Finally got around to watching The Wire on HBOGO. First season is very good (though I need close captioning to decipher some of the hood rats), but so far the second season suuuuuuucks. Hate the plotline with the dirtbags stealing stuff from the docks. Very unlikeable bunch of "new" characters, and boring to boot. Please tell me this gets better again!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to watching The Wire on HBOGO. First season is very good (though I need close captioning to decipher some of the hood rats), but so far the second season suuuuuuucks. Hate the plotline with the dirtbags stealing stuff from the docks. Very unlikeable bunch of "new" characters, and boring to boot. Please tell me this gets better again!

Season 4 is my favorite. Season 3 is strong too.

1, 3, 4 are the best seasons, IMHO.

Then 2

Then 5.

Season 4 is my favorite. Season 3 is strong too.

1, 3, 4 are the best seasons, IMHO.

Then 2

Then 5.

Thanks for the encouragement. Of course, no one is forcing me to watch it, but still....

Season 2 gets a little better when they finally bring the old gang (mostly) back together, but it's kind of a slog for the first 6 or so episodes. Kinda surprised it made it to season 3.

Best show in the history of television.

It's a good one, but the best would still be Freaks and Geeks.

Went with my son to see the 2012 Oscar-Nominated animated shorts in the theaters yesterday. This one was my favorite of the lot and the one that I hope gets the Oscar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AyXr7b0xTk

Watched "The Paperboy" over the weekend. Read the book about 6 months ago too. Whoever wrote the screenplay must've hated the book because the flick was ruined.

On our extended snow break here in CT, finally getting around to watching "Louie" and have watched the first season and a half, about a half-dozen episodes at a clip, and loving it.  Louis CK is hillarious, shocking, and poignant at the same time.  Been watching a bunch of movies; quite surprised that we liked "The Perks of Being a Wallflower."  I don't think we are the intended audience, but it was situated right in my late adolescence; the music was great (if you like the Smiths; the "tunnel song" - Bowie and Fripp's "Heroes" was prominently featured).  "Lars and the Real Girl" was odd and amusing.  The "Pulp Fiction"-type violence and humor of "Seven Psychopaths" was a bit off-putting for my wife, but I liked it.  Reading Richard Russo's "Empire Falls" in between.  I'm off for a few more days - any viewing suggestions?

For those interested, there are a couple of really good time travel movies up on Netflix Streaming right now: Primer and Safety Not Guaranteed. 

Primer is an oddly realistic and strangely disturbing movie while SNG is more an quirky indie take on the genre. Both worth checking out.

rokyericksonsoundtrack.jpg

At this point, I've only gotten about 2/3-3/4 though the movie before being interrupted by the wife and kids. It's pretty damn good and really demonstrates the depths of Roky's illness—extremely ill—which makes it pretty damn depressing. If you love anybody with a mental illness, it will really hit home, be warned. Still, the greatness of the music pulls the movie out of the doldrums often enough to help me keep watching.

Not to make any assumptions, but I feel like I know Rok a lot more than I did before watching the movie. It's very well-done and, for a fan of his music, if you want to know more about where the man comes from, if not the man, himself, (I don't think that anyone can really know him at this point), this is a good flick.

Now I need to finish this thing.

Rick Nielsen on American Pickers. I didn't know the dude had a Cheap Trick Museum in Rockford. It looks like he has kept everything he has ever touched.

Oh man, I have to see that.

Just started watching this (the following) (on DVR):

MV5BOTc5OTc4MzM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTgy

Now that I've finally finished watching The Wire, what else is worth watching on HBO GO? Eastbound & Down? Treme? Six Feet Under? I've seen just about everything else on there that I'm interested in.

Six Feet Under was a great show, definitely recommended as is Treme which I quite like too.

Watched "Killer Joe" over the weekend. Great cast, cool film if you like Noir. I'll never look at a KFC chicken leg the same way again.