51H7fPC-Q2L._SX215_.jpg

I suppose I could jump into the musical blasphemy thread as well.  There was a lot to like about this movie but I also felt it was lacking.  I felt like it got behind the scenes of Chris Bell but didn't really dig into Alex Chilton.  Definitely worth seeing if you are a fan though ...

Just saw this one myself.  I thought maybe the Zelig of music documentaries was not going to show up but there he was, David Fricke getting a picture with Jody Stephens.  Loved some of the footage of Alex on those obscure shows like when he was part of Panther Burns.  Meat Puppets, REM, all sorts of interesting people singing the praises of Big Star.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first in the current crop of 3 new episodes of Sherlock. The high standard is maintained.

Dr Zhivago on TV again yesterday - was drawn into it since there seemed to be alot I had not seen before, perhaps it was some sort of directors cut. That and Julie Christie of course.

Wow, the third and last Sherlock of the current series was quite something.

i enjoyed the second episode very much too (especially the drunk Sherlock segment), but you may be aware of a backlash/criticism from fans about various aspects of the first and especially that second episode. well, suffice to say rhey will be eating humble pie as the story arc paid dividends with the finale.

I've read a lot of complaints about the first two episodes of the new series. I managed to find them online and found them pretty funny. We'll get them here officially sometime this month on PBS.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been catching up on a lot of movies I've been meaning to watch, as well as trying to see all the Oscar films.

Her was excellent. I loved the way it used this futuristic idea to explore the basics of relationships, divorce, etc. (Much like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.)

Before Midnight was also excellent. Those three have crafted an amazing cinematic relationship over the course of three films. This one goes a little darker with the realistic thorny issues that come up within a relationship after the initial "honeymoon phase."

I also loved The Spectacular Now. Shailene Woodley is a revelation. Between this and The Descendants, she has proven herself as an incredible actress. I didn't like the plot framing device, but I thought it handled the relationship of two teenagers in a very realistic and meaningful way.

Blackfish was a very interesting documentary. If you ever loved Sea World, it will make you think about ever wanting to go again. I just wish the filmmakers had found a way to better present a different side of the story. But as an advocacy piece, it was very effective.

I liked Short Term 12, but the plot was a little too contrived and predictable for me to fully embrace it. The performances were very good, though, and Brie Larson had a very good year between this and The Spectacular Now.

I've been catching up on a lot of movies I've been meaning to watch, as well as trying to see all the Oscar films.

Agree on all counts, except Short Term 12, which I haven't seen yet.  Did you see The Wolf of Wall Street?  I'd be interested in your take on that one.

I somehow managed to catch nearly all of the Oscar nominees this year.  I've seen all of the major nominees except for The Grandmaster (Cinematography), and missed only a handful in smaller categories like short films.  (I love Wong Kar-Wai and meant to see Grandmaster during its Milwaukee run, but never quite found the time... and then it was gone.  It's on Amazon, though, so I'll probably still see it prior to the Oscar show.)

Now I'm kicking myself that I skipped screenings of The Great Beauty and Broken Circle Breakdown, two foreign-language nominees that I could have seen for free.

Now I'm kicking myself that I skipped screenings of The Great Beauty and Broken Circle Breakdown, two foreign-language nominees that I could have seen for free.

The Great Beauty is probably in my top 10 films of last year, and one of the few I saw last year that I'd probably watch again. I really dug the lead character, the quirky way the story unfurled and the beautiful cinematography. The film felt modern with a big foot in the world of Antonioni and Fellini.

The Hunt is also right up there for me as far as Oscar nominated foreign films go.

I'm with you Bleedorange, Shailene Woodley was quite fantastic in The Spectacular Now. The film was probably the best "teen drama" I've seen since The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I guess I'd throw The Way Way Back into that mix too.

I thought Short Term 12 was very good, but agree that there were some plot points that seemed a bit predictable and farfetched. But the overall tone of the film and the mostly great cast pushed me past any niggling issues I had with it. Brie Larson is definitely on my radar after this and The Spectacular Now. Funnily enough Kaitlyn Dever was also in both these films and was also very good.

Of the Oscar nominated best picture contenders I've seen, my ranking from favorite to least would look like this:

Her

12 Years a Slave

Gravity

American Hustle

The Wolf of Wall Street

Dallas Buyers Club

Captain Phillips

All of them were quite good, though personally I don't think Captain Phillips belongs here. I would've put something like Inside Llewyn Davis in its spot.

I really need to go and see Nebraska and Philomena next.

A few other recent favorites I should quickly mention: In a World..., Enough Said, Rush, White Reindeer, The Deep (Djúpið) ...

It seems like they should invent some new award for Gravity. I can understand it not winning the Best Picture Oscar, but man, it deserves the Congressional Medal of Honor or something.

It was a really cool scene that lasted 90 mins or however long the movie was.  I enjoyed it, but there wasn't much there beyond the spectacle.

The Great Beauty is probably in my top 10 films of last year, and one of the few I saw last year that I'd probably watch again. I really dug the lead character, the quirky way the story unfurled and the beautiful cinematography. The film felt modern with a big foot in the world of Antonioni and Fellini.

The Hunt is also right up there for me as far as Oscar nominated foreign films go.

I really loved Sorrentino's previous film, so I was primed to see The Great Beauty and just couldn't make room in my schedule for the screening.  I'll see it eventually.  The Hunt and Inside Llewyn Davis would be likely contenders for my year's ten-best list, if I drew one up.  (I'd probably also consider these largely overlooked titles: Closed Curtain; To the Wonder; Berberian Sound Studio; The Act of Killing; Upstream Color; Stories We Tell; Lore; A Hijacking; Something in the Air; Before Midnight; Informant; Beyond the Hills, and a number of others that I'm surely forgetting right now.)

Interesting how you ranked the Best Pic nominees.  I suppose I'd go this way:

1. The Wolf of Wall Street

2. 12 Years a Slave

3. Her

4. Gravity

5. Dallas Buyers Club

6. Philomena

7. Captain Phillips

8. Nebraska

9. American Hustle

I actually like all of the nominated films, but only the top three strike me as full-throated masterpieces.  I don't care a whole lot about what gets nominated and what doesn't, but I'll admit to being a little thrilled about how Bad Grandpa received more nominations than The Butler.

Due to a quirk in the Oscar rules, Blue Is the Warmest Color was not eligible for the foreign-language category (it needed to be released in its home country by the end of September, and then officially submitted by that same country).  If it had qualified, I suspect it would have been a shoo-in for nomination.  The Academy still could have nominated the film in other categories, but foreign-language films rarely score such nods, especially when caught in the foreign-language purgatory.  The worst part?  Since it was eligible for most categories this year, it will likely not be considered next year for the foreign-language category, when it will be eligibleThis weird rule negatively affects a number of international movies every year.  This year it happened to trip up one of the most acclaimed and buzzed-about foreign films of the season.

I haven't actually had a chance to see it yet, but I pre-ordered the Blu.  Looks fantastic.

Due to a quirk in the Oscar rules, Blue Is the Warmest Color was not eligible for the foreign-language category (it needed to be released in its home country by the end of September, and then officially submitted by that same country).  If it had qualified, I suspect it would have been a shoo-in for nomination.  The Academy still could have nominated the film in other categories, but foreign-language films rarely score such nods, especially when caught in the foreign-language purgatory.  The worst part?  Since it was eligible for most categories this year, it will likely not be considered next year for the foreign-language category, when it will be eligibleThis weird rule negatively affects a number of international movies every year.  This year it happened to trip up one of the most acclaimed and buzzed-about foreign films of the season.

I haven't actually had a chance to see it yet, but I pre-ordered the Blu.  Looks fantastic.

I am aware of this strange rule. But I feel that, like Amour in 2012, Blue is the Warmest Color deserves not only a nomination for Best Foreign Language film, but for Best Picture. Likewise, the performances by both Adèle Exarchopoulos and Léa Seydoux were as good if not better than anything I've seen all year and both were overlooked for best actress nods.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to living in the land of ice and snow - I watched the following movies yesterday:

Stowaway To The Moon (1975) - A fondly rememebered TV movie I saw when I was 9 years old.

Used Cars (1980) - Still funny as hell - as when I saw it on HBO back in the day.

Death Proof (2007) - A piece of junk. Although I understand what Tarantino was trying to do.

As I am a fan of TV movies, it was great. It's about a kid who hides in a trash compartment of a command module and ends up in space. Later on - bad things happen and he saves the day. I was a big fan of the whole space travel/moon landing stuff back in those days. You can find it on Youtube.