Six Feet Under was a great show, definitely recommended as is Treme which I quite like too.

Thanks for the recommendations. I also enjoy Veep, which I really hope doesn't get prematurely canceled.

They just announced that they are canceling Enlightened after only two seasons. That does it for me with investing time in new HBO series. First I got burned with Hung, then Luck, now Enlightened. They seem to have a history of shutting down shows that have only one word as their name. :lol

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the recommendations. I also enjoy Veep, which I really hope doesn't get prematurely canceled.

They just announced that they are canceling Enlightened after only two seasons. That does it for me with investing time in new HBO series. First I got burned with Hung, then Luck, now Enlightened. They seem to have a history of shutting down shows that have only one word as their name. :lol

That's too bad about Enlightened, it was a good show that really found its stride in season 2. They sorta wrapped things up a bit at the end of the season which led me to believe they weren't confident in getting renewed.

Count me as another one rooting for Veep to stick around.

• 2 weeks later...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVvn9T6bqls[/media]

I suppose it's a badge of honor that Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers has been vilified by teen filmgoers everywhere.  (In their defense, the movie was marketed as another outrageous celebration of hedonism, so it's fair to be disappointed upon discovering that the film delivers pretty much the complete opposite of what the trailers promised.)  Still, Spring Breakers strikes me as a movie with a beautiful voice with very little to say.

At times the movie reminded me of experimental documentaries like Tchoupitoulas and Dragonslayer, which I intend as a compliment. So many things to appreciate: The genre subversion, the colors, the poetic rhythms, the impressionistic yet abrasive editing, the oddball background objects, the darkening tone--both visually and thematically--and even the acting, for the most part. But I have serious reservations about Korine's cynical perceptions about "America's youth," and I think the debauched imagery, as used, perhaps inadvertently undermines his nobler intentions--the power and glory of the imagery overwhelms the satirical intentions, asserting only itself.

I was tempted to say that in its own way, Spring Breakers is no less cartoonish than the teen pics it's ostensibly satirizing. But that's clearly not so. They are light years apart in terms of ambition, and I think Korine's satire is clear-eyed. I'm just not convinced that its meaning rings true.

I saw Spring Breakers Friday night and can't stop raving about it. I went almost reluctantly because I hated Gummo so much, and I've actively avoided seeing any of Korine's more recent movies. But I saw a couple of reviews that made me think I should give this one a chance, and boy am I glad I did. I agree with everything you said about the merits of the film, but like Tarantino, I don't think Korine had any intention to deliver a message or present a cautionary tale. In fact, the movie it most reminded me of was Django Unchained. From the very first frame of both movies, I didn't look for--or find--any serious satire or social commentary. They were both just brilliant exercises in purely joyful moviemaking. The other remarkable thing was James Franco's performance. Holy shit! It was jaw-droppingly brave, committed, ballsy--worthy of comparison with DeNiro, Brando, any of the greats. I'm rarely tempted to go see a movie twice, but I think I have to see this one again to see if it holds up. I don't remember being quite as blown away by any movie recently--certainly this was the biggest surprise in a long time, and I think it was a giant leap forward for Harmony Korine.

I dragged a bunch of people to go see "Gummo" when it came out and suffered insults from those folks for years afterwards. I dunno, I liked Gummo.

MV5BMjIwMTU2NDAxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ4

One of the funniest things ever on television. I absolutely love this show. Just got through season one and am looking forward to renting and watching season two.

• 2 weeks later...

Someday I'll get back to grownup movies and catch up on some of the movies and TV shows mentioned here that I'd like to see.

In the meantime, my kids are into this again big time, and they insist that my husband and/or I watch it with them. It doesn't take much to convince me. It still manages to make us all laugh every time.

the-spongebob-squarepants-movie.jpg

Amaranthine, didn't you do a program of African films five or six years ago?  This week I saw Ousmane Sembene's Black Girl (Netflix streaming), and would strongly recommend it.  It's about a young girl from Senegal who is compelled to work as a nanny for a family in Paris, only to learn that the family really just wants a maid.  The expected themes apply, but it's striking for relying on a first-person interior monologue--highly unusual to hear that distinct female African point-of-view, especially for 1966.  Ousmane Sembene, of course, was one of the great African filmmakers.

tumblr_lhn0lpSoEv1qctnk6o1_500.jpg

Amaranthine, didn't you do a program of African films five or six years ago?  This week I saw Ousmane Sembene's Black Girl (Netflix streaming), and would strongly recommend it.  It's about a young girl from Senegal who is compelled to work as a nanny for a family in Paris, only to learn that the family really just wants a maid.  The expected themes apply, but it's striking for relying on a first-person interior monologue--highly unusual to hear that distinct female African point-of-view, especially for 1966.  Ousmane Sembene, of course, was one of the great African filmmakers.

Yes, my coworkers and I did! I'm trying to think what films we did show...need to think back. I remember we had a book club read of Over a Thousand Hills I Walk with You, a fictionalized bio which made a perfect companion to the movie Hotel Rwanda. Black Girl sounds really good and I've added it to my grown-up-must-see movie list for the future.

Which reminds me that the next project is Peru and I ought to solicit ideas...

• 2 months later...

I saw Spring Breakers Friday night... I agree with everything you said about the merits of the film, but like Tarantino, I don't think Korine had any intention to deliver a message or present a cautionary tale. In fact, the movie it most reminded me of was Django Unchained. From the very first frame of both movies, I didn't look for--or find--any serious satire or social commentary. They were both just brilliant exercises in purely joyful moviemaking.

Diane, have you seen The Bling Ring?  I'd be interested in your take, especially in light of its surface similarities to Spring Breakers.

Diane, have you seen The Bling Ring?  I'd be interested in your take, especially in light of its surface similarities to Spring Breakers.

It's on my to do list but that's a long list right now. From what I know of the subject, Sofia Coppola's dreamy style should be a good fit. I'm a little worried that it will cause uncomfortable twitches in me, since I have some tendencies toward label-obsessed clotheshorse and shoe whore. In recovery now due to financial limitations, but just put me in a luxury store and whoa Nellie!

I still haven't gotten to This is the End or Mud, and I'm waiting with bated breath for Frances Ha, but I did finally get to Before Midnight and it was everything I wanted it to be. Can't wait for another 9 years to pass so we can see what happens to Jesse and Celine!

It's the band you never knew you were always waiting for.

Seriously.

Has anybody seen This Is The End-Seth Rogan, James Franco and the rest of the Apatow crew? Honest to God, that was one of the laugh out loud funniest movies I have ever seen! It was also one of the stonedest movies I've ever seen--not in a Harold and Kumar way, but just the entire sensibility of the movie.

Go! You'll thank me.

Has anybody seen This Is The End-Seth Rogan, James Franco and the rest of the Apatow crew? Honest to God, that was one of the laugh out loud funniest movies I have ever seen! It was also one of the stonedest movies I've ever seen--not in a Harold and Kumar way, but just the entire sensibility of the movie. Go! You'll thank me.

Saw it. It was quite good.

A solid 4/5 for me.

Has anybody seen This Is The End-Seth Rogan, James Franco and the rest of the Apatow crew? Honest to God, that was one of the laugh out loud funniest movies I have ever seen! It was also one of the stonedest movies I've ever seen--not in a Harold and Kumar way, but just the entire sensibility of the movie. Go! You'll thank me.

Diane, on your recommendation & that of PopTodd & Sir Stewart, I took Alissa (age 17) to see this today. She is irreparably scarred and damaged for life.

No actually we both laughed hysterically all the way through. What a fitting end for the City of Angels! Poor James Franco. What a blast...we thank you! :lol

Diane, on your recommendation & that of PopTodd & Sir Stewart, I took Alissa (age 17) to see this today. She is irreparably scarred and damaged for life.

No actually we both laughed hysterically all the way through. What a fitting end for the City of Angels! Poor James Franco. What a blast...we thank you! :lol

Thank you, thank you. [Takes a bow] It's my mission in life to corrupt America's youth, one movie or one bong hit at a time.

Is it just me, or did James Franco sort of give off a Tweedy vibe?