2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also:

Giants re-sign Aubrey Huff for two years plus an option.

Jeter and the Yanks will not go through the arbitration process to decide his contract, as they declined to offer it. If, for some bizarre reason, Jeter signs elsewhere, they will not even receive draft picks for their captain.

It's being widely reported that Terry Collins will be the next manager of the Mets. In his last two managerial posts he was good at getting his teams to second place and really, really pissing off his players to the point of mutiny.

If he can get the Mets to second place, God bless him. He is probably not the evil devil he has been made out to be, but will not have a lot of good will with the fans, as we all wanted Wally Backman.

Jeter and the Yanks will not go through the arbitration process to decide his contract, as they declined to offer it. If, for some bizarre reason, Jeter signs elsewhere, they will not even receive draft picks for their captain.

This Jeter/Yankees negotiation is getting weird. I'm sure he'll re-sign with the Yanks but they are pretty far apart right now and it's unusual (for them) to be playing it out through the media like this.

I think the Yankees figure they need to shore up their position in the media and shame Jeter into signing for a smaller number, which could backfire, but probably won't (if Jeter bolts, the Yankees can at least claim that they made him a fair offer).

Jeter made $22.6 million this year and didn't play all that well. They've offered him what, $45 million for three years? And he's 36? He should jump on that, because he's not going to get a $15 million per year offer anywhere else.

Something tells me that is is very good theater. There's no logical way that Jeter demands that much money when he knows the executives are going after Cliff Lee who would mean a whole lot more to them than Jeter. I thought a month ago that Jeter would take a hometown discount, since this could possibly be his last 3 years.

Scenario A: Yankees sign Cliff Lee for a shitload of money and then they mention that Jeter took a pay cut and comes out looking like roses with such quotes as "I took a look in the mirror and realized that this is what is best for the ball club".

Scenario B : Yankees miss out on Cliff Lee and they offer the same package to Jeter and he stays put. And they try to put together a package deal for Felix Hernandez because there isn't much else out there in terms of top notch quality pitching.

My friend and I wondered if the Yankees don't retain Jeter, if they will turn around next year and sign Evan Longoria and move A-Rod over to SS. We both agreed that their pitching is in a state of shambles and Cliff Lee knows that Texas has a better pitching staff and amazing players. Cliff Lee would be allured by the almighty dollar and mystique of playing on the big stage to sign with New York. Last time I checked the Rangers were the A.L. Champions and the team that housed the MVP and Rookie Of The Year.

Evan Longoria signed a long-term contract his rookie year (short-changing himself in the process). It'll be 4 or 5 years before he hits free agency.

I've been hearing Jeter wants the Yanks to afford him the same treatment A-Hole received when he opted out of his contract, which is $25MM per year. His agent is pushing that the Yanks captain, albeit older, has done more for the Yankees than Rodriguez had at that point. New York may have won one with A-Hole after signing a new deal, but his steroids admission soils his already shaky reputation. Derek Jeter, has been above board from day one and is set to become the one and only Yankee to achieve 3000 hits next season. Nobody else would have given Rodriguez the deal the Yankees gave him and they knew it when they offered it to him; yet the team won't reward Jeter with the same treatment.

Jeter himself has been pretty quiet about his free agency. Beyond New York his value is lesser. I do think the Angels could pay him a little more than the Yanks current offer, if only for his leadership skills. They'd like to win another championship and he could make a difference. The Giants, despite having been just crowned world champs, could also find Jeter useful for the same purpose. If they weren't strapped with Zito's contract, this scenario would be more possible. And one team, the Rays, could use the man as a gate attraction. They'd have to put all their eggs in one basket, but it could be a last ditch effort to find out if anyone in the Tampa area gives a shit about baseball. If a Yankee can't draw in Tampa, nobody short of Albert Pujols can. Still, even if the Rays pull in another 5K fans per game, they're still looking at less than 25K every night. The Rays could also utilize his championship attitude, but the fan novelty may wear off after the first year; plus the Trop has field turf and Jeter's fading skills may be more damaging on the artificial surface.

The onus seems to be on Derek Jeter, but only time will tell. For the fans, other than wanting Jeter to be a lifetime Yankee, it will be all about winning. If he goes or stays and the Yanks win, the fans will justify the decision. Should the Yanks not win another Series with him, the fan base will question if his salary could have been spent elsewhere. And if Jeter leaves and the Yankees don't win, it will be hard for Yankee fans to forgive Brian Cashman (and maybe even Jeter himself), especially if Derek Jeter wins another ring in a different uniform.

Adrian Gonzalez to Boston Red Sox

Wow! This is one of the best belated birthday presents yet.

I called this a month ago that this would be done before spring training and before the July 31st deadline. And it looks like the Red Sox really made out on the deal. They only are giving up Casey Kelly who may or may not be amazing. I hope that he is, but we won't find out for awhile. 1B Anthony Rizzo and CF Rey Fuentes and one player to be named later are part of the package to San Diego.

My next prediction: Sox sign Werth this week. And he ends up playing left field.

Werth signs with the Nationals: 7 years and $126 million. Wow ...

Actually, now Tom Hicks is off the hook for signing the worst contract in Baseball History.

A 7-year contract for a 32 year old player? Are you shitting me?

I don't think anyone saw that coming regarding Werth going to the Nationals.

Anyways, I think the Red Sox are far from over in terms of making a few more moves. They really wanted Werth and I think they will try Options A and B.

A) Sign Carl Crawford. Gonzalez only makes $6 million in 2011 and whatever deal he makes for an extension won't come about until closer to Opening Day. They could potentially land him, but...

B ) They make a trade for Justin Upton that takes care of some younger players who won't be in the Red Sox future. And they are: SS Jed Lowrie, 1B Lars Andersen and OF Jacoby Ellsbury.

Lars seems like the easiest movable piece of the bunch because there's no way he's going to wind up playing with Gonzalez and Youkilis there for a very long time.

Lowrie won't be around come 2012 when Jose Iglesias will become the full times SS for the Sox. Boston sports writers hail him as the next great SS of their organization.

Ellsbury seems like a logical move to obtain someone like Upton in return. Plus, the Sox still have Ryan Kalish to take over in either LF or RF for J.D. Drew in 2012.

C) None of the above happen and the Red Sox take care of the Padres and send them SS Jed Lowrie as the Player To Be Named Later in the Gonzalez deal. And they keep Scutaro on until 2012.

Rumor of the day: Josh Willingham for Zach Greinke. (I like that one.) And 9 other possible locations

Rumor of the day: Josh Willingham for Zach Greinke. (I like that one.) And 9 other possible locations

Gonna take a whole lot more than someone like Willingham to pry Greinke out of KC, and I'd bet DC does not want to part with Storen. That report isn't rumors, they're fairy tales. The only thing in there that makes sense is Texas. Unless the Royals get blown away by an offer, Greinke most likely will be an in-season trade. At this point, if someone really wanted him bad enough, they would have coughed up the prospects by now.