Next Wilco Album

yeah you said they could only do call and response on songs that suit it. how do you know what would suit it and what wouldn't? ignoring the call and response thing for a second, i think you seem to be implying that songs inherently have a style of arrangement that suit them - which, again makes no sense to me. otherwise i'm not sure what you're point is about that?

as i said, I DON'T HOLD IT UP - if i was doing anything with it i was doing it very low down - it was an example of the very simplest form of what i consider interesting vocal arrangements, it's not even "call and response" as such, the backing is not responding it is performing the role of a lead vocal (in that it plays a key role in the narrative of the song) but doing it in the form of backing - now isn't that "interesting?". and no - wilco still fall short of that. again - this is a very very simple way of making the backing interesting. someday soon - is a good example actually, "oooo, oooo, ahhhh!" - how is that what i'm talking about? that is a perfect example of simple vocal arranging - it could just as easily not be there. candyfloss etc... if you think it's the same, then like i said before there's not much point discussing it.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

yeah you said they could only do call and response on songs that suit it. how do you know what would suit it and what wouldn't?

All of the demos I've heard in my times, Wilco and otherwise, make clear that certain arrangements suit other songs better than others. Take that damned cover version of IATTBYH - an abomination in the eyes of the lord. Songs definitely have styles that DON'T suit them, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Hell as Chrome near as much with an "interesting" (still love that word, btw) vocal arrangement.

as i said, I DON'T HOLD IT UP

POOR CHOICE OF WORDS ON MY PART WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME!? DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT USE IT AS AN EXAMPLE? IF YOU DON'T THINK IT'S A GOOD ONE WHY DID YOU SAY IT?

i'm shouting, cos i said i wasn't holding it up about 3 times.

i don't know what cover version you are talking about.

there might be definitive versions of songs, but you can certainly arrange music & vocals differently and achieve as good, if not better results. the feelings expressed and overall nature of hell is chrome could easily work with a good vocal arrangement (i'll stop being polite and saying "interesting" and just say good, rather than bad - then you can say "good" is a subjective word instead if you wish) - i can't see why it wouldn't, it's not like having other vocals on the track would lessen the message - it's like saying a song is too depressing in nature to use brass instruments; or this one needs to be upbeat, so no cellos! he's using 1 vocal to begin with, and that hasn't ruined the song, why would having more doing other things do so?

edit: i used it as an example - whilst clearly saying, it was a simple form of what i meant. again, i'll say this too - i used it because i knew you'd know it. i wasn't holding it up - holding it up means i'm raising it above other examples. as i also implied, but didn't exactly say - i was using it to show how low down in the vocal arrangement league i thought wilco songs were. therefore, i said something i thought was a very simple example of it, and made it clear that wilco's vocal arrangements came below it. i can't see why you view that as "holding" something up.

Guest Speed Racer

i don't know what cover version you are talking about.

There are approximately 48 threads about it in Just a Fan (this expressing amusement at how many times its been posted, not disgust for you missing it). I might not agree with you, but I certainly don't want to cause you harm by exposing you to it. You're free to seek it out, though. Uptown Sound, I think, is the name of the spawn of satan band that violently sodomized recorded it.

there might be definitive versions of songs, but you can certainly arrange music & vocals differently and achieve as good, if not better results.

I guess the point that I was stating is that there are no Wilco songs that I think need to be "better," except the one that I think needs to be banished for all time.

Guest Speed Racer

i wanna hear it now. i bet i love it! :monkey

As different as we are, I think you and I are about to find common ground. :lol I should also warn you, the singer has man boobs that are better than a rack you'd find in a tittie bar.

John just tweeted that he fired Pat.

Praise Jehovah!

yeah, ok - that is bad. we definately can agree on that. but, that band doing any song would be bad.

also, actually that is a very good example of "uninteresting" music - it's just run of the mill, you know what everything is going to do even before it does it; apart from his vocals ironically, which are kind of interesting in a "what the fuck's he trying to do, murder it?" kind of way. if you take everything they do in that song and think of the opposite of it - that's how "interesing"/"good"/"exciting" i want the vocal arrangements to sound.

There are approximately 48 threads about it in Just a Fan (this expressing amusement at how many times its been posted, not disgust for you missing it). I might not agree with you, but I certainly don't want to cause you harm by exposing you to it. You're free to seek it out, though. Uptown Sound, I think, is the name of the spawn of satan band that violently sodomized recorded it.

I can see where you're coming from. But I kinda see that one as being fun. Certainly it's no substitute for the real deal.

I just the other day heard a reggae version of Karma Police that kinda worked, too.

I guess I don't take these things (sanctity of the "original" versions of songs) too seriously. But some things were just not meant to be. This for example:

Bob_Dylan-At_Budokan-Frontal.jpg

I know it doesn't make for a very juicy thread but this all depends on opinion and perception. People in this thread have asked for more folk,less folk, experimentation,darker, lighter, more rock, more rawk even. Can someone name me a Wilco album that doesn't contain folk,rock,experimentation,...etc. Every album cant be Yankee and AGIB. If it were people would bitch they haven't evolved enough.

Guest Speed Racer

I think one consensus is that their next album should include good songs, which is definitely an element they have overlooked in recent albums. Like Joss said, they could release a reggae album and if it didn't include such tepid lyrics and Pat Sansone overplaying, I'd be happy.

:lol That's what I was thinking. BITUSA sounds much more dated to me than BTR. In fact, I think the production on Born To Run stands up pretty well today.

OK

You are no longer dead to me

Ha, no, I generally think of the song itself (BTR) when I think of the terrible production. The opening bars just reek of mid-70s production. BITUSA is no better. Poor guy really got shafted with producers.

OK

Dead again

I am going to be 43 next month, just so you know.

Whippersnapper

As different as we are, I think you and I are about to find common ground. :lol I should also warn you, the singer has man boobs that are better than a rack you'd find in a tittie bar.

In the 'better' version of the cover, the lead singer is wearing a jacket and the man boobs are hidden

He's getting his cat avatars confused.

You are correct sir.

Too many damn cats.

Guest Speed Racer

He's getting his cat avatars confused.

That's what happens when you're 44.

And I interpreted your post, Crow, as saying the only thing that is better about the second version is the covered moobs? :lol

That's what happens when you're 44.

44? I wish.

And I interpreted your post, Crow, as saying the only thing that is better about the second version is the covered moobs? :lol

Yeah. The guy ain't that fat, so I'm thinking he has smoked a lot of weed in his life...

People think too much .. I read this thread well should say I scanned it ....as far as the next Wilco album I look forward to it and I am sure it will be an artistic statement that people will either get or they wont .. some will accept it for what it is and others would swear that they missed the boat and find all kind of fault with it ... some look at art and all they see is the brush strokes and miss the feel and arent moved on some level

This is a huge revelation! So smoking weed gave me these tits but how do you explain the vagina forming in my knee-pit...shrooms?

Do you mean 'Mangina'?

Don't think it's the shrooms. Might be all the justin beiber and Miley Cyrus you may or may not have been exposed to.