• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diane, on your recommendation & that of PopTodd & Sir Stewart, I took Alissa (age 17) to see this today. She is irreparably scarred and damaged for life.

No actually we both laughed hysterically all the way through. What a fitting end for the City of Angels! Poor James Franco. What a blast...we thank you! :lol

Even the magazine argument scene?  :wave  Helluva good flick.

SoundOfMyVoice_zps116f0722.jpg

A brief synopsis: A couple go undercover to make a documentary about a local cult who's leader claims to be a woman from the future.

The pacing and the story drew me in right off the bat and the ending left me to reevaluate what I thought was the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

So, whilst my wife and kids were out of town this weekend, I used the opportunity to watch a bunch of movies that none of them wanted to see:
• Searching For Sugar Man
• Sound City
• Indie Game: The Movie
• Slap Shot
• Cool Hand Luke

That last one I had only caught in bits and pieces, so I finally sat down to watch the whole thing at once.
GodDAMNIT, what a movie! George Kennedy earned that Oscar. Great flick.

And...

desperately waiting to see this one. Sadly, I'll have to wait until it's on Netflix or DVD.

But it looks amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

51YFCwIrAQL._SY300_.jpg

Started watching this because my daughter saw a take off on "Psych" and was interested.  Have not seen it since the early 90's and I am enjoying it more than i expected, it actually holds up.  Sherilyn Fenn!

I remember someone saying that if James Dean had lived he would have been in this show.  There certainly is quite a few 50's era actors and actresses in it.  Anyways, a trip down memory lane.

• 2 weeks later...

lastdayshere_toppage.jpg

This one reminded me of the Roky Erickson doc a bit. Tough to watch at times but worth the ride in the end.

Heartworn_Highways_FilmPoster.jpeg

Movie is great - the extras are the best. My library system had this - god love em.

Steve Earle's performances are really great - it's great to have this early footage.Also John Hiatt.

Heartworn_Highways_FilmPoster.jpeg

Movie is great - the extras are the best. My library system had this - god love em.

Steve Earle's performances are really great - it's great to have this early footage.Also John Hiatt.

I love that film. And yeah, the extras are amazing. That songwriters circle at Guy Clark's house is awesome.

This thread is nice for recommendations of documentaries, but how do you guys feel about recent movies (2013)? I feel very disappointed so far, the only real highlight for me was "Mud", some Southern American images that served as poetry at least, which is more than can be said about most releases this year. I miss the time when the choice was between two world-class films like There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men when you were asked to sum up your year in movies;

Upstream Color was the only movie that I recall seeing this year that kinda blew me away. Not quite as enjoyable as his first movie (Primer) and the narrative looses focus for a bit, but definitely one that sticks with you.

(for guily pleasure popcorn movie, I have to admit I enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness. On the fence about Man of Steel. Good first act, but got bored of the building smashing at end).

Overall it’s been a weak year.  Still, while I don’t think I’ve encountered a bona fide masterpiece, I’ve seen a handful that I think are strong works: Upstream Color; Berberian Sound Studio; Lore; This Must Be the Place; Fruitvale Station; To the Wonder; Rust and Bone; Before Midnight; and Mud.  There were patches of greatness in Starlet and Ginger & Rosa, even if they were ultimately uneven.

Plus, there’s been some very good nonfiction: The House I Live In; How to Die in Oregon; Happy People: A Year In the Taiga; The Gatekeepers; and Side by Side.

Some of those were released in major markets prior to 2013, but they weren’t available to me until this year, so they still count.

I liked the last Star Trek movie. Very disappointed by The Way Way Back. There haven't been many movies in the theater this year that have seemed all that interesting.

I saw some of The Canyons online.

"Mud" was indeed enjoyable.

Last Friday night I sat the kids down and we watched "Duel". Now, if I could only find a copy of "Killdozer"....

Neddie, if I made a list of the top five movies I'm most eager to see, Blancanieves would be on it.  Can't wait for it to be available in Milwaukee.  (Along the same lines, I'm dying to see Miguel Gomes' Tabu, which I've been anticipating for more than a year.  Come on, distributors!)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Blue-Is-The-Warmest-Color.jpg

Blue is the Warmest Color - France (2013)

I had the opportunity to catch this in the theater on Friday night. It's been awhile since a film has made such an impression. It’s difficult to express in words why this film is so important other than to say it is one of the most natural and real depictions of young love I can remember seeing on the big screen. Honest and fresh.