Saw "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" recently. Whoa, the majority of the fans in the flick really fell into that specific subset of young moron/ding dong. I guess I should know because I saw that Judas Priest tour (Turbo! Dooood!) and would've fit right in. That was the last time I saw them because shortly thereafter I succumbed to the sweet siren song of the Grateful Dead and left my metal days behind.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was absolutely amazing: 

Whiplash_poster.jpg

Watched this last night. It was riveting, but for me, ultimately unsatisfying. I can't figure out why the band leader was such a sadistic asshole. He claims it's to find someone like a Charlie Parker, that this kind of talent wouldn't show itself under ordinary circumstances. But his treatment of his students is so abusive that I think this guy has demons that the film never reveals.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Peter Jackson's triumphant debut "Bad Taste" with my son over the weekend. Havent seen it in prolly 10 years.....but it still brings the goods. If you haven't seen it, you must. Give it 10 minutes. By then, you'll know if its for you or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished season one of "Marvel's Daredevil" on Netflix. Solid.

Just finished that last night myself.  Really liked what they did, very much like the comic book.  They picked a great person to play "Kingpin" also.  They should have tried to work the Wilco song in somewhere.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

1864 - new Danish epic historical drama series

The Game = Spooks in the 1970s

Frankie Boyle's Election Autopsy

Anyone not familiar with Scottish potty mouth Frankie Boyle should check him out.

A Little Bit Of England (Black Sheep Squadron, S2E13, 1978)

Guest star: Peter Frampton

This episode has always amazed me. How did Peter Frampton end up on an episode of Black Sheep Squadron? And did coast watchers really have long flowing blonde hair? I think not. 

Does anyone know if the bar/building featured in the season finale of Better Call Saul is the one pictured on Wilco (the album)?

That's Mader's Restaurant in Milwaukee, WI. I'm pretty sure BCS didn't film any scenes in Milwaukee.

I really want to see the Mad Max flick.

Thank you for reminding me. You saw it last night and you loved it, and you wholeheartedly recommend it. It's a white-knuckler.

It's as if George Miller had test audiences watch the first two films, and then the results came back as: Well, sir, they really loved the car chase stuff, so make THAT the whole movie, if you can.

But it's a lot more than just the car chase stuff. It's quite brilliant. It's one of the rare visually perfect tellings of a story that you could watch without sound, because the shots tell the story so well.

^^^ I saw the Mad Max film on Monday and agree with your endorsement.  Unbelievable, relentless action -- stunning visuals.  I can't figure out how they actually make made this movie.

I loved Mad Max Fury Road. Can't remember the last time I thought that little while watching a movie. No distracting thoughts, too much going on. When I did actually think, it was focused along the lines of what this guy is saying. How the hell did this movie happen?

http://io9.com/do-you-realize-mad-max-fury-road-is-a-miracle-1707000166

I loved Mad Max Fury Road. Can't remember the last time I thought that little while watching a movie. No distracting thoughts, too much going on. When I did actually think, it was focused along the lines of what this guy is saying. How the hell did this movie happen?

http://io9.com/do-you-realize-mad-max-fury-road-is-a-miracle-1707000166

this one's a good read too:

http://io9.com/mad-max-fury-road-is-an-astonishing-work-of-art-1704715858

Lately, it's been "Wayward Pines". My wife has been watching "Girls" as well but I just cant do that.

Yeah that review sure got it.

George Miller's filmography is totally schizo. Check out the films he directed between Thunderdome and Fury Road:

1985     Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

1987     The Witches of Eastwick

1992     Lorenzo's Oil

1998     Babe: Pig in the City

2006     Happy Feet

2011     Happy Feet Two

2015     Mad Max: Fury Road

Like that other piece said, there's no godly reason Fury Road should be as great as it is.