2010-2011 NHL Season

Horton was in his third stride after making the pass when he was hit. Rome had plenty of time to ease up / abort the hit.

Horton was definitely "guilty" of admiring his pass, but that doesn't absolve Rome in any way. It was dirty.

There is a real problem in the NHL with players lacking respect for their opponents and actually looking to cause injury.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And by the way...is 'cheapshotted' a word? Isn't it really correct to say "Rome Cheapshot on Horton"?

And yes, I am bored at work, thank you for asking.

cheap shotted. Should be two words.

I guess what I was so inarticulatly saying is "Cheap Shot" appears to be a noun...not a verb.

And now I'm bored at home

And yes, I am bored at work, thank you for asking.

And now I'm bored at home

See. This is how people might wind up taking pictures of their junk and hoo hahs.

Why aren't you watching the Mavs and Heat?

See. This is how people might wind up taking pictures of their junk and hoo hahs.

Why aren't you watching the Mavs and Heat?

I am so out on basketball. I turned it on with :44 seconds left, turned the channel and watched 15 minutes of something on the History Channel, turned it back to see what the final score was and there were still :06 left.

Ridiculous.

NOW Back to Hockey

Have not been on Board for a bit

Life gets in the way w/ s.s. coming up thought id'e look around

If the Bruins (yes im a Bruins Fan Grew up in the City)

Can sustain their energy and channel their anger over the above discussed cheap shoot

and Huge Loss in Horton (3 G winning Goals in Playoffs this yr)

Then The Bruins will win the game! imho

Although I understand everyone being upset over the hit, I truly believe that the majority of hockey players do not go in for a hit to cause serious harm. Yes, they want to finish their hits and knock guys on their asses and bang them up all to hell, but I don't believe that the intent to cause serious injury is there. Perhaps I am being too naive...?

I've watched every Canucks game this season since the beginning of November and I've seen Rome play throughout the season. He's not a thug. He doesn't target vulnerable players. He made a really shitty decision to step up on Horton, but if he hit him as soon as the puck was released then it would have been a legal, north/south hit. I think the 4 games suspension is fair because I don't like seeing anyone from any team get hurt and I hope they are able to make the game a little bit safer.

For all of you who continue to call the Canucks and Rome disrespectful/dirty players, just go back to the Chara/Pacioretty hit and think about your own reactions to it. Did you excuse it just because you're a Boston fan? If the positions were reversed and it was Chara stepping up for a late hit on Kesler with the same results, I bet most of you would be celebrating the hit and saying it was a good hockey play.

All teams make bad hits and take bad hits throughout the entire season and playoffs. You can't demonize one team over the other. Just my opinion.

I don't think the Canucks are a dirty team, nor is Rome a dirty player. I think it was a dirty hit, and clearly illegal, and he was justly penalized.

I'm not a Bruins fan, but I do think that Chara's hit was more of an unfortunate placement of a poorly padded stanchion.

I do think that Raffi Torres is a punk though.

it's not just the hit...it's the Burrows bite, the Sedin's flopping/faking all over the place, etc. i didn't watch any canucks games during the regular season, but i'm not too impressed w/ their level of class in this series.

Yes, the biting was pretty unclassy (although I still laughed a little when I saw it) but the Bruins taunted and responded to that in a manner that lacked class as well. Again, emotions get the best of all players some of the time and they do stupid things, from BOTH teams. As for the Sedins, I really don't know what you're referring too. They haven't been flopping all over the ice and/or exaggerating things. Do you have an example of what you mean?

As for the Sedins, I really don't know what you're referring too. They haven't been flopping all over the ice and/or exaggerating things. Do you have an example of what you mean?

i couldn't find any video, but it happened right after this hit:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/photos?gameId=310606001&photoId=1351296

Sedin went down clutching his face like he had a screwdriver put through his eye, then got up after he realized he wasn't fooling anyone, casually skated over to Ference, and then grabbed him around the neck. do you recall that sequence?

Yeah, the Sedins are pretty well known around the NHL as floppers. They fall all the time after incidental/light contact, trying to draw penalties. They really should be playing soccer.

Sedin went down clutching his face like he had a screwdriver put through his eye, then got up after he realized he wasn't fooling anyone, casually skated over to Ference, and then grabbed him around the neck. do you recall that sequence?

The funny thing is, Sedin initiated contact on that play, if it's the play I'm thinking of.

Hmmm...I don't actually remember that sequence, but I'll take you're word for it then. I guess I kind of tend to doubt some of the generalizations that the Sedins are "floppers" because most of the people who say that or the reporters who write about it don't actually watch a lot of Canucks hockey. I feel like its a self-perpetuating myth put out there by Eastern media sources who don't focus on the West. It's an easy storyline to put out there. Have the Sedins exaggerated hits/contact? Probably. Do other players as well? Probably. Are the Sedins amazing players with a tonne of skill and ability. Yep, but I don't think they get the credit they deserve in the media.

Luongo's Achilles Heel, or perhaps more accurately named, his Achilles Shitty Fucking Glove Hand, was really exposed last night.

Vancouver is such a strange team - when they're on their game, no other team can touch their speed, puck-control, and toughness. If you're better than the other team on those factors, you're going to win way more often than lose - and it played out that way over the season with the Canucks winning the President's Trophy, and also in the way they dominated the Sharks and Preds.

But when they lose their focus, like last night (and in games 4 & 5 against the Hawks), it looks like they're sleepwalking.

Boston's offense looks accidental - I'm always surprised when they score. I'm never thinking "wow, nothing Vancouver could have done about that - what a beautiful play"

The Bruins are sniffing blood now because of Vancouver's depleted D, and because of the confidence they have via Thomas's superior goaltending, but I can't see them winning on the road.

Vancouver can be contained as long as Kesler and the Sedins are kept off the scoreboard, but how many games in a row can that be expected to happen? Eventually they'll contribute to the scoresheet.

Whoever wins game 5 will win the series. I don't see either team coming back to win the final two games if they lose the next one.

Boston's offense looks accidental - I'm always surprised when they score. I'm never thinking "wow, nothing Vancouver could have done about that - what a beautiful play"

not even Marchand's shorthanded goal in game 3? really? I guess you were in near continual state of surprise during the last two periods of game 3...or the play Krejci made that sprung Peverley free last night for the breakaway?

or the play Krejci made that sprung Peverley free last night for the breakaway?

Ok, that was a good play by Krejci, but it was a shitty five-hole goal allowed by Luongo that Peverly didn't even make a deke-move on. Shoulda been stopped.

And yes, I agree - Marchand's SH goal was beautiful.

I think the last two periods of game 3 were more of a factor of the Canucks D leaving Luongo out to dry. And yes, I was in a continual state of surprise during that game. If you weren't, then you must be surprised every time the Bruins don't score 8 goals.

Certainly a disappointing week for Vancouver fans. Thomas has been outstanding, and Luongo... not so much. On the bright side, Vancouver has recaputered some of the spirit of 2010. It has been fun to see people wearing Canuck jerseys to work, flying flags and decorating public art and monuments for the occasion. The streets are deserted and the bars and fan zones are packed. My boss gave us permission to leave early when the Canucks play so we can get home before the puck drops. Honestly, it's hard to bitch.

And for fans who want to make a difference, click here:

Boston Bruins Foundation

All contributions of time and money are appreciated and help the Foundation enrich the lives of children in the Boston community.

Go Canucks Go! Pledge Club

By registering for the Go Canucks Go! Pledge Club you agree to make a donation to Canuck Place Children’s Hospice based on the value of your pledge multiplied by the number of Vancouver Canucks wins in the 2010-2011 NHL season and during the 2011 Playoffs.

Go Canucks Go! :canada