Mermaid Ave. Vinyl

Hey all. I was browsing a vinyl forum, and a user gave me the heads up that they still have VINYL copies of Mermaid Ave. at the UK Billy Bragg store. As far as he can tell, his copy does not look like a reissue or anything, has the inserts and all. I often see sealed copies of this record go on eBay for $70 or even $90 bucks. Anyways, I ordered mine and it came out to about $25. Should be here in a couple weeks. Thought I'd give my fellow vinyl-loving VCers a heads up. Just please don't buy all the copies and flip them on eBay!

http://www.billybragg.co.uk/store/music.html

(I've attached his picture of the record)

DSCF6534.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all. I was browsing a vinyl forum, and a user gave me the heads up that they still have VINYL copies of Mermaid Ave. at the UK Billy Bragg store. As far as he can tell, his copy does not look like a reissue or anything, has the inserts and all. I often see sealed copies of this record go on eBay for $70 or even $90 bucks. Anyways, I ordered mine and it came out to about $25. Should be here in a couple weeks. Thought I'd give my fellow vinyl-loving VCers a heads up. Just please don't buy all the copies and flip them on eBay!

DSCF6534.jpg

Not sure what your seeing there, but when I go to your link theres nothing in the store about Mermaid LP's. Maybe they took them down already or something, but it doesn't look like any are for sale anymore. Theres only the CD for sale.

DSCF6534.jpg

i only see it available in cd format from that link. if you click vinyl it comes up, but the description says it's cd.

Quick Overview

Billy Bragg and Wilco.

Elektra CD 7559-62204-2

First released June 1998.

I ordered one too.

I bet the Bragg merch people are like "WTF is going on here?"

Theyve probably had a few of these sitting on a shelf somewhere for years wondering why no one ever bought them, or how they would ever get rid of them, and then one day they get 40 orders or something. I don't believe there was a 2nd pressing of this.

Mermaid II isnt on vinyl, and is the last remaining wilco release not on vinyl. I have been hoping they would put it out, or maybe reissue mermaid one and include mermaid two in a box set type thing.

The original pressing of Mermaid Ave isnt anything to write home about. Thin vinyl, no gatefold, etc. But it is cool to have. I was out of work for the first half of this year for the most part and I sold some of my rarer vinyl to get by :( Mermaid Ave was one of my victims (sold it for $100 on amazon)because I was gambling that it would be reissued at least within the next few years. Now it looks like I get to get a copy much sooner than I thought I would :)

I kind of think when they start the new Label, this will be re released. It seems somewhat silly for me to have bands that have albums selling for 50-100 dollars on the open market and for them not to reissue them. Other people are making their money, especially if there is a market at such a high price.

Im also hoping for a b-sides release on vinyl sometime soon, that would be awesome!

due to the sale on wilco's site, i'm thinking of ordering the autumn defense's "circles" on vinyl--- only $12. they were great at solid sound, but i've yet to hear their studio material. can anyone vouch for this album?

due to the sale on wilco's site, i'm thinking of ordering the autumn defense's "circles" on vinyl--- only $12. they were great at solid sound, but i've yet to hear their studio material. can anyone vouch for this album?

my favorite lazy sunday morning record to spin! :thumbup

anyone have any info on where to buy "Down with Wilco" on vinyl? Been meaning to pick it up for years but haven't gotten around to it.

I think they recently sold out, because they used to have a purchase button next to the picture where its says "CD: $9.99"

This was right after Solid Sound when I was checking out Minus 5 on the yeproc store. So my guess is that they definitely had some copies recently, but now they're gone.

I feel like this album won't be such a hard find at a good price elsewhere on the internet over time...but time will tell, as it usually does.

I think they recently sold out, because they used to have a purchase button next to the picture where its says "CD: $9.99"

This was right after Solid Sound when I was checking out Minus 5 on the yeproc store. So my guess is that they definitely had some copies recently, but now they're gone.

I feel like this album won't be such a hard find at a good price elsewhere on the internet over time...but time will tell, as it usually does.

Hope so. Right now fourty bucks is the cheapest I've seen.