• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51Sn3wcuNGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lars and the Real Girl. This was on my DVR for over a year and I never watched it until tonight.

I thought it was great ...

Count me in for liking this one very much. Such a heartfelt portrait of social anxiety and grief. Humor and mental illness don't sound like they should intertwine in a way that can be taken seriously, but this movie hits that mix perfectly.

everyday+sunshine.jpg

Watched this last night. Pretty interesting doc, gets into how the band dynamics and individual personalities in the band tore them apart over time. Other than Angelo and Norwood, not sure that any other original band members are part of the current line up.

everyday+sunshine.jpg

Watched this last night. Pretty interesting doc, gets into how the band dynamics and individual personalities in the band tore them apart over time. Other than Angelo and Norwood, not sure that any other original band members are part of the current line up.

High on my list of movies to see, when I have the chance.

Was at this Pajama Club gig in Sydney last week which featured the whole Finn family on stage - Neil, Sharon on bass, Liam on guitar , and Elroy on drums. Awesome gig - including this terrific cover of Bowie's Moonage Daydream.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8BY3xPk8IY

that was freakin wonderfultastic.

I took my son to Chicago Fear Fest over the weekend and saw a couple of pretty good horror/comedies:

abevz_wired.jpgjuan-of-the-dead-385x600.jpg

Neither have yet received regular released, but are making the festival circuit. Yet, both deserve some sort of distro. Especially Juan, which is every bit as good as the movie that it evokes -- Shaun of the Dead. Maybe not as many outright belly laughs, but plenty of laughs, nonetheless. And the characters are just wonderful. Really well-written and acted.

Also saw a couple of episodes of this one:

MV5BMTQzMjY2NTY5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM4ODE0Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR16,0,214,317_.jpg

Met Adam and Joe and the producer, Sarah, during a Q&A. Nice people. And I think that it'll be a fun series.

Good time.

So is the Lincoln Zombie flick just trying to get the jump on the Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter thing?

Not sure.

Possibly. Because the film, as shown, was mostly complete. Hadn't quite finished with post-production yet. (Although it looked pretty well-done to me.)

Whatever it was, it was fun.

cabin-in-the-woods-poster.jpg

This was freaking great!

I will tell you no more because it's one of those movies that best to see when you don't know much about it. Just... if you can handle a bit of blood and gore, you should definitely go. It's a lot of fun.

The Bridge (Bron/Broen)

http://en.wikipedia....edish_TV_series)

Shaping up very nicely after 4 episodes, almost approaching The Killing (Forbrydelsen) standards - just about the best thing ever on TV (don't mention the US remake)

http://en.wikipedia....anish_TV_series)

Haunting theme to The Bridge has been in my head a lot:-

Kicks off just after 3 minutes

I've been trying to acquire The Killing, however, it's too pricey for the time being, since it's a region 2 import hovering around 54$ US plus shipping each season, although the quality of the series is beyond doubt and does justify the price tag. However, if these series are released in America anytime soon, on Region 1, that will make the price drop a few dollars, it's a question of waiting for a domestic distribution, if it ever happens, or just making the splurge on amazon.co.uk, but as I said it's worth every pound, the Danish do excellent cinema and TV programming.

I've been trying to acquire The Killing, however, it's too pricey for the time being, since it's a region 2 import hovering around 54$ US plus shipping each season, although the quality of the series is beyond doubt and does justify the price tag. However, if these series are released in America anytime soon, on Region 1, that will make the price drop a few dollars, it's a question of waiting for a domestic distribution, if it ever happens, or just making the splurge on amazon.co.uk, but as I said it's worth every pound, the Danish do excellent cinema and TV programming.

God bless the BBC. BTW The Killing Series 2 was a bit of a letdown, so don't bother with that. It missed the strand that the first series had regarding the effect on the bereaved family (the actress playing the mother was marvellous), and its political strand was not so compelling. Everyone found themselves calling out 'TRRROOOELS' from time to time :-)

The Swedish Wallander series is excellent too - slow moving and atmospheric, and all this stuff is so well shot.

Did Heath Ledger Base His Joker On Tom Waits?

This video has been kicking around online for a couple years, but having just seen it for the first time, I thought I'd share it with you, the reader, in case we both missed it. It's a 1979 clip from Australian television's The Don Lane Show, in which a 29 year-old, highly affected Tom Waits squirms through an interview to promote his score for the film On The Nickel. Get to the exchange about two minutes in and tell me Heath Ledger didn't somehow see this clip before filming The Dark Knight...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

wkrp.jpg

Halfway through season 3 of WKRP. It's amazing how many lines and plots I've remembered after all these years.

I think it had potential to be one of the great sci-fi greats, but instead had too many REALLY BAD moments.

I know what you mean and I understand the criticism it is receiving; but I still really enjoyed it. While I do not agree, I enjoyed this review as well ( NOTE - SUPER _ SPOILERS ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1gX8Kwdg3I&feature=relmfu

MV5BNDYzMDM1NDkwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDAyMDU1MQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Watching this on Netflix now and really, really enjoying the hell out of it. (No pun intended.)