Nels Cline and Jon Brion at Largo

For anyone in the Los Angeles area, Nels Cline and Jon Brion will convene for their latest night of completely improvised music at Largo at the Coronet this Saturday, August 28. It's hard to describe what they manage to accomplish at these gigs, except to warn you to check all expectations at the door. There'll be some rock, some esoteric stuff, and some random noises. However, they're also capable of exceedingly delicate and exquisite acoustic pieces. Really, your guess is as good as anyone's.

This is actually their first show together in a year, and it's hard to say when they'll come back together for another show. Alas, my streak of hitting all their shows will be broken, as I can't make it to this gig. But if I didn't have previous plans, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I hope someone else hits this date!

For anyone in the Los Angeles area, Nels Cline and Jon Brion will convene for their latest night of completely improvised music at Largo at the Coronet this Saturday, August 28.

Yes, yes, yes! Couldn't agree more with (or express better) the sentiments of the eloquent pnêyu. LAites, get thee to Largo for this one! Watching Messrs. Brion and Cline create is a treat too rarely experienced, especially given their busy schedules. :thumbup

Alas, I won't be able to be there this time either. But a small part of me will wish I was. If anyone gets there, please report back!

And not to totally hijack this thread, but Brooklyn Vegan just posted some nice photos of Nels sitting in with Jim Campilongo's trio at the Living Room in New York a couple of days ago. I think it was the second time Nels has done so and the results, by most accounts, were pretty spectacular! :cheers

I finally got to see Nels and Jon together at Largo in September of '08, and I really enjoyed it. It's tough to predict what's going to happen at any given show, but no matter what, it will be interesting! I hope to make it back one of these days. Even better, I wish Jon and Nels would take to the road together. (Ha!)

I have no doubt that this will be awesome. I hope a VCer can go and report back here for all of us who can't be there tonight.

It's also worth mentioning that Nels will be playing as part of two groups at the Angel City Jazz Festival in LA in early October. One of them is the CD and book release for the long-awaited Dirty Baby project that will include poetry by David Breskin, art by Ed Ruscha, and music by two ensembles that Nels assembled, some of whom will be playing at the release (Nels and his brother Alex, Scott Amendola, Danny Frankel, Vinny Golia, Dan Clucas, Bill Barrett, Wayne Peet, Brad Dutz, Jeremy Drake, Jeff Gauthier, and Jessica Catron). That will be at 7 on October 7 and is free! Just about everyone involved with the project will be there, and books will be available for purchase and signing. Information about location and how to RSVP is available here.

I swore to myself I wasn't going to buy the deluxe set with the book and a few CDs of both music and poetry, but I had the chance to see an advance copy over the summer, and the first thought that popped into my head was WANT. It's beautiful. I did hear that a CD of just the music from the project would be available at some point, I think through Cryptogramophone.

I have no doubt that this will be awesome. I hope a VCer can go and report back here for all of us who can't be there tonight.

It's also worth mentioning that Nels will be playing as part of two groups at the Angel City Jazz Festival in LA in early October. One of them is the CD and book release for the long-awaited Dirty Baby project that will include poetry by David Breskin, art by Ed Ruscha, and music by two ensembles that Nels assembled, some of whom will be playing at the release (Nels and his brother Alex, Scott Amendola, Danny Frankel, Vinny Golia, Dan Clucas, Bill Barrett, Wayne Peet, Brad Dutz, Jeremy Drake, Jeff Gauthier, and Jessica Catron). That will be at 7 on October 7 and is free! Just about everyone involved with the project will be there, and books will be available for purchase and signing. Information about location and how to RSVP is available here.

I swore to myself I wasn't going to buy the deluxe set with the book and a few CDs of both music and poetry, but I had the chance to see an advance copy over the summer, and the first thought that popped into my head was WANT. It's beautiful. I did hear that a CD of just the music from the project would be available at some point, I think through Cryptogramophone.

There's an interview with Breskin about the Dirty Baby project at Artinfo.