaning to check out Omar's "solo" albums. He's played with some pretty good guys (Frusciante, Money Mark, others I'm forgetting at the moment), and I think his guitar style would be more fitting in a purely instrumental context. But it could be just as pointlessly prog-y.

It's been a while since I've listened to the albums I have, but the vocals are...not easy to take. Frustrating band. Just because you can make a song twice as long as it should be doesn't mean you should.

I've been semi-meaning to check out Omar's "solo" albums. He's played with some pretty good guys (Frusciante, Money Mark, others I'm forgetting at the moment), and I think his guitar style would be more fitting in a purely instrumental context. But it could be just as pointlessly prog-y.

I still play the At the Drive in stuff more than Mars Volta but in the right mood I like them both.