Next Wilco Album

I have been absent from these boards for a while but the new Mavis album got me all wound up for Wilco again. That and Wilco (The Album), that is. I am so loving the new Mavis though that I am hoping it influences the direction of the next Wilco album. I'd love to see a focus on soulful, folky song structures and engineering. I am a bit over 8 minute drones. "You Are Not Alone" is one of the best things I've heard from Jeff in ages and would LOVE to hear a Wilco version of that song and more songs in that vein.

What about you? Any guesses or wishes?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

Any guesses or wishes?

Nothing that resembles this:

soulful, folky song structures and engineering.

"You Are Not Alone"...a Wilco version of that song and more songs in that vein.

I'm over this soulful, folky crap. I mean, I have nothing wrong with it in general, but I want a different Wilco now.

you know, i was absolutely blown away by the flaming lips new album embryonic. it was amazing a band that's been around for that long can reinvent themselves and keep from sounding dated. i don't know what direction wilco will go in, but i'd love see them do it with the same kind of enthusiasm the flaming lips did

i mean they have the musicianship to do a lot of things. that doesn't mean they need to overdo it, i just want to hear exciting and maybe a little more complex than some of the stuff they have done recently, even though i love that sound as well.

I'm over this soulful, folky crap. I mean, I have nothing wrong with it in general, but I want a different Wilco now.

God, I am, too. Like Tom said, the last few albums have lacked the kinds of things that only Wilco can do. I don't want a Wilco album that could be made by another band. I want something more layered and sonically adventurous. Experimenting doesn't always mean eight-minute drones, but it does mean not making an album that sounds like a lot of other things that are out there. Ending their relationship with Nonesuch and starting their own label will give them the freedom to do this, and it would be a waste of that freedom to continue in the same direction. I'd love to hear them build upon "One Wing" and "Bull Black Nova."

I remember reading somewhere (most likely an interview I found here)that John said they want to do something edgier on the next album. I think it's way too early to speculate, though. With as little time as they've spent in the studio, chances are they don't even have half the demos they'll need.

3 out of 3 people who have orange cats believe it's time for Wilco to change directions. :thumbup

Leave One Wing to U2; I'll gladly take more BBN, though.

Exactly the opposite for me. I think "One Wing" is the best thing they've done in years (and about the only thing I really liked on the latest album). More of that please, only harder.

I don't care for "Bull Black Nova."

Blistering rawk doesn't have to be boring and tuneless (which is how I feel about BBN).

Guest Speed Racer

I think the song is pretty multidimensional. Blistering rawk doesn't have to be a unilateral category; if this were their arrangement for a song like "I Got You," which I would also consider blistering rawk, then I'd have a beef with it. To me, the song conveys a sense of growing isolation and fear, especially as the guitars layer. It's the least boring song on the album to me.

Guest Speed Racer

I like the loud and quiet tunes in their catalog, but I'm hoping for the next album they'll come up with a batch of tunes that aren't so easy for their concert audiences to talk over darned boring.

Bull Black Nova doesn't do much for me either and I feel it's all too often held up as something precious. It has a really cool sound-scape and great playing. However, the lyrics put me in mind of a high school kid trying their hardest to be dark while working on a narrative poem assignment...creative kid, good use of language but ultimately feigned. I can't believe Tweedy when I hear him sing it. And I'm a guy who always believes Cash "killed a man in Reno, just to watch him die" even though I know he didn't and I've heard that song like 50 million times.

Most of what Wilco has done is folk arted out. They don't fool me, I still hear it fragmented underneath. That's actually a part of what draws me to their music: what can you do with a simple song? YHF and Summerteeth are both folky and experimental.

I'm also totally cool with them just having fun. However, I don't want them to have quite as much fun as Wilco (the album) for this next one.

Songwriting trumps any sound direction for me, if the songs are compelling enough at this point they have the lineup to pull off almost any direction they want to go in. I haven't really loved the last two albums in the way I liked the earlier stuff, but Califone has done a great job of scratching my YHF-AGIB itches.

--Mike

Preach on, sister. I want to hear some rock out of these dudes.