• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not meant to sound as snarky as it might sound, but are you saying you saw it again?

Did I already post about it?

Damn brain surgery.

EDIT:

Seriously. I had no idea that I posted about it the other day. In fact, I was so completely unaware of my previous post that I didn't even think to look to see if I had posted something before. And, seriously, as I'm sure (as sure as I can be) I told you before, I did have brain surgery. And it has fucked HARD with my memory.

Damn.

But yeah... I guess that I loved it THAT much!!!

:cheers

127 Hours - I really didn't like the film that much. {follow me into spoiler land for my thoughts}

A lot of it had to do with Danny Boyle's misguided direction which never made me feel the amount of dread that I should have considering the situation that this guy got himself into and ultimately got himself out of. It kind of reminded me of why I hated Unstoppable when I saw that. For both films the audience should know how everything turns out based on prior knowledge. There was no real suspense for me in Unstoppable because I knew that the train would not destroy a city. And that movie was boring to sit through because the 2 main characters failed to communicate to each other about who they were, only to talk in mechanical terms like "pull the brake", "that's right that's the lever" etc...In the last 10 minutes, they finally open up about their current situations and find common ground. Anyways, back to the film that I came here to review.

The film starts with some strange mix of a tribal song mixed in with some techno, then we see Aron Ralston get in his jeep to go hiking. He passes by about 6 fast food restaurant chains. He is leaving civilization behind to spend some time alone in the quiet landscapes. The problem is that this dreadful music continues playing for a good five minutes after he's gotten out of his jeep. It's a bit strange and already Boyle and I had different ideas about how to show being somewhat isolated from the "world."

He meets two beautiful women with girl next door looks and he gets them to go swimming with him. It is a somewhat fun sequence, but something didn't feel right about it. He didn't try to overtly flirt or try any moves with any of the women. And that's fine. That isn't why he's here in the first place. As he runs off into the canyon, the 2 women talk about one of them having a crush on him while in a wide shot. So you never really can tell who is speaking to the other. It could be a toss up really. And who knows? Ralston wasn't there to hear that exchange, it was only in the screenwriters scheme of things.

Shortly after their exit, Ralston is seen caressing the Earthy brown walls like one would a woman's body. Ok. We get it. He loves nature. Still some light techno music invading the beautiful landscapes which should be quiet. Then he gets stuck.

Boyle does the strangest thing by putting on an old 70s song onto the soundtrack while he first gets stuck. I'm not sure what compelled him to do such a thing. I guess he decided to throw out "the less is more" mantra on this film. Here is poor Aron Ralston stuck and we get to hear a fucking song playing. How am I supposed to feel bad for him at all, if this feels like a fucking MTV music video? It borders on being exploitative of the whole situation because we know how this turns out. It's no big surprise. It's about his journey. And that''s where the main problem lies: poorly conveying Aron's journey out of the crack in the Earth. I really felt distracted in almost every early scene when all of these weird directing and editing choices were going out of control. I didn't mind the POV shots of the water coming out of the water bottle etc. What really bothered me was the lack of diagetic sound in these scenes. Things should have been only heard that Aron heard in these very moments to put us in the same situation as him. To help us feel empathy for him. Instead it feels like he's in a MTV production of his life and it all made me feel distant to his experience. It's as if Boyle doubted audiences would keep glued to the screen, if he didn't employ this overabundance of tricks. I really felt that things would have been a lot better off, if Boyle kept things quiet and then we slid in and out of flashbacks. It would have built mood and atmosphere.

And James Franco wasn't that great. He seems to be in that same ham and cheese acting place that he was in for the 3 Spiderman films. When he first screams for help, I couldn't help but smirk because he was using the same voice as Harry Osborne screaming at Peter Parker for killing his dad. He finally did have some nice moments, but that was when Boyle eventually let go of his hyperkinetic bag of tricks and laid off on the overkill of techno music. Maybe Franco's lack of holding the film together on his own made Boyle go overboard.

In conclusion, I never really felt the dread because of these poor directing choices. It really felt a bit exploitative to make it come off like a MTV video, when we all know what is going to happen to Aron. I really wish that Boyle made things more serene & ethereal while he was stuck. This would have improved the film greatly for me because everything else was very distracting for me to really get into it and feel empathy for Aron. It felt like gratuitosly staring at a car crash, instead of actually being in one or at least feeling like being in one.

Buried - I really, really loved this film. It took me by surprise. I should note that I saw this earlier last week before I saw 127 Hours.

It was ironic when this suspense film used the tools that I felt that 127 Hours should have used. The score wasn't very overpowering at all and that made the film that much more effective. Hitchcock would have been very proud. There's long moments of black, silence, fast breathing, trying to light a lighter etc.

AND Ryan Reynolds was fucking awesome. For the whole 90 minutes I really felt like we were taking this journey together because of his spot on acting and the plot. I didn't realize that the plot was going to be commentary on foreign policy, but it worked like a charm and offered up some humor from it. AND I felt a sense of dread that was lacking in the other film. Maybe it was due to the fact that I didn't know if Reynolds would make it out alive.

What's odd for me is that Buried felt like a survival film when it was really supposed to be a suspense film and 127 Hours wanted to be a suspense film but was really a survival film. This was very weird and I hate to compare films to one another, but somehow these were 2 films that I saw back to back. Perhaps Ryan Gosling would have done a better acting job as Aron Ralston.

Blue Valentine - Fantastically amazing film with two very strong performances. Very memorable and surreal at points. I had a little doubt with Cianfrance's structuring of the film, but these quickly subsided when I saw what he was doing with time and memories. A real crime that this didn't make it into the 10 Best Picture nominees. Oh well. I don't really care about that stuff much anymore. Not worth getting upset over. It's all political anyways. :stunned

Winters-Bone.png

An interesting journey into a stark and rural small town. I don't think there was a single shot of a sunny day which of course adds to the films bleak look. Some great acting in this one.

An interesting journey into a stark and rural small town. I don't think there was a single shot of a sunny day which of course adds to the films bleak look. Some great acting in this one.

I also saw this one thanks to NetFlix. It was very bleak and dreary, but really well done. I'm not sure if I agree completely with Hawkes' nomination or even a Best Pic nom. Sam Rockwell seemed like a sure lock for his turn in Conviction. Anyways, while watching this I couldn't help but think how this realistic turn by Jennifer Lawrence was amazing. She somehow remarkably held the whole film together. What an awesome role and performance. Then when I saw Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine, I also thought that she did an amazing job. I almost hope that they somehow upset Portman in their respective race for Best Actress. Natalie does indeed have the role of a lifetime, but I think it's a bit easier to do melodrama (maybe a bit more showy). Lawrence & Williams both gave naturalistic portrayals of real women with real problems rooted in reality. {and when I saw Lawrence at the Awards shows and on Leno I was quite shocked to see how beautiful she is. I guess that adds an extra layer to her portrayal since that character really didn't have the time at all for a boyfriend. she had to care for her family instead. }

I also want to show some love for Ti West's The House Of The Devil (available on NetFlix streaming). This was filmed 2 years ago, but every little thing about it screams out that it is indeed an early 80s horror film. The clothing, hairstyles, Coca-Cola cups at pizza parlor, the cars, the film stock, and the shots & camera angles. It was quite amazing how this didn't look at all like it was filmed in the 2000s. And the suspense was quite fantastic. There was an air of creepy dread lingering over every shot in the creepy house where the main character has to "babysit" someone's "mother". Definitely worth a watch on a snowed in night with the lights off and an extra pair of underwear. :lol

Edit: Animal Kingdom just came in. Pretty excited to check this one out.

U2roolz, I agree with your assessments about all of the movies in your last few posts, and share your disappointment that Blue Valentine hasn't received the attention it deserves. I'm still rather stunned, too, that Buried flopped so badly. It’s a blunt instrument--especially when it adds that subtext regarding foreign policy--but Cortes has enough wit to suggest dealing with bureaucracies is a lot like suffocating under sand, and there’s no doubt he delivers a primal, throat-gripping thriller about claustrophobia and panic. I hadn't thought about contrasting Buried with 127 Hours, perhaps because I saw them months apart, but your comments sound about right to me.

Nice call on House of the Devil, a sinister throwback that knows the tense anticipation of evil is always more chilling than the payoff. I think you'll enjoy Animal Kingdom as well, for its curious tone, if nothing else.

Last few films viewed:

The Secret In Their Eyes / Juan Jose Campenella / Argentina / 2009

Inside Job / Charles Ferguson / USA / 2010

Restrepo / Sebastian Junger and Tim Hetherington / USA / 2010

Dogtooth / Giorgos Lanthimos / Greece / 2009

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ Love that film.

Started watching this last night:

741952316497.jpg

Watching it with D-man

The_Wire_-_Season_1.jpg

Paul:

Not as good as I had hoped, but still a lot of fun. I liked the little sci-fi in jokes, but I'm sure that I missed more than I caught.

I am sure that it will be vilified by the folks who love their earlier movies. Not because it was a bad movie (it wasn't a bad movie). But lots of folks will say it was awful because it wasn't as good as their earlier ones. Plus, it's about time for the backlash. Here it comes.

Yes, I will watch it again when it comes out of DVD.

Paul - I really LOVED this film. To me this is their best film simply because it has a heart which is so reminiscent of the late 70s/80s films that it constantly tips its hat. So many films nowadays are too pessimistic, even the family films. I really loved how the references were so subtle (depending on how many times you've seen such & such) that it wasn't like they were constantly winking at the audience. It felt really natural. Although, there were a few lines that really stood out because they have been a part of pop culture and even these felt right in the right moment in the story. The whole supporting cast really rocked and were for once well used. The film somewhat began slow (in terms of laughs), but I think that's because this was structured like one of those films that builds character before it really gets going. The manic and zany energy of their previous films were missing in the 1st half. And I'm not sure if that's due to the absence of director Edgar Wright. Or the presence of director Greg Mottola (The Daytrippers,Superbad, Adventureland) whose films always have its heart on its sleeve. Either way you can tell that this film is indeed a love letter to the films that a certain generation grew up on and loved and no one seems to be making films like that anymore (except for J.J. Abrams' Super 8 which looks like late 70s Spielberg). This actually felt like a "real" film, whereas the previous 2 felt like fantastic exercises in satire.

PopTodd, you should go onto IMDB and find a thread that discusses & lists all of the references. I was shocked at how many things went over my head. Considering the fact that I have a special place in my heart for these types of films, instead of the zombie & cop genre which might explain my preference for this over Hot Fuzz & Shaun Of The Dead.

Edit: Not to get too long, but I have to give props to one of the best aural cameos in years. And I love how one of the characters that you never see turns out to be one of the most iconic sci fi actresses of our time and our main characters never mention that, but directly quote the film instead to said character. Priceless.

Paul:

Not as good as I had hoped, but still a lot of fun. I liked the little sci-fi in jokes, but I'm sure that I missed more than I caught.

I am sure that it will be vilified by the folks who love their earlier movies. Not because it was a bad movie (it wasn't a bad movie). But lots of folks will say it was awful because it wasn't as good as their earlier ones. Plus, it's about time for the backlash. Here it comes.

Yes, I will watch it again when it comes out of DVD.

I haven't seen Paul yet, I probably will watch it on DVD - it doesn't look good enough to go to the cinema for. Anyway, my Simon Pegg backlash would go all the way back to Shaun Of Dead - I do think it's a pretty good film, but it's nowhere near as funny as the tv show Spaced. I found Hot Fuzz funnier, but again the Hollywood film pastiches were pretty obvious and I think it would have worked a lot better without any of that and played it a lot straighter in terms of the style. The bottom line with it all is that Simon Pegg used to be really really funny in everything he was in, and now I don't laugh at him anymore - tv comedy and film comedy are too different and he just doesn't come over so well on film.

this stuff will always be his best work (and he's the alien in this!):

Edit: Not to get too long, but I have to give props to one of the best aural cameos in years. And I love how one of the characters that you never see turns out to be one of the most iconic sci fi actresses of our time and our main characters never mention that, but directly quote the film instead to said character. Priceless.

My favorite moment of the movie. I just about squealed at that line, and I think that I may have been the only one in the theater who got it.

come+and+see+1985.jpg

Another classic of Soviet Cinema. A must see for anyone interested in Russian history and/or "The Great Patriotic War". Idi i Smotri outlines the atrocities commited by The Nazis against Belorussian peasants in 1943. An Excellent film.