• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the cuckoo 2002 russia finland.jpg

The Cuckoo - 2002 - Russia

The originality in this film is it's greatest quality. The conversation between three people who all speak different languages/cannot understand each other is comical, clever and fun. There is something refreshing about this film that much of the Hollywood garbage I've seen of late is lacking. It's important to note something that the subtitles do not tell: The word "psholti", which is used frequently in the film,  means "f**k off" in Russian, which adds much more humor to the already hilarious dialogue between the three main characters.

It's important to note something that the subtitles do not tell: The word "psholti", which is used frequently in the film,  means "f**k off" in Russian, which adds much more humor to the already hilarious dialogue between the three main characters.

In a way, the misdirection of the subtitles seems fitting, since The Cuckoo is largely about communicating, misunderstanding, and talking merely to talk.  It's been nearly a decade since I've seen it, but I remember thinking it was very funny, particularly for its ruminations on friendship, allegiances, and the folly of war.

In a way, the misdirection of the subtitles seems fitting, since The Cuckoo is largely about communicating, misunderstanding, and talking merely to talk.  It's been nearly a decade since I've seen it, but I remember thinking it was very funny, particularly for its ruminations on friendship, allegiances, and the folly of war.

Well Said, Beltmann. My wife pointed out the translation as she was laughing hysterically. She said the interaction reminded her of her mother (who speaks no English) and me. I can attempt to speak her language but at times it is just easier to hear and believe what I want.

51ydCT0NqfL._SX500_.jpg

Not a "great" show, per se. Still, I find myself involuntarily laughing out loud several times every episode. Just fucking ridiculous, really. So, I guess that I am an absurdist.

Saw "Beast of the Southern Wild" the other nite. I can appreciate artsy fartsy but this was not it, more like amatuer hour. Pass.

"Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine" 1965. Produced by Sammy Arkoff with Frankie Avalon, Vinnie Price, a score of bikini wearing Playmates and a cameo by Annette Funicelo....whats not to like?

oslo-dvd-cover-art.jpg?w=260

Even though it is filled with resentment and quiet desperation, there's something surprisingly compassionate and vulnerable about the Norwegian Oslo, August 31st, which separates it from most stories about addiction and recovery.  It's been lingering in my mind, accumulating power after the fact.  Worth mentioning is how it offers a beautiful, lively portrait of Oslo.

"Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine" 1965. Produced by Sammy Arkoff with Frankie Avalon, Vinnie Price, a score of bikini wearing Playmates and a cameo by Annette Funicelo....whats not to like?

Oh yeah........AND the theme song is sung by the Supremes!

I saw all of these this weekend and all of them were incredible films.

That's a heckuva weekend.  I also admired all three, and, after a week of sorting out my thoughts, feel that Zero Dark Thirty might be the best American film of the year.  Equally engaging has been following all of the punditry and analyses related to its controversial elements.

That's a heckuva weekend. I also admired all three, and, after a week of sorting out my thoughts, feel that Zero Dark Thirty might be the best American film of the year. Equally engaging has been following all of the punditry and analyses related to its controversial elements.

Yeah. I've been reading a lot about the torture controversy. I never found it to be endorsing the use of torture. Just got through watching Looper. Pretty good movie, too.

I thought Andrew Sullivan's on-going series about whether Bigelow is a torture apologist was particularly interesting, since we were able to witness an opinion evolve in real-time.

Thanks for that link.  His views on the issue of torture as it's depicted in the movie nearly echo mine.  Perhaps the problem for some of the other people in the debate is that the movie doesn't do enough to counter the views of the individual moviegoer who is predisposed to thinking that torture is valuable is effective.  I guess I can see that.

But I think the film is pretty effective at demonstrating that torture is ineffective; that it may have taken so long to find UBL because of the CIA's reliance on torture early on in the process; and that torture is disgusting, barbaric, and inhumane.  I'm not sure how anyone watching the film could come to the conclusion that it presents torture as the clear link to finding him.  The only link is their ability to extract one small piece of information from a formerly tortured prisoner using a bluff.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Bigelow and Boal cowards, as Sullivan does.  That might depend on what your personal view is on the role of a filmmaker and her responsibility, if there is any.

now this is a really, really great show. probably my favorite thing currently running.

the best thing i can say about it is its not afraid to not be a comedy. the god episode is outstanding stuff.

There are so many sublime moments in this show. I only caught on for the recent season, and am now DVRing the random showings of previous seasons' eps.

I think my current favorite episode was the season 3 finale - the montage of what Louie had to go through to make sure Christmas presents were accounted for was brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...

0_0_3356657_00_320w.jpg

"Liberal Arts"

A film about people who are passionate about reading and music.....whats not to like?

Btw, is Elizabeth Olsen the new Jennifer Lawrence?

"Liberal Arts"

A film about people who are passionate about reading and music.....whats not to like?

Btw, is Elizabeth Olsen the new Jennifer Lawrence?

I thought it was a decent movie.  The dialogue in that film was a tad too "on-the-nose" at times when it was hitting you over the head about aging, etc.

key_art_buffy_the_vampire_slayer.jpg

Never watched it before, and didn't realize that it was a Joss Wheedon thing. I had heard that it was good, but I am really enjoying it.