2010-2011 NHL Season

I'm not thrilled with the realignment as it stands right now. Seems absurd that the conferences with only 7 teams have the least amount of travel (FL teams excluded). Also the geographical layout of the eastern conferences is unusual, to say the least.

NewAlignment.jpg

I'm also concerned about playoffs being a lot more predictable, at least as far as who gets in every year. If you're a Red Wings fan, you've got to be thrilled that your team no longer has to compete with SJ, VAN, ANA, COL, LA, PHX for a playoff spot. Those 7 team conferences where only 3 teams get eliminated are a joke.

If the NHL is dead set on having 4 conferences like this, then I think the only fair tweak would be to make the 2 western conferences (with a lot more travel) be the ones with 7 teams and have the 2 eastern conferences (aka "the bus tour") get the tougher 8 team setup. Move Colorado to the 'midwest' conference, and Detroit & Columbus (or Nashville) to the east.

Also, with uneven conferences it seems as if they're positioning themselves for expansion (or, better yet, contraction)? I dunno, just doesn't seem like a logical, long-term structure. Then again, this is the NHL, where logic isn't necessarily required.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also concerned about playoffs being a lot more predictable, at least as far as who gets in every year. If you're a Red Wings fan, you've got to be thrilled that your team no longer has to compete with SJ, VAN, ANA, COL, LA, PHX for a playoff spot. Those 7 team conferences where only 3 teams get eliminated are a joke.

As a Red Wings fan, competing for a playoff spot hasn't been an issue since 1990, which I think is the last time they haven't qualified for the playoffs. I'm more thrilled that they only have to make one trip out to those cities per year.

Once Phoenix moves to Quebec, that will make one of the Eastern conferences an 8 team conference, and the most Western one will have 7.

There's really nothing you can do to allieviate the travel for the West, but the new plan makes it less onerous than the current plan.

• 5 months later...