Wilco - Solid Sound Festival 08/14/10 North Adams, MA

8:30p.m. EST

the price is right intro

Wilco (The Song)

Ashes Of American Flags

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

Hell Is Chrome (thanks bbop for correcting the order of this & IATTBYH)

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

One Wing

A Shot In The Arm

Deeper Down

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Someday Some Morning Sometime :thumbup (thanks tried & true)

Not For The Season a.k.a.Laminated Cat +:worship

Cars Can't Escape :worship

Wishful Thinking :worship

I'll Fight

I Must Be High :rock

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again) (thanks bbop)

Jesus, Etc.

You Never Know

A Magazine Called Sunset :rock

Hate It Here

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

On And On And On :worship

-------encore-------10:40p.m.

California Stars

Walken

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hoodoo Voodoo

------end----------11:00p.m.

***(setlist corrected to reflect that of Setlist Caretaker bbop. The same setlist appears a few posts down with the segues. Hopefully, this clears up confusion for seeing double.)

Notes: Todd Barry & John Hodgman (hanging out together) spotted in the crowd.

Jeff - "The dunk booth was a dumb idea."

Jeff - "We've gotten to the point in the show when casual fans may have started to drift away." in between Season & Cars.

Jeff - "I can't believe how fun this has been and it ain't even over."

Jeff - "I think Mavis left. We're gonna play a song about smoking pot. Don't tell her!" before I Must Be High.

Jeff - "You know you're serious about singing when you stick your finger in your ear."

***Jeff - "Practice for next year." told the crowd that. Assumption over Twitter is that they will be back next year.

Jeff - "This next song has a most fanatical following...so for those six or seven nerds..." re: Magazine

while I do some studying for a test on Monday I have a few twitter pages open to help me get the setlist as it comes in from tweeters on the scene...this is for the people like myself who are very curious what the band will do and are anxious to not read a report post midnight... :stunned It also works as some kind of strange therapy for not being there. Can't complain too much I was lucky enough to have 2 local "Evening With" shows I attended in April (Boston & Concord).

+ If this is a whole band completely plugged in unlike the "Evening With" shows, I will be very upset to miss this. :blush

It's pretty great that people are tweeting Tweedy lines. Ha.

*****Tweets aren't coming in as much as in the beginning hour of the show. The guy that was posting regularly stopped for about 20 minutes and tweeted that he missed a few. I think he only missed I'll Fight.I'd say the set above is about 90% accurate. It's questionable between Impossible Germany & Jesus, Etc.

My thought that came to me this evening was that Wilco would do a set pretty similar in length to that of the "Evening With" shows and save the stripped down acoustic portion for tomorrow's Tweedy solo set. It looks like that may be what is happening here.

Updated: 2:30a.m.

*Concert photo grabbed off of Twitter.

Solid Sound.jpg

Thanks for compiling the updates... nice to see what's going on, for those of us who are still in the non-twit category.

No problem. I just figured out Twitter today for an event like this one. I only use Facebook and have fond memories of "that old abandoned amusement park" known as Myspace. :lol But yeah, the above is in the other thread in Just A Fan. Lots of cool pictures coming in as it happens. Another person's distraction is another person's treasure.

I'll take these links off as soon as actual reports come in later tonight to free up some space. :cheers

They played Someday Some Morning Sometime before Season.

What happened after Heavy Metal Drummer? At around 10:45 no tweets came in and then around 11:20ish a few tweets popped up saying "great show" etc.

Nice reportage there!

Politest crowd ever ... LOTS of kids, quite a few white-haired folk, I love that. And, yes, a boatload of hipsters. Very little weed that I could tell, but I do what I can. VC was well represented up front, but I didn't talk to anybody once I staked out my spot. Loved Mavis Staples and her band. Jeff played a couple (sorry, I don't know the names), and he and Mavis were just grinning back and forth like crazy To hear them do "I'll Take You There" from 1971 -- can you dig it!!

Wilco couldn't have been better, which I say every time I see them, and they keep proving me wrong. More old songs would have made me happy, but hey. My crowd neighbors were a funny mix between people singing along with old vs. new songs.

It was very well done, the whole organization of the festival, use of the Museum (an old electric parts factory). I popped over the mountain to North Adams, parked at the tiny airport (where a tiny airshow was going on), hopped right on a school bus, and was deposited at the door of Mass MOCA. Staff was plentiful and very friendly, and I just walked right in and up to the front. Weather -- perfect. I loved when the train came through right up above the field.

So, I bought a ticket from someone here last minute, not being able to afford to do the whole thing. He lost my ticket along the way up from NY(his wife found it lying in the driveway). I couldn't find another single, so long story short, this gentleman -- let's call him Josh, because that's his name -- bought me a ticket because he felt so bad, and left it at willcall. Just another example of Wilco family values. Restores your faith and all that.

They had a fascinating prop light setup onstage -- they looked like large candlesticks made of gas lines, like old gaslamps, but they had some sort of elongated clear bulb that flashed w/the music.. It was a cool nod to the setting. Nice piece of backdrop art too.

A+ Wilco & Mass MOCA -- kudos! Can't wait for tomorrow when I have time to check out the exhibits and see Jeff solo.

When they played Jesus, etc., Jeff let the audience sing most of the song (which we did very well!), and Jeff came in towards the end. He said it was one of the top ten best moments for him -- then he upgraded it to best one or two.

I think he only missed I'll Fight.I'd say the set above is about 90% accurate. It's questionable between Impossible Germany & Jesus, Etc.

Yeah, the cobbled-together Twitter setlist was pretty much almost right (nice job, Kristofor). But just for the sake of complete accuracy, here was tonight's set as played:

—"The Price Is Right" theme music intro—

Wilco (the song)

Ashes of American Flags

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

Hell Is Chrome

IATTBYH>

One Wing

A Shot in the Arm

Deeper Down

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime>

Laminated Cat

Cars Can't Escape>

Wishful Thinking

I'll Fight

I Must Be High

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

You Never Know

A Magazine Called Sunset

Hate It Here

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Hummingbird

On and On and On

-------------------

California Stars

Walken

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hoodoo Voodoo

Broken Arrow and Red-Eyed and Blue/I Got You were on the printed setlist in the encore, but weren't played. Broken Arrow was scheduled to kick off the encore and Red-Eyed/I Got You was supposed to precede the Hoodoo closer. Seemed like they intended to finish by 11. Not sure if that was a self-imposed curfew or what, but there you go.

Because of that latter omission, there were no Being There songs played. Wonder when that last happened?

Thanks for the corrections. :thumbup

Any idea on when the Festival will close up shop tomorrow?(Edit: Nevermind. I looked at the schedule and remembered that it was 7pm) It seems a bit odd that Jeff is going on somewhat early at 4p.m. I guess they probably want to help people get out on the road before a reasonable time.

I'm still contemplating going there tomorrow. Tonight sounded, well looked on paper, pretty damn awesome. I think Sunday should be better in terms of real surprises during Jeff's "solo" set. One of the local papers said that anyone is game to come and join him on stage in terms of musicians. They even mentioned fans too. I think the paper was quoting Tweedy at the press conference Friday.

Edit: Oh, and before I forget: THANKS to the tapers who will come through at some point. I already listened to Brennan's Pronto set from Friday night. It sounded great. :thumbup

Loved Mavis Staples and her band. Jeff played a couple (sorry, I don't know the names), and he and Mavis were just grinning back and forth like crazy To hear them do "I'll Take You There" from 1971 -- can you dig it!!

Oh my Jesus yes.

Having myself been suckled on soul and Motown, Tweedy's transformation into the Dadfather of Soul is somehow familiar and gratifying.

He's got the pipes. But has he got the moves? :pirate

That was an incredible few days and I didn't even get to see half of everything that went on. I loved the diversity of the crowd, so many families completely enjoying themselves (and wouldn't say there were a lot of hipsters...college kids/young hippies, yes). Brought a couple of light Wilco fans and they're now converted for life into the cult. Can't wait for Solid Sound II next summer, and thanks in advance to the folks who post the Wilco and Tweedy shows!

Only disappointment: No Summerteeth (the song).

Just a few show notes to add:

Say You Miss Me was sound checked

Broken Arrow was on the printed set list as the first encore song, but not played

and

Red Eyed Blue / I Got You was on the printed set list between Heavy Metal Drummer and Hoodoo Voodoo but not played

These were likely skipped due to an 11 p.m. curfew as the show ended right at 11 p.m.

Thanks to my fiance Kathy for getting a set list :cheekkiss

I had such an incredible time this weekend that it already feels like a dream. Thanks to all who helped me hold my spot, etc. because my friend bailed on me at the last minute. Thanks to some great people, I never felt alone. Since the shows themselves have left me speechless, I thought I'd share my photos (for those of you that didn't get my card). I have been processing all day and it will literally take me weeks to get through them all, but I have some early favorites up at jsarnerphoto.com - keep checking back. I also put a little taste below.

Lastly, a special thanks to Nels and John for signing my photos, to my good friends who sat on line and sprinted across the field with me (on both nights), viatroy for being so kind when I lost her ticket (and so excited when I found her another), my friends who gave me some water when I REALLY needed it during Tweedy's set, and the wonderful person who is going to send me a copy of my dream recording - just when I thought I would never find it - you know who you are :worship

Enjoy the pictures - see you next year (or sooner),

Josh

Gallery Link

972398059_tUd3h-XL.jpg

Nice photo, Josh! I hope your Nels print fared okay. ;)

Wow, I'm back at work now, which means ... I have a moment to post in this thread. The whole weekend was wonderful, but what stands out for me from the Saturday night show is "Laminated Cat" electric, with the full band. Holy shit, was it great.

Nice photo, Josh! I hope your Nels print fared okay. ;)

Wow, I'm back at work now, which means ... I have a moment to post in this thread. The whole weekend was wonderful, but what stands out for me from the Saturday night show is "Laminated Cat" electric, with the full band. Holy shit, was it great.

Actually, the Nels autograph wasn't as bad as it looked. I used a blower on the paint chips and carefully cleaned the streaks/smudges and it came out looking pretty darn nice. I felt like I was restoring a Rembrandt!

I would request that the next stage lighting design NOT include the bright interrogation spotlights behind the band -- that was pretty distracting. I did love the flickering tubes tho!

• 1 month later...

Hey Brennan! How you doing? Just today, I upgraded from a 30 gig to an 80 gig ipod, so I am up for whatever you've got to offer. (I was so frustrated with having to unsync old stuff to make way for new stuff!) So yes, bring it on! I love her new album,. don't you?