My label is folding

It's a sad thing.

Spade Kitty was created by Matt Walters not to make tons of cash, but to help friends' bands get records out. And, he did just that. I owe him my entire music career (if it can be called that). Without Matt and SK, I would not even have one record out, let alone two.

The man just got tired of busting his ass trying to get people to listen to records, that he believed in; and getting ignored.

He also underwrote a 3-year series of shows at FitzGerald's in Berwyn, and got a lot of folks onto that sweet, sweet stage who, otherwise may not have been able to play there.

Thank you, Matt.

If anyone is interested, there is one final show on 10/14, that will mark the end of the series and of the label.

:cheers

Guest Hollinger.

The man just got tired of busting his ass trying to get people to listen to records, that he believed in; and getting ignored.

He also underwrote a 3-year series of shows at FitzGerald's in Berwyn, and got a lot of folks onto that sweet, sweet stage who, otherwise may not have been able to play there.

Aren't you supposed to be a copy editor?

Aren't you supposed to be a copy editor?

Writer, actually. But, I don't bother proofing my posts. Because... really... who cares?

But, back on-topic, here is the official announcement:

BERWYN, IL (10/14/2010) After a 16-year run, Chicago indie label Spade Kitty is deciding to pack it in.

From the very beginning, it was a battle to get noticed, and to stay afloat, but label founder and owner Matt Walters is adamant, “This thing was never about the money. I just wanted to get my own music out there, and to help my friends’ bands get heard, too.”

The label officially began in September of 1994, with a handshake deal to release an album from local power pop combo Post Office.

Since then, the label has released 30 albums from Chicago bands, including Paper Airplane Pilots, Trakan, Hop On Pop, The Red Plastic Buddha, and The Pralines, as well as recordings from several of Walters’ own projects, including Olde Style, The Three Fifths, and Roxy Swain. The latter of those actually had some chart success – in Indonesia, of all places! Unfortunately, nothing more came of that.

Through the years, the label became something of a family, with many musicians playing in multiple bands on the label; Walters, in particular, was all over the place. As of late, however, he has felt spread thin, playing in as many as 5 bands at once. Add to that the pressure of running the label, trying to find new ways to get unknown bands heard, and booking and promoting shows, and…

“It’s disappointing, for sure, and I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. There have been a lot of great supporters of the label; I have good friends. But, I’m tired, and it’s time to close it up.”

For the last 4 years, Spade Kitty has sponsored a monthly Thursday night showcase at Fitzgerald’s in Berwyn. The evening has become relatively successful, building a dedicated audience who come to see the variety of talent being offered up each month. The showcase has also provided several local musicians a chance to play on the stage of one of the premier small clubs in the Chicago area.

Fitzgerald’s will host one final Spade Kitty Night on Thursday, October 14. The lineup includes Hop On Pop, Living Struggle, Loud Quiet Loud, and a solo set from Walters, himself.

Me too.

But, I have to actually try when I write for work.

Now, could we please stay on topic? I feel badly for my friend and want to give him his due.

Trying to stay civil. I know the urge to give shit when you see something that bugs you.

It,s. A.L.L. cüle.

Now help me mourn my friend's label, if you would.

(Damnit, I can't stop second guessing my punctuation.)

Where will Pop hop next? (Honest question about your plans, but also a pun I couldn't resist.)

No clue.

I haven't written a (complete) song in more than a year, so I don't think that it's a very pressing concern for me. I'm more curious as to what my friends' bands are going to do — those who are on the label, and were planning on releasing something in the near future.

I, myself, may just record a couple of songs for online-only release as a follow-up single, A/B. (I just have to figure out that mechanism for myself now.)

After that, it's anyone's guess.

I suspect that these tiny record labels, like most record labels, are a thing of the past.

Yeah, I agree. To paraphrase Charles Dickens, its the best of times AND the worst of times to be an artist. Sure, the traditional way of doing things - labels, radio, singles, etc - is dying out, but there's never been more ways for small time bands to get their stuff heard if they want to. And of course, on the other other side of things, because of that ease of use, its a lot harder to be singled out of the crowd.

All things considered, I'd say as long as one is willing to do some of the things that labels are supposed to do, theres enough tools that make having a label not worth it. If you want, its pretty easy to get on iTunes, Amazon, etc, and services like Bandcamp let you have your own personalized website/store.

I am sorry to hear about your label Todd, but the future is bright.