I realize that this is the Now Watching thread but I saw Colum McCann read from his new book last night (but I had him sign my copy of Let the Great World Spin).  When I saw Philippe Petit read a couple of weeks ago I noticed a couple of people had him sign copies of McCann's Let the Great World Spin.  I mentioned this to McCann and he thought it was funny - and then he drew a little doodle of Petit in my book.     

That's pretty funny & also pretty great!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went and saw the new film about Nick Cave, 20 000 Days on Earth, yesterday at the Sydney Film Festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kV9cobZP4JA

It was such a beautiful film. I've been a fan of Nick Cave since The Good Son came out so I'm definitely a blinkered Bad Seeds apologist but this "documentary" was truly remarkable. The driving scenes were very enjoyable. So was the scene where he sits down to a lunch of eel prepared by Warren Ellis and they discuss Nina Simone. It's quite inspiring on such a creative level in that it's a reminder of our time here on earth ticking away. Anyone who is even vaguely familiar with his work should see this film.

About halfway through the new season of Orange Is the New Black.

Just as good as the first.

Digging it with a big shovel.

Also started The United States of Tara.

About a suburban mother with multiple personalities. I like the approach they take with this one -- like it's just a normal family dealing with just another family problem. It's just the way that things are in their house. "It makes us interesting," is what their teenage boy says about the situation.

Good show. And Toni Collette is always great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find that appealing, too.  Knowing it was a limited time commitment is one of the reasons I decided to give the show a chance.

I guess now it is not going to be a limited run:

You betcha FX Networks is bringing “Fargo” back for another season after the first one racked up 18 Emmy nominations.

The series, inspired by the Oscar-winning Coen brothers classic of the same name, will return with a 10-episode season featuring an “all-new cast of characters, a new time period and a new ‘true crime’ story,” FX said in a release.

New time period, you say? FX didn’t say much more than that, although Hitfix’s Alan Sepinwall speculates that the new story might have something to do with the Sioux Falls case that Keith Carradine’s character kept referencing.

The Emmy-nominated Noah Hawley will return as showrunner. He wrote all 10 episodes of the first “Fargo” season, which starred Billy Bob Thornton,Martin Freeman, Colin Hanks and Allison Tolman — all of whom also received Emmy nods.

I'm there.  The first batch was so strong that I'm primed for more.  The idea of starting from scratch is promising, too, as long as the quality sticks.

I liked Fargo, the series, but it bothered me that the writers didn't bother looking at a map. Bemidji and Duluth are about 3 hours apart, but the characters went back and forth as if they were neighboring cities. Would have made more sense to have the cities be Cloquet and Duluth.

Could have done without the Grocery store side story too. Way too ridiculous, and didn't add anything, other than having a funny connection to the movie.

The series seemed to be a combination of Fargo and No Country For Old Men.

Overall: B+

I liked Fargo, the series, but it bothered me that the writers didn't bother looking at a map. Bemidji and Duluth are about 3 hours apart, but the characters went back and forth as if they were neighboring cities. Would have made more sense to have the cities be Cloquet and Duluth.

Could have done without the Grocery store side story too. Way too ridiculous, and didn't add anything, other than having a funny connection to the movie.

The series seemed to be a combination of Fargo and No Country For Old Men.

Overall: B+

And of course in typical Hollywood fashion, the show was actually shot in Calgary, Alberta.

The Honourable Woman.

Top quality BBC 8-parter. Middle Eastern intrigue based in London in a George Smiley style, starring your own Maggie Gyllenhaal.

4 parts in out of 8 and it's very powerful stuff now after a slow atmospheric start. All the more affecting because of recent events too, unfortunately. 

51syUh5QCjL._SX200_.jpg

Harry sings songs, gets philosophical, hangs out with David Lynch and Kris Kristofferson... Interesting glimpse into Harry's life and art.

51syUh5QCjL._SX200_.jpg

Harry sings songs, gets philosophical, hangs out with David Lynch and Kris Kristofferson... Interesting glimpse into Harry's life and art.

I am really looking forward to seeing this...

For most of the past summer I have watched Last Tango in Halifax on PBS. I can't figure out if it is a dark comedy or some sort of British soap opera. I am not even sure I was all that much into the show. 

I also happened to catch the preview for The Roosevelts: An Intimate History. Apparently, Ken Burns also has the following in the works: a film about Vietnam, a film about Jackie Robinson, and a film about country music. 

Also - just began watching Torchwood. I didn't know the show was so - how shall we say - adult themed. 

140962.jpg

Watched this last night/this morning...damn, what a good movie.

Yeah - that Muscle Shoals was a good one.

Always wondered why the Stones recorded at Muscle Shoals Studio, rather than the more established (at the time) and famous Fame,

I posted the question at the Hoffman board and below was the response. Makes sense - Rick Hall was bit of a task master to say the least --- which I am not faulting him - he produced some great stuff.

No Static said
I spoke with a member of the Swampers over the weekend and he told me they came to Muscle Shoals Sound on the recommendation of Jim Dickinson. He told them it was a place "where they could work undisturbed and hang with cool people."

There's always been a strong connection between Memphis and Muscle Shoals music-wise and Jim can be seen in the doc during the tracking of "Wild Horses".

Notice how Bono is the self appointed muse on the soul  and history of American music?

so he's saved Africa already? :lol

At least Keef and Mick actually recorded there. 

Hell, Bob Seger recorded 1/2 of each of his 70's run of greatt records there.