Next Wilco Album

They are clearly in rut. I think they need to do an album full of songs for those twerk dancers. Or maybe come up with their own brand new dance craze. This is what it's about nowadays, sadly I just don't think they get it.

Hmmm...maybe I could take them under my wing.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's an awfully big assumption to make that Wilco isn't "putting 100 percent into everything". I don't get the impression that anybody in that band is settling for anything less than putting everything they've got into their musical endeavors. Whether or not the end result fits any one person's particular taste, or what Wilco should sound like based on some notion that the earlier albums are the "valid" Wilco sound, is a very subjective thing.

I became a hardcore fan shortly after Sky Blue Sky was released (after finally seeing a live show), and this incarnation of the band is all I know, which gives me a much different point of view than somebody who has been listening from the beginning. I've listened to tons of shows from every period, and have found things to love with every iteration of this band. That being said, I really love what both Nels and Pat bring to Wilco, especially in a live setting. I disagree with the idea that Nels to "too good". I think he's a perfect fit, and represents an evolution in the sound of the band (that I happen to like). To me, Wilco just sounds like a band that has members that have personally and musically matured, and I'm okay with what's been described as the "dad rock" sound (even though I don't find that term very useful). For some people, Wilco's new music sounds less vital, and I'm okay with that opinion too. I used to be a huge Pearl Jam fan in high school, was with them from the earliest days, bought every import I could find, convinced myself that any obscure crappy B-Side (Bee Girl, WTF?) was gold...and then, suddenly after the 4th album, they just lost it for me. My relationship with the band changed, they got older, I got older, etc. It happens. I look forward to Wilco's next album, whatever it may sound like.

yup .. I think that is one thing us newbies have as far as a point of reference ... I think the currnet incarnation of Wilco is the best ... I like all the incarnations though but with Nels and Sansone it just speaks to me ....

I'll say this again: one of my least favorite things about Nels is that while he can mimick any sound - country-western, rock, whatever W(TA) was - it sounds like he's mimicking. Jay played country-western licks; Nels plays licks that sound like country-western licks.

I agree with this 100%. When Nels plays lap steel "in the country style," it doesn't sound or feel like the real article. The country songs on AM do.

What's strange is that Nels can play authentic country music. He did when he was with the Geraldine Fibbers (though they were less country by the time he joined, they still played their older material live), and he did when he played on Carla Bozulich's reimagining of Willie Nelson's Redheaded Stranger. The fact that his more recent playing doesn't come across as authentic (and I fully agree that it doesn't) leads me to believe it's the songwriting and the role he's allowed to take in Wilco more than it is his musicianship.

I'd be interested in a Wilco album where each of them had the chance to write a song or two, one where the creative control is more equally distributed. What's been troubling to me for the last few years is that except for the Autumn Defense, I think all of the Wilco "side projects" are making more interesting music than Wilco has been. There's the potential for a vastly different sound than the last two albums. I'd hate to see that potential continue to go to waste. Let's face it: Nels is 10 years older than the rest of the band, and he's not getting any younger. If his time in Wilco ends before they record the more sonically adventurous album I know they're capable of with this lineup, I'm going to be really disappointed. He's way too good of guitarist for his biggest Wilco legacy to be the solo in Impossible Germany.

Guest Speed Racer

I often wonder what I'd think if the next album was full of easy rockers. I actually likr most of the rockers that have appeared in and around the recent albums: W(TS), Dark Neon, Just a Kid - the "deeper" songs to me have been an odd combination of overdone and underthought. The easy rockers just have less pretense and are very satisfying.

I often wonder what I'd think if the next album was full of easy rockers. I actually likr most of the rockers that have appeared in and around the recent albums: W(TS), Dark Neon, Just a Kid - the "deeper" songs to me have been an odd combination of overdone and underthought. The easy rockers just have less pretense and are very satisfying.

I like all of Wilco's styles, but in the rare instances when they flat out rock-out, I'm always impressed. It would be nice to hear them let it fly for one album. I'm particularly fond of "Let's Not Get Carried Away."

I do think that Reprise suggested this about 15 years ago, and I believe the boys rejected this notion.

This song needs to rear its awesome head more often.

I love these songs too. Whenever Just a Kid comes up on my iPod it puts me right into bouncey, head-bobbing mode. They should play these more often.

My main problem with the last album is that the songs were not personal enough. YHF, AGIB, and SBS were full of lyrically strong and complex songwriting. and even though SBS was simpler, the songs still felt very emotional and real. Wilco The album was basically the band writing an album about there sound instead of creating something honest and real, it felt manufactured. I just want that Wilco back...I want to feel the emotion, as the last album was completely lacking it.

This reminds me of a comment Jeff made at a show in West Des Moines before SBS came out: "Here's another mid-tempo rocker from Wilco."

I just thought of it... they might explore a more blue eyed soul (not the song) oriented direction. They sort of got into it on SBS and it was almost there for W(TA). That's my guess, I guess. I mean, he produced Mavis and stuff.

I just thought of it... they might explore a more blue eyed soul (not the song) oriented direction. They sort of got into it on SBS and it was almost there for W(TA). That's my guess, I guess. I mean, he produced Mavis and stuff.

I would love an album of stuff that sounds like "Blue Eyed Soul," the song.

Guest Speed Racer

Though I don't care too much for the song, I would have to agree.

If "You Are Not Alone" appears on the next album I'll probably have to throw in the towel. Wilco-fronted b-side, fine. But if they have to recycle that tune for the album, I have to seriously question their ability to generate music.

If "You Are Not Alone" appears on the next album I'll probably have to throw in the towel. Wilco-fronted b-side, fine. But if they have to recycle that tune for the album, I have to seriously question their ability to generate music.

I can't imagine them doing the above.

I'm thinking a 70s Beach Boys type move. You know, after the whole smile thing didn't happen.

If it sounds like Surf's Up, I'll be really fucking happy. Even if there's a song as dumb as Student Demonstration Time.

--Mike

lock me in, i am one of those fans where i can listen to any wilco album straight through and not skip a song, sure there are songs that don't strike me hard or move me or 'get my groove on' but at this point in my musical life, they are like my favorite childhood sports team growing up, im in it with them until the end, undying support and love. i first got into wilco when AM came out and im only 32 so there are plenty of years left to celebrate.

at this point in my musical life, they are like my favorite childhood sports team growing up, im in it with them until the end, undying support and love.

That's a good analogy, and as lifelong Brewers fans, we know a thing or two about sticking through the thick and thin.