2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont understand, Cincinnati and Tampa Bay are in playoff contention, playing great baseball, and their fans just don't show up to the ballpark and support their team. sad, sad, sad.........

Everyone stayed home last night to watch Obama's speech. Then Wipeout was on.

Supposedly Manny isn't playing tonight. It's unclear if this is his idea or Ozzie's. Since he's DHing, he should be playing just about every day.

He showed up late, apparently.

Gaby Sanchez with the wicked clothesline on Nyjer Morgan tonight. That was some WWF stuff.

It was pretty crazy.

Here is what I don't get - I know it is one of those unwritten baseball rules that you don't steal when your team is up by a lot of runs but I had never heard that it was bad form to steal when you are down by a lot of runs. The coverage I saw last night made it seem like Morgan's steals were what set the whole thing off.

And speaking of crazy, Nyjer Morgan is kind of crazy. Did you see the play Friday night where he unnecessarily crashed into the catcher and in doing so missed home plate and was called out?

It was pretty crazy.

Here is what I don't get - I know it is one of those unwritten baseball rules that you don't steal when your team is up by a lot of runs but I had never heard that it was bad form to steal when you are down by a lot of runs. The coverage I saw last night made it seem like Morgan's steals were what set the whole thing off.

And speaking of crazy, Nyjer Morgan is kind of crazy. Did you see the play Friday night where he unnecessarily crashed into the catcher and in doing so missed home plate and was called out?

Well, what sparked it was he crashed into the catcher the night before (and was out yet again) and put him on the DL. The next night, the Marlins hit him, and he proceeded to steal 2nd and 3rd on the next two pitches while down by 11 and talked a lot of shit when he got to each base while doing so, apparently. The Marlins' pitcher didn't like this, so he threw behind him in his next at bat.

Morgan received a 7 game suspension last week for throwing a ball into the stands last week in Philly. He hit a woman in the head with it. I believe he's currently appealing the suspension, that's why he's still playing. I think he may have a hard time getting it reduced now. In fact he'll probably get more time for the fight and then taunting the Marlins' fans after it.

And yes, the Sanchez shot reminded me of the WWE also! Looked like it was 10 Marlins against one Morgan. All things considered, he had it coming.

Still, you gotta admit, it's a pretty classy move to throw at a guy you've already hit once on purpose when you're up 15-5.

True. Morgan's marked himself though. That catcher he took out (when he didn't have to) has a seperated shoulder, so emotions are high. No excuse, I know, but Morgan is cocky. The Marlins pitcher hit two other batters in the game. Control was not prominent in this game, obviously.

For the record, I don't mind stealing when there's a huge gap in the score, especially if it's the losing team. This is an offensive era, so you keep playing to score. The Nats ended up scoring 10. In most games that gets you a victory.

Oh, I'm not defending Morgan at all. He's had two recent incidents with running into catchers unnecessarily, and he got hit for it in the third inning, took his base, did some aggressive baserunning and ultimately scored. Volstad shouldn't have put him on base if he didn't want him to act like a baserunner.

The second one was excessive. Morgan's definitely a dick, though.

Oh, I'm not defending Morgan at all. He's had two recent incidents with running into catchers unnecessarily, and he got hit for it in the third inning, took his base, did some aggressive baserunning and ultimately scored. Volstad shouldn't have put him on base if he didn't want him to act like a baserunner.

The second one was excessive. Morgan's definitely a dick, though.

I personally don't have a problem with Morgan stealing the bases, but I also can understand why Volstad did.

I think pretty much everything that happened in that game was a pretty reasonable reaction to a prior action.

I personally don't have a problem with Morgan stealing the bases, but I also can understand why Volstad did.

I think pretty much everything that happened in that game was a pretty reasonable reaction to a prior action.

Well, the second one was just trying to provoke a fight.

And although he didn't need to knock over the catcher the night before, dude was standing on the plate. Don't stand on the plate if you don't want to get knocked over. It's a shame he got hurt, but he does bear some responsibility for the outcome. Volstad hit Morgan and that should have been the end of it.