2010-2011 NHL Season

You must have been watching a different game.

I don't think I'm that far off. Even in the first and second periods I thought that Vancouver controlled the majority of the play, and then definitely in the third and overtime.

This is the first year that I've really followed a team and gotten into hockey from the very beginning of the season. I used to make fun of my brother for getting so involved and being so intense when it came to hockey, and now I understand the feeling.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharks/Kings - nobody cares because whoever wins this series will lose in the next round.

I'd love to argue this, but given how shaky Niemi looked this series it's difficult to be confident going into the 2nd round. But it was good to see Thornton get the game winner, and even better to see the Sharks not quit when the series got tough. Props to the Kings, though - they played well and things could have easily gone the other way.

I'd love to argue this, but given how shaky Niemi looked this series it's difficult to be confident going into the 2nd round. But it was good to see Thornton get the game winner, and even better to see the Sharks not quit when the series got tough. Props to the Kings, though - they played well and things could have easily gone the other way.

Actually, the Sharks stand a very good chance of getting through the next round. They'll play the Wings if Vancouver wins tonight, and they owned the Wings last year, although it was after Phoenix wore out Detroit in a grinding 7 game series. Detroit's been resting for a week this year. They'll play Chicago if Chicago wins, and I would assume that Chicago would be all but spent after this series.

But - I expected the Sharks to have a much easier time with the Kings, especially since Kopitar was out. The Kings have a nice foundation though. Doughty will win the Norris some day, and Johnathan Quick is one of the better young goalies out there.

Great Hawks-Nucks game. As debated before, I think the Canucks showed a little more dominance in this game. Hopefully the win will put them back in a stronger place mentally. I dont think they were necessarily having doubts in the series, they were playing the defending CUP Champs after all, kudos to the Hawks for a great series. It would have been nice to see them win it in regulation but perhaps the OT winner will spark them up. Good to see Burrows heating up.

I don't know if it was a terrible game plan by the Hawks, or terrible playing by their D, or good forechecking by the Canucks, but the Blackhawks D couldn't make an outlet pass to save their lives last night. Except for a brief period on the 3rd, when they slowed it down, took their time, and actually brought it out of the defensive zone, they were trying to make long-bomb two-line passes - which never connected.

They had no offensive pressure - they couldn't cycle the puck in the corners, and they never put a body in front of Luongo.

The only reason they were in a position to tie it late in the game was because of Crawford. He stood on his head.

Sharp had as good of a chance that you could ask for in OT.

watching the Canucks v Preds game tonight, eventhought the final was 1-0, the Canucks controlled the game. Preds have great defense and solid goaltending, outshot 30-20, i just don't see the Predators hanging with the Canucks all series. Rinne will hold strong but can't win it on his own.

Canucks take Game 2 as well.

Yeah, Rinne was the only good thing about the Preds tonight. I do think they're gonna come back harder next game though. The games during the regular season between the Canucks and Preds were hard ones and I expect the competition level to go up. I think the Canucks will take it in 5.

I haven't watched a lot of hockey the last few years but was able to catch the Bruins/Flyers game last night. I'm not sure if it's because of rule changes I'm not aware of, because it's play off hockey, or both, but it seemed to me that there is far less dumping pucks into the opposing teams zones (save for the defense doing it on power plays).

It made the game that much more enjoyable to watch as there seemed to be a more consistent flow (less whistles for icing, etc.)....

Can anyone who follows hockey more regularly comment on this?

I haven't watched a lot of hockey the last few years but was able to catch the Bruins/Flyers game last night. I'm not sure if it's because of rule changes I'm not aware of, because it's play off hockey, or both, but it seemed to me that there is far less dumping pucks into the opposing teams zones (save for the defense doing it on power plays).

It made the game that much more enjoyable to watch as there seemed to be a more consistent flow (less whistles for icing, etc.)....

Can anyone who follows hockey more regularly comment on this?

It really depends on the teams that are playing. Some play a puck-possession style, and others dump and chase.

The bigger, faster, but less skilled teams dump it into the corner, then try to cycle it between 3-4 players while wearing the other team down and waiting for a scoring opportunity to unfold.

The higher skilled teams tend to try hold onto the puck in all zones.

The ones who are bigger, faster AND more skilled (see Vancouver and San Jose) pretty much dictate play, and the other team hopes their goalie can keep them in the game.

There's no concensus on which style is the best suited to win the Cup, because every year a new style is successful, and the less creative GMs chase that particular "it" team by trying to emulate them.

But as for different rules for playoffs, that's definitely true. There's generally less whistles, especially if it's a game 7. The refs seem to swallow their whistle in 3rd periods altogether.

Caps keep finding new ways to lose in the playoffs. At least the home fans didn't have to see it in person this year. :cryin

Looks like 3 out of the 4 Conference Semifinals are going to be sweeps. Awful.

Sharks have woken up after their sleepy start against the Kings. They will be a good matchup for Vancouver, and are probably the only team left who DO matchup with them.

Fuckin Caps, man.

I will say, Tampa has done a great job putting together that team this year, and they're hot at the right time. They'll beat Boston/Philly and give the West champ a good run.

But watching Martin St. Louis hit another series-clinching goal against the Caps...it's like the last eight years never even happened.

:ohwell

"This TB is Whipping Me" tweedy's cover, should be playing at the Bolts games. They are playing convincing hockey, they look like a Cup team. very solid, young, aggressive team. I'm quite impressed with Roloson, didn't think he would hold up this long but he has been stellar.

SJ v Van will be a great West Semis. It could go either way, both teams are aching for it.

Wow, two rounds with two series starting 3-0 only to have the other team come back to force a game 7. Exciting stuff! Before Philadelphia forced a game 7 after being down 0-3 last year, (and the even-more-amazing part of that comeback was that they were down 3-0 in the first period of game 7 - and came back to win that one 4-3), a team down 0-3 (in games) had forced a game 7 FIVE TIMES. Now it's happened three times in the last two post-seasons.

I hope the Wings can do what the Blackhawks couldn't.

Winning a best-of-seven series after being down 0-3 has only happened three times in the NHL. Once in MLB. Never in the NBA.

The Wings obviously have a ton of momentum right now, and the Sharks have one hell of a monkey on their backs that they need to buck... yet I feel better about SJ's chances for game 7 than I did about game 6. Every game this series could have gone either way... even last night when the Wings were clearly outplaying SJ for almost the entire game. For a few mins there it looked like SJ was going to steal one they didn't really deserve.

I dunno... there's a lot of doom & gloom around SJ fan boards, but I hope the players aren't buying into that. All six games of the series have been decided by 1 goal (excluding last night's late EN goal), and each team has had periods of dominance.... I don't see why game 7 will be any different. Either way, I'll be sad it's over -- it's been a great series with some great hockey.

The Wings obviously have a ton of momentum right now, and the Sharks have one hell of a monkey on their backs that they need to buck... yet I feel better about SJ's chances for game 7 than I did about game 6. Every game this series could have gone either way... even last night when the Wings were clearly outplaying SJ for almost the entire game. For a few mins there it looked like SJ was going to steal one they didn't really deserve.

I dunno... there's a lot of doom & gloom around SJ fan boards, but I hope the players aren't buying into that. All six games of the series have been decided by 1 goal (excluding last night's late EN goal), and each team has had periods of dominance.... I don't see why game 7 will be any different. Either way, I'll be sad it's over -- it's been a great series with some great hockey.

I don't know if momentum carries from game to game. I'm pretty sure that neither Babcock or McClellan believe in it.

Agreed that it's been a great series. Looking forward to game 7.

The Sharks sure seemed like a different team without Ryan Clowe. To me, he's been their post-season MVP, with a nod to Boyle as well.

That game 7 last night was everything I could have hoped for -- just an excellent way to end an excellent series. Kudos to the Wings for not giving up when down 3-0, kudos to SJ for not panicking when it became 3-3. I think Thornton has fully exorcised his demons -- he was a beast all series, especially game 7 -- and it was nice to see Marleau get the game winner. FU jeremy roenick.

On to Vancouver! Honestly, I have no clue what to expect. The Canucks are a great team and are definitely better rested right now... but will that rest turn to rust? We shall see...

• 2 weeks later...

Looking like Boston/Vancouver series.

Vancouver will be looking to get revenge for getting fleeced for Cam Neely in 1986.

I don't know if I'm ready to give it to Boston... I didn't watch the whole game, but the parts I saw I thought TB were outplaying them pretty handily, just couldn't get the pucks in the net (in a few cases due to TT's heroics). But I think TB still has a shot.

Vancouver/SJ... yeah, I'm not feeling like a big comeback is in the cards for my beloved Sharks. Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong -- or, at the very least play 60 full minutes and go out with dignity.