2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Phillies are going to have to win in the next two years, because they're going to have some absolutely horrifying contracts (Howard for $20 mil+ until he's 37 and Lee for $20 mil until he's 38).

The Phillies are counting on the Mayans being right and the world coming to an end in December 2012

What's amazing is that Lee apparently turned down an additional $50 million from the Yanks and maybe the Rangers. He's not going to make that money back when this new contract ends at age 37.

The really amazing thing is the Yankees were the third place finisher here...

What's amazing is that Lee apparently turned down an additional $50 million from the Yanks and maybe the Rangers. He's not going to make that money back when this new contract ends at age 37.

We'll probably never know the details, since the Yankees offer had a lot of details to hammer out, but this ESPN article suggests the gap was closer to $13 million.

Red Sox send Eric Patterson to complete the Adrian Gonzalez deal.

AND

They just signed Bobby Jenks for 2 years for $11/12 million.

Could Papelbon be on the move?

Also, Josh Willingham was traded to the A's for Henry Rodriguez and Corey Brown. The A's now have an outfield of Willingham, Coco Crisp and David DeJesus. That looks pretty decent.

I haven't been this giddy about a Wisconsin sports deal since Reggie White signed with the Packers. Things like this just don't happen to Brewers fans. We gave up a lot, but in my view the only painful loss was Lorenzo Cain.

Does this make the Brewers a contender? I think it does. The Cards (who also upgraded) are still the team to beat in the NL Central, but the Brewers ought to be competitive and at least figure in a wild card hunt. Last year the Brewers had the 4th best offense in the NL; what ruined the Brewers was their miserable pitching, which was ranked 14th. Consider the 2009 pitching staff: Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, and a rotating horror show of Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, Chris Narveson, Manny Parra, Doug Davis, and Chris Capuano (and let's not overlook how Trevor Hoffman blew save after save until John Axford replaced him).

Adding Greinke is huge, but almost as important is the earlier addition of Shaun Marcum, another solid arm. The likely 2010 rotation: Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson. That's not a minor improvement; that's a major overhaul that should be more than enough to support a top-shelf offense.

The offense will return nearly intact--minus Escobar, one of the least productive hitters on the team. His replacement, Yuniesky Betancourt, is a lesser fielder but can at least hit big-league pitching. And Prince Fielder will be in a contract year. Couple that very potent offense with a serviceable-to-strong pitching staff, and this team should be competitive.

I haven't been this giddy about a Wisconsin sports deal since Reggie White signed with the Packers. Things like this just don't happen to Brewers fans. We gave up a lot, but in my view the only painful loss was Lorenzo Cain.

Does this make the Brewers a contender? I think it does. The Cards (who also upgraded) are still the team to beat in the NL Central, but the Brewers ought to be competitive and at least figure in a wild card hunt. Last year the Brewers had the 4th best offense in the NL; what ruined the Brewers was their miserable pitching, which was ranked 14th. Consider the 2009 pitching staff: Yovani Gallardo, Randy Wolf, and a rotating horror show of Jeff Suppan, Dave Bush, Chris Narveson, Manny Parra, Doug Davis, and Chris Capuano (and let's not overlook how Trevor Hoffman blew save after save until John Axford replaced him).

Adding Greinke is huge, but almost as important is the earlier addition of Shaun Marcum, another solid arm. The likely 2010 rotation: Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf, Narveson. That's not a minor improvement; that's a major overhaul that should be more than enough to support a top-shelf offense.

The offense will return nearly intact--minus Escobar, one of the least productive hitters on the team. His replacement, Yuniesky Betancourt, is a lesser fielder but can at least hit big-league pitching. And Prince Fielder will be in a contract year. Couple that very potent offense with a serviceable-to-strong pitching staff, and this team should be competitive.

Plus it's the NL Central, which isn't all that competitive, but don't forget the Reds. The Crew have given up quite a lot for their two new pitchers, but they'll get a few back or draft picks for Fielder. I've read Greinke always wanted to be a hitter. Now he'll get a few chances to be one.

Beltman, yes!! Brewers nab Greinke. Brewers making some deals. I read about the possibility of the trade late Saturday night so I wasn't so surprised when it became official Sunday but I'm still absorbing the trade. I think it is a great deal. Greinke has a lot of potential to be a great pitcher in the NL.

Does the deal make the Brewers a contender? Reds/Cards will be tough but if the pitching staff does well, new manager/new philosophy, good offense, i think they can make a decent run at it.

The Royals' Billy Butler just did an interview on XM's Homeplate, and he said Zack Greinke sucked the life out of their clubhouse last year. Greinke didn't do anything like Manny, but he was generally moody and a pouter. Butler doesn't feel Greinke was more qualified to complain because he brought home a Cy Young, and that it was every players job to just play. The Royals gave him an extended contract, which he didn't have to sign, so he could have played in KC until free agency; but he made a committment. Most importantly in Billy Butler's view, the Royals stuck with Greinke when he struggling in his personal life, but Greinke wasn't willing to stick with the Royals and his teammates as they struggle on the field. He feels Greinke bailed on the people who supported him, nursing him along until he became the star they projected him to be, and I have to agree with Butler on that point alone.

From Phillies beat writer Todd Zolecki:

The Lee Contract

I know much of Cliff Lee's $120 million contract has been written and dissected, but here are the complete details, including performance bonuses, if you're interested:

2011: $11 million

2012: $21.5 million

2013: $25 million

2014: $25 million

2015: $25 million

The Phillies have a $27.5 million club option for 2016, or a $12.5 million buyout. The option vests if Lee is NOT on the disabled list at the end of the 2015 season with either a left shoulder or left elbow injury AND either (a) 200 innings pitched in 2015 or (B) 400 innings pitched in 2014-15. Lee also has awards bonuses: $50,000 for All-Star appearances; $100,000 for World Series MVP; $50,000 for LCS MVP; $100,000 for Cy Young ($75,000 for second; $50,000 for third); $50,000 for Gold Glove; and $50,000 for Silver Slugger.

The Phils have Rollins, Ibanez and Lidge (who also has a team option for 2012) in their final year under contract, so they make this work by under-paying Lee by $10MM in 2011. The 2016 $12.5MM team option buyout for Lee sure is a doozy, though. He'll be financially better off breaking his neck in 2015 than blowing out his arm.

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, Uribe wasn't charged with killing anyone. Just shooting.

You are correct, citizen. Thank you.

Simon's charges have been reduced to involuntary manslaughter. He claims to have been shooting celebratory shots into the air honoring the new year.

Congratulations to The Flying Dutchman; Alomar can stop by my place on his way to Cooperstown and blow me.