2010 MLB - Playoffs and hot stove!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon further review Michael Young has decided he does not want to be a DH, so he has requested the Rangers to explore trading him.

Young was a little slow at 3B, but still is a viable option for SS and especially 2B. However, he still has $16MM per year coming to him for the next three seasons. The Rangers will have to swallow about a year's worth of that, unless they trade him for another high-paid player. Young also has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, but he becomes a 5/10 player in May, in which case he has full no-trade player's rights under the CBA.

Upon further review Michael Young has decided he does not want to be a DH, so he has requested the Rangers to explore trading him.

Young was a little slow at 3B, but still is a viable option for SS and especially 2B. However, he still has $16MM per year coming to him for the next three seasons. The Rangers will have to swallow about a year's worth of that, unless they trade him for another high-paid player. Young also has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, but he becomes a 5/10 player in May, in which case he has full no-trade player's rights under the CBA.

It would seem that Young's career stats have been padded by playing in Arlington. He has a career OPS of .733 on the road. .679 on the road last year. I think Texas would have to pay for 2 years if they traded him for middling prospects. Then again, the Angels took on almost the entirety of that Vernon Wells contract, so I guess there's no saying.

That report was from the Rangers. Young says he wants out because he was deceived by Rangers management about the possibility of being traded after they acquired Beltre and Napoli.

My opinion: Moreland is good, but will probably never be great. I'd trade him while his value is high in a package for a top of the rotation starter, and play Young at first. The Rangers rotation is full of 3/4 starters, and I have doubts about their ability to repeat with what they have.

That report was from the Rangers. Young says he wants out because he was deceived by Rangers management about the possibility of being traded after they acquired Beltre and Napoli.

My opinion: Moreland is good, but will probably never be great. I'd trade him while his value is high in a package for a top of the rotation starter, and play Young at first. The Rangers rotation is full of 3/4 starters, and I have doubts about their ability to repeat with what they have.

I tell you what. Pay me $48 Million over the next three years and you can decieve me, lie to me, disrespect me. I'll even walk your dog, massage your feet and do your laundry. Young's skill sets are diminishing. He was a clear liability at third last year and his hitting skills are on the decline.

I don't think he really understands the dynamics of being a long time fan favorite in one locale and heading to another. He has history here. Anywhere else he will be facing only expectations from fans that he probably won't be able to meet.

In Texas, he's MICHAEL YOUNG, 10 year veteran, good guy, all-star at two positions, our hero. Fan favorite. Face of the franchise. When he goes 0-20 here, the fans are thinking "Young'll get on track here soon. He's been good for 10 years. We know what to expect." When he can't make the play on a hard hit ball at third, the fans simply ignore it.

He gets traded to Colorado or Anaheim or wherever and he goes 0-20 and can't get to balls at third, the fans will be thinking "What the fuck?! This guy is making $16 million a year and he can't hit a ball out of the infield?! My grandmother could make those plays at third."

He is making a really big mistake and his media tantrum is basically fucking the Rangers. He's about to be a 10-5 guy. He knows the drill. He knows that complaining the media both forces the Rangers to move him and assures that the club will get screwed. No matter what happens with him, any chance he has at being the beloved MICHAEL YOUNG is gone. The fans won't forget here and the fans anywhere else will simply see an overpaid player in the waning years of his career.

I don't think he really understands the dynamics of being a long time fan favorite in one locale and heading to another. He has history here. Anywhere else he will be facing only expectations from fans that he probably won't be able to meet.

I thought about that yesterday. If Young was a free agent, he'd be looking at $16MM total for two years. Hot stove is basically over. It's going to be difficult to trade him since teams have pretty much set their teams and budgets up. If they went big money for big money, who could they get? Barry Zito?

Everything being said and done, the Rangers were convinced Cliff Lee was going to resign and they placed all their eggs in that basket. And, if the reports I hear are true, it was a done deal until the Phillies entered the picture late in the day. This shot all their plans to hell. Plan B, trading for Zack Greinke, fell apart before Lee was signed.

So the Rangers were left with needing to shore up their infield defense, (Beltre is light years better at third than the play they got from Young last year), tighten up the bullpen (Arthur Rhodes will be a key), and add to the offense. No real pitching options out there that made economic sense for the Rangers. The Napoli deal was a bit of an afterthought. Get a good player who is an option at catcher, DH and first and has a good bat. Vlad was never really in the picture here because he simply cannot play the field anymore. Young was going to be in the lineup every freaking day. At bats at DH, time at first and third, probably big time at second (Kinsler has proven to be pretty brittle the last couple of years) and some time at Short.

Shopping Young for a pitcher shouldn't have been a surprise to Young or anybody else. The Rangers did manage to win the West last year with a staff led by C. J. Wilson, Colby Lewis and Tommy Hunter. But counting on those guys repeating their '10 successes is really wishful thinking. This lineup will be nasty and if the Rangers go into the 8th with a lead, it's lights out; but they are going to need some help.

And now Young has made himself a virtual cancer. The Rangers can't keep him and his market value is shot. Why make a favorable trade with the Rangers if they are on the ropes? I wish they could put him on a 'failed to report' list and let him sit at home and watch the wall paper peel. This really pisses me off. It's all "I love the fans and the club" and "we really want to keep the player" until it gets to nut cutting time and the fans are the ones who are left hanging. I usually side with the player in these situations, but Young has totally misread the fan knowledge of the issues and does not recognize his position. He is a 34 year old player with diminishing skills at the plate and in the field who is making about twice his current market value.

Young has really sullied his reputation in my eyes. For someone who has been so starved for a winner his whole career, and is making so much more than his current actual value, it just doesn't make any sense.

I am WAY beyond disrespect for him.

shoot, I'm not sure young is at fault here - he's switched positions how many times, and contrary to popular belief, fielded his position decently at ss 2b 3b.

my opinion: mgmt f'd with him, said they had a place for him, then got caught trying to move him.

he's a clean consistent player in every facet. declining , yes, but not falling off a cliff.

many teams could benefit from his play and his character. his contract is overpriced, but that's not his fault.

trade thoughts:

helton even up

yankee prospect/ middle reliever package

blanton and some b list minor leaguers

lotsa teams could use an above average super utility guy. rangers will be (deservedly) left holding the contract....

serves em well.

I love Michael Young. But he has not fielded his position decently at all. There still is a place for him. Always has been as a DH and utility player at every infield position. So what if the Rangers contemplated moving him. I would hope any team would look to make itself better if the opportunity was there.

And....

after reviewing his career stats, I'm not convinced "declining" is legitimate......

In the immortal words of Harry Kalas: "You could look it up!"

overall feeling:

God, I'm freakin excited for spring training!!!

I love Michael Young. But he has not fielded his position decently at all. There still is a place for him. Always has been as a DH and utility player at every infield position. So what if the Rangers contemplated moving him. I would hope any team would look to make itself better if the opportunity was there.

The Yankee rally in game one of the NLCS was fueled by Young's misplaying a ground ball. And if he thinks that his chances for the HOF are being hurt by the move to DH/UT, he needs to realize his tantrum in the press will leave an impression that is not favorable to the player.

Once again, wanting to be traded isn't a crime. But burning your bridges in the press and insuring that your club will get screwed in any trade transaction is bush league.

All those years of playing for crappy clubs and he can't find it in his makeup to get 500+ at bats at DH/UT for a team that just made the World Series? He's not about winning...he's about his stats. He's not a throwback. He's a typical, modern baseball player...