• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Paradise Lost: Revelations and Paradise Lost: Purgatory last night.

that was some heavy shit. i think i liked the first one the best...it certainly had the best access and footage. 2nd really didn't do it for me. i never thought Byers was a likely suspect. it kinda bugged me that there was very little time spent on the kids' alibis, but after reading some more about it, i guess they didn't really have good ones. 

i am not sure how the confession of a teenager w/ a low 70s IQ that's obtained after interview for ~12 hours w/o a lawyer and only 45 minutes is recorded is worth anything. damn that sentence sucked.

I watched Paradise Lost: Revelations and Paradise Lost: Purgatory last night.

The Paradise Lost documentaries are all compelling; it's been fascinating to watch the story twist and turn over the course of three films, with the directors even doubling back and making corrections to their previous work.  (I remember seeing the first one when it was first released and being gobsmacked.)  The experience deepens, too, when you throw in West of Memphis, a 2012 documentary produced by Peter Jackson that builds on the Lost trilogy.  (I watched that just a few weeks ago.)  And if you want more still, there's an okay feature film by Atom Egoyan called The Devil's Knot.  Even more interesting, there's another feature film in the works called West Memphis Three, directed by--get this--Monte Hellman.  Yeah, that Monte Hellman!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Blues Brothers on the big screen tonight at a theater / brew pub. Hot DAMN! I was lucky enough to have my parents take me to that on its original release. I was 9 years old. My twins are 9 now. I don't think they're interested in R-Rated movies in the least. Good beer, great movie, great music, great night. I wanted to get up and dance during the concert scene.

Saw Blues Brothers on the big screen tonight at a theater / brew pub. Hot DAMN! I was lucky enough to have my parents take me to that on its original release. I was 9 years old. My twins are 9 now. I don't think they're interested in R-Rated movies in the least. Good beer, great movie, great music, great night. I wanted to get up and dance during the concert scene.

I enjoyed watching it last weekend on cable. Man those guys had more moves onstage than our H.S. basketball team. One of my favorite scenes is Carrie Fisher and Belushi.

Footnote the Original House of Blues (1st in the country) was nearby the Charles Hotel. The hotel featured an underground pkg garage.This is where the Blues Brothers Car was kept for many years in the 90's.  It was  cool to park nearby it, on my way to hear Some Great Blues.

Love everything about this.  Jealous!

^^^ With all due "respect" to Aretha, Otis Redding's version of Respect is my favorite.  Great movie. 

A few years ago I was listening to Otis's Respect on Emerson College's radio station and the DJ came on and said "That was Otis Redding covering Aretha Franklin." I had to call and let her know. She seemed grateful, but who knows.

And, Otis's version just popped up on iTunes shuffle after I posted that. Awesome.

I bought myself Adventure Time season 4 on dvd with a Christmas gift card. I think it might be my favorite children's cartoon show ever. The animation, humor, music, all of it is just so good. I can't remember a show making me actually happy like that, but maybe it's from watching too much Dexter.

I bought myself Adventure Time season 4 on dvd with a Christmas gift card. I think it might be my favorite children's cartoon show ever. The animation, humor, music, all of it is just so good. I can't remember a show making me actually happy like that, but maybe it's from watching too much Dexter.

It is a cool show (that I've never watched a full episode of).  My younger kids and wife  love it.

My wife, her kid, and my youngest were Finn, Jake, some other character, and I was the Ice King for Halloween 2 yrs ago. I had to wear the Ice King costume out with the wife later that night for a concert and ended up tossing the blue frock he wears(I bought a blue Snuggy for it) in the street at like 1 a.m. Go figure. My step kid was some obscure horse from the show for Halloween this year. I think it appeared in one episode only. James Baxter or something like that.

We started watching a show called Breaking Bad a couple weeks ago. We're nearing the end of Season 3. It's amazing the trouble the main character can get of.

drive+he+said.jpg

I've been working my way through movies made by BBS Productions, which means revisiting many familiar works like Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces.  This one, though, was new to me.  Drive, He Said (1971) is a strong work that describes the unforeseen consequences of the counterculture, and it's much different in style than the other two movies later directed by Jack Nicholson.  Up next: The Last Picture Show, which I haven't seen for 20 years.

"Sirens": Season 1 on Netflix.

I actually worked transportation on this for a couple of days. Just happy that it turned out to be actually pretty good. Laughed out loud a few times.

Anybody remember Coppolla's "The Rain People"....James Caan debut....I saw that in Film class 25 years ago. I gotta see that one again.

And this tonight on iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04z23vl

Turned out to be pretty interesting. Who knew the Nazis and Bing Crosby would be responsible for the recording industry as we know it. 

10 minutes on Brian Wilson recording Good Vibrations with the Wrecking Crew, and the last 10 minutes on the Beatles.

mezzanine_955.jpg.fit.344x192.jpg

As a history lesson, Last Days in Vietnam is filled with rich human details and astonishing footage classically edited into an informative, compelling story.  I can see why it was nominated for the Oscar.  (Although I wouldn't let him watch the first half, which concerns combat and some atrocities, my six-year-old son was mesmerized by the second half, which chronicles the attempt to rescue as many South Vietnamese as possible during the Saigon evacuation.)