Jeff Tweedy 8.28.10 Chicago, IL

I thought that perhaps by two days post-show I'd be caught up on sleep AND have my thoughts carefully organized, but that hasn't happened. So instead I'll just say what I can before more time passes and I don't express the thanks that are due. Thanks, of course, to the Tweedys. These shows take a lot of time--organizing, preparing, performing--and it's time that they carve out of schedules that are already packed. It's so generous and infinitely appreciated. Thanks also to Hotel SnS for outstanding hospitality. And canine entertainment to boot? Unbeatable. Thanks for letting us "turn up the heat" in your basement.

The show was amazing. I couldn't have felt more comfortable in that room Saturday night; it was a one-of-a-kind atmosphere. I especially loved hearing Country Disappeared and Big Rock Candy Mountain, and, for me, I can't imagine the "Thank You, Friends" singalong being topped. I guess that's ultimately the sentiment I wish to express: thank you, friends.

I guess that's ultimately the sentiment I wish to express: thank you, friends.

Very nicely put all around, T! All I can add is what a joy it personally was to spend a long, sweaty, intimate, altogether memorable (and did I mention sweaty?) evening in a basement with so many of my favorite people on the planet. :cheekkiss

Thanks to the denizens of the Hotel SnS (canine and otherwise) for hosting, to everyone for traveling from far and near and to the Tweedys for everything! The fact that Jeff and Susan stayed so long with a big show in another city less than 24 hours later is a true testament to their generosity and spirit, which is incredible. :thumbup

Since I guess somebody was bound to do this eventually, I guess it might as well be me... :ninja

Here was the complete setlist, as played:

Blasting Fonda

Gun

Wrote A Song For Everyone [Creedence Clearwater Revival]

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Impossible Germany (with Zach Paul on guitar)

Reservations

Jesus, etc.

So Much Wine [The Handsome Family]

Someone Else's Song

Freight Train [Elizabeth Cotten]

Simple Twist Of Fate [bob Dylan]

—pee break 1—

Reflections In A Crystal Wind [Richard and Mimi Farina]

Country Disappeared

Nothing Up My Sleeve

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

Kamera (with Martin Rivas on guitar)

Via Chicago

Look Out For My Love [Neil Young]

Dirty Old Town [The Pogues]

A Magazine Called Sunset

Summer Teeth

The Ruling Class

More Like The Moon

She’s A Jar

Cars Can’t Escape

—pee break 2—

Childlike And Evergreen

Henry and the H-Bombs [Mott The Hoople]

Strangers [The Kinks]

Either Way

Radio King

When The Roses Bloom Again

Big Rock Candy Mountain [Harry McClintock]

Walk Where He Walked

Misunderstood

Not For The Season

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

Thank You Friends [big Star]

Candyfloss

Holy Shit! Freight Train!!??

That is incredible. At least to me. I'm only familiar with this song through Taj Mahal, who does it pretty often. I'm going to have to check Wilco Base to see how often he has played this.

Thanks for that. Is there some type of hidden law that allows participants of different Living Room Shows to do B&P's? I have to hear this! :)

EDIT: All I saw on WB was "Fragment of Elizabeth Cotten song" twice in 2006 :blink

Actually, Jeff also played "Fragment of Elizabeth Cotten song" on Saturday. I think it's from a song called "I'm Going Away."

I feel like I've already said most of what I needed to say to those involved, but it was truly a grand night. The whole weekend, for that matter. I loved hearing "Reflections in a Crystal Wind" for the first time in person. It's a great song, and Jeff plays it so well.

I also ate two mini Guinness cupcakes last night for dinner.

Very nicely put all around, T! All I can add is what a joy it personally was to spend a long, sweaty, intimate, altogether memorable (and did I mention sweaty?) evening in a basement with many of my favorite people on the planet. :cheekkiss

Thanks to the denizens of the Hotel SnS for hosting, to everyone for traveling from far and near and to the Tweedys for everything! The fact that Jeff and Susan stayed so long with a big show in another city less than 24 hours later is a true testament to their generosity and spirit, which is incredible. :thumbup

Since I guess somebody was bound to do this eventually, I guess it might as well be me... :ninja

Here was the complete setlist, as played:

Blasting Fonda

Nothing Up My Sleeve

More Like The Moon

Cars Can’t Escape

Childlike And Evergreen

Walk Where He Walked

:music

Reflections In A Crystal Wind [Richard and Mimi Farina]

Big Rock Candy Mountain [Harry McClintock]

When You Wake Up Feeling Old

wow!!!

i was listening to Harry's Big rock candy mountain yesterday!

I guess that's ultimately the sentiment I wish to express: thank you, friends.

I'll never listen to that song again without thinking of the fun we had and all the people I have to thank for it. I feel truly blessed to know each and every one of you.

For me, the highlight of any show is a moment when things threaten to go off the rails or something unexpected and spontaneous happens. From the comedy of Zelda the pug to the Neil Young cover (that all Canadian children learn in school), the entire evening was all kinds of awesome. And did I mention there were tiny fruit pies on a stick? And mini chocolate Guinness cakes that you could eat with a spoon (moaning with pleasure between bites)? Only Chicago could hold so much love and joy.

xo

I had such a good time with You People. The line between hot and cozy melted. And the More Like The Moon stands out to me among the other gems. Can't express enough thanks to Sam and Sooz and Sue and Jeff and Zelda. And the little pies were the icing on the cake, if such a thing can be said.

I've been seeing all you Beautiful People on Facebook and thought that perhaps this was a "Top Secret" LRS, since I hadn't seen a thread here til just this morning. :) Looks like you all had a great time in the basement. A question for the hosts: how in the World did you happen to score the door off a Chicago police cruiser?

Is it really the last round for LRS? Say it ain't so...

One musical highlight that stands out in my mind is "Dirty Old Town," unfailingly requested every year, but finally granted. It sounded great too!

Every year we get to do this is a gift, but if this is indeed the last year of these shows, I can't imagine a better capper than the appropriately named Big Star song and our traditional "Candyfloss" jig. Oh wait, I can think of a couple of tiny details: maybe a stand-alone power generator for the soft serve machine?

What a perfect setlist! It was great to see all the usual suspects; you are all so very lovely. Thanks S&S for the hospitality. I think my favorite song of the night was Big Rock Candy Mountain(brilliant choice, Alison); the lyrics are just so tasty (see below) and the Tweedy version is as excellent as you'd ever imagine:

One evening as the sun went down, and the jungle fire was burning,

Down the track came a hobo hiking, and he said boys I'm not turning,

I'm headed for a land that's far away, beside the crystal fountain,

So come with me we'll go and see, the big rock candy mountains.

In the big rock candy mountains, there's a land that's fair and bright,

Where the handouts grow on bushes, and you sleep out every night.

Where the boxcars all are empty, and the sun shines every day,

On the birds and bees and the cigarette trees,

the lemonade springs where the bluebird sings,

in the big rock candy mountains.

in the big rock candy mountains, all the cops have wooden legs,

and the bulldogs all have rubber teeth, and the hens lay soft boiled eggs.

The farmers trees are full of fruit, and the barns are full of hay,

Well I'm bound to go where there ain't no snow,

where the rain don't flow and the wind don't blow,

in the big rock candy mountains, you never change your socks,

and the little streams of alcohol, come a tricklin' down the rocks.

The brakemen have to tip their hats, and the railroad bulls are blind,

There's a lake of stew and a whisky too,

you can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe,

In the big rock candy mountains, the jails are made of tin,

And you can walk right out again, as soon as you are in.

There ain't no short handled shovels, no axes, saws, or picks.

I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,

Where they hung the jerk who invented work

In the big rock candy mountains.

I'll see you all this comin' fall in the big rock candy mountains.

As for the power generator comment, I think a separate generator for the sno-cone maker would have made the night better too. My 5 year old son would have lasted much longer if the darn thing was working! He fell to the floor and cried, "but I've never had a sno-cone before! I need one! Oh mama, what do they taste like??..."

The night came and went too quickly. If the LR shows are not auctioned off next year, I expect to see you all in the Berkshires next summer. And for the record, I loved the beer at Solid Sound Festival. xxoo

You forgot the attempt at Monkberry Moon Delight, which I will have to learn to play myself, now.

a cover of one of the funkiest post-Beatles McCartney songs ever?

I read this set list and was stunned. What an amazing selection of tunes~!

I had such a good time with You People. The line between hot and cozy melted. And the More Like The Moon stands out to me among the other gems. Can't express enough thanks to Sam and Sooz and Sue and Jeff and Zelda. And the little pies were the icing on the cake, if such a thing can be said.

I was torn between that request and the couple I had in the back of my head all summer, so I was relieved when Judy used it. Those Spanish guitar solos - I could listen for hours. :wub

I confirmed my suspicions on WilcoBase - aside from a couple performances in 2006/07 there would have been no way for me to see Jeff play Via Chicago solo, so it was very appropriate for me to finally see him play it - in Chicago, with my friends, in my friends' basement. That song became a big part of settling in this city and the dear friends I've made in the last 7 years.

having a nice time reviewing the photos and great memories from the night. Thank you Hotel S&S for hospitality over the years, thank you friends for having such great taste in food and music and for making the trip to Chicago, and thank you Jeff and Susan for the music, the shows and your generosity. Maybe not quite Ladies and Gentlemen, but we certainly wouldn't be here it wasn't for you.

since he played Big rock candy mountain, i found this awesome animation to the original Harry version on youtube. God, i've loved that song for years!

Just got around to watching this. It's completely charming! And at the very end, the credits list Anne Tweedy as the production supervisor. I'm sure that's just some weird naming coincidence, but a cosmic one, don't you think?

Just got around to watching this. It's completely charming! And at the very end, the credits list Anne Tweedy as the production supervisor. I'm sure that's just some weird naming coincidence, but a cosmic one, don't you think?

i noticed that too. maybe Jeff saw the clip before i did!