Gibson is really loosing credibility in my book, and seemingly every poster regarding this topic. The Dave Navarro signature Epiphione is weird and frankly, a bit creepy...but, how many jokers can this company give signature guitars to? Does it end? Having a signature guitar, no matter the brand, always seemed like an esteemed honor for a truly great, inspiring musician. What the hell? Plus, there is even a contest to name the Nicklekroeger new guitar...my entry, "The Douche"

Plus, there is even a contest to name the Nicklekroeger new guitar...my entry, "The Douche"

:lol

I was going to go with "The no talent hack" but I like yours better.

I actually don't have a problem with signature guitars, apparently they must sell and that's what Gibson is in business to do. It's very hard to imagine someone buying a Nicklekroeger guitar but they would probably out sell a Jeff Beck model for all I know. You can lead a musician to guitars but you can't give them taste.

Dave Navarro is actually a good guitarist.

I wonder if Gibson/Epiphone realizes that, at one time, Dave Navarro owned several Gibson Les Pauls, but sold them all to buy heroin. Then, despite Jane's Addiction becoming the hottest band in the world and making lots of money, he chose to restock his guitar rack with a bunch of Ibanez guitars.

Guest Speed Racer

I wonder if Gibson/Epiphone realizes that, at one time, Dave Navarro owned several Gibson Les Pauls, but sold them all to buy heroin. Then, despite Jane's Addiction becoming the hottest band in the world and making lots of money, he chose to restock his guitar rack with a bunch of Ibanez guitars.

Doesn't that serve as a testament to their resale value, though? :lol

Question: has anyone here ever bought a signature guitar?

I own a Muddy Waters Telecaster. I've never played a better stock tele.

When I was in the market for a strat, the Jimmy Vaughan model was a strong contender, but I chose the Classic Player '60s model.

Really it's the special features of the guitar I want rather than the signature name. Given the choice between 2 identical guitars, one signature and one not, I would take the non signature.

Really it's the special features of the guitar I want rather than the signature name. Given the choice between 2 identical guitars, one signature and one not, I would take the non signature.

I probably wouldn't buy a "signature" guitar if it had the "signature" player's name or identifying symbolism on the neck or body (Les Paul being one of the few exceptions).

The only thing on the Muddy Waters Tele that identifies it as a Muddy Waters model is his name on the neck plate:

FenderMIMMuddyWatersTeleNeckPlate_2.jpg

The only other identifier is the amp knobs in place of the typical metal tone/volume knobs.

muddy_waters_003.jpg

See, now that Muddy guitar is pretty cool and classy. I would take one of those.

The other interesting phenomenon is the exact "replica" guitar. Like the copy of Gilmour's black strat or SRV's Lenny guitar. Copied down to the scratches and stickers and whatever. Unbelievable the prices they are charging for those things. Usually in the 5 figures range.

See, now that Muddy guitar is pretty cool and classy. I would take one of those.

The other interesting phenomenon is the exact "replica" guitar. Like the copy of Gilmour's black strat or SRV's Lenny guitar. Copied down to the scratches and stickers and whatever. Unbelievable the prices they are charging for those things. Usually in the 5 figures range.

I got to see the Andy Summers and the Jeff Beck replicas at a small guitar store. They were pretty neat, but I would never feel right about playing or owning one of those. Supposedly, Andy Summers had one or two of his on the recent Police tour, but all the footage I saw from it showed him playing a strat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...