Best and/or favorite guest appearances

I was thinking about this on the way into work today...Usually, a guest appearance on an album is pretty pointless, and sometimes damages the entire album. I can only think of a few examples of guests elevating a song to something the primary band/artist would not have been able to achieve by themself.

I'll start:

Battle of Evermore: Led Zeppelin with Sandy Denny

The Ox: The Who with Nicky Hopkins

Willie the Pimp: Zappa with Captain Beefheart

"Groove is in the Heart" - Deee-Lite with Bootsy Collins and Q-Tip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4D1HSL7P98

And, do duets count?

"Under Pressure" - Queen with David Bowie

"A Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl :wub

"Groove is in the Heart" - Deee-Lite with Bootsy Collins and Q-Tip

And, do duets count?"Under Pressure" - Queen with David Bowie

"A Fairytale of New York" - The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl :wub

Yes duets count, as long as one person is not officially part of the main act.

I'll add another one:

Talking Heads: Once in a Lifetime, with Eno on backing vocals.

Eno's singing gives this song a character that I don't think they would have achieved if someone in the band, or some random session singer sang Eno's part.

"Streets of Bakersfield" - Dwight Yoakam with Buck Owens

"Where the Wild Roses Grow" - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds w/ Kylie Minogue

Did you just make up all those names?

no.

Nick's better known as The Bevis Frond, a sadly underrated outfit that crosses brilliant Hollies-esque pop songs w/ Hendrix guitar freakouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKDR7VN3SYA

Current 93 is the long-running project of David Tibet, which first started out as noisy industrial stuff but gave way to beautifully plangent apocalyptic folk. Will Oldham is a recent adjunct member of C93, along w/ others.

Groundhogs' Tony McPhee is a great guitar player. 'Cherry Red' is likely their best-known song. good stuff though can be a bit derivative.

no.

Nick's better known as The Bevis Frond, a sadly underrated outfit that crosses brilliant Hollies-esque pop songs w/ Hendrix guitar freakouts.

Current 93 is the long-running project of David Tibet, which first started out as noisy industrial stuff but gave way to beautifully plangent apocalyptic folk. Will Oldham is a recent adjunct member of C93, along w/ others.

Groundhogs' Tony McPhee is a great guitar player. 'Cherry Red' is likely their best-known song. good stuff though can be a bit derivative.

:thumbup

Of all the names in your previous post, Nick Salomon was the one that seemed somewhat familiar. Bevis Frond is a group I've long intended to check out*, but whenever I see their albums they're always $20+. I'll try to listen to some of these groups.

*Actually, I used to have this one a long time ago, but I never got into it and I let it go. I might like it a lot nowadays.

49435.jpg

:thumbup

Of all the names in your previous post, Nick Salomon was the one that seemed somewhat familiar. Bevis Frond is a group I've long intended to check out*, but whenever I see their albums they're always $20+. I'll try to listen to some of these groups.

*Actually, I used to have this one a long time ago, but I never got into it and I let it go. I might like it a lot nowadays.

49435.jpg

i think a lot of Nick's work is sadly out of print, but you might be able to score cheapish copies via Amazon or ebay. i would highly recommend these:

Any Gas Faster (which is what Ear Song is from)

Son Of Walter

New River Head

he played here last year in a pretty rare appearance, a celebratory show for a friend of mine who's had a long-running DJ slot at the MIT radio station. here's a vid (~1 min of banter before the song starts)

i think a lot of Nick's work is sadly out of print, but you might be able to score cheapish copies via Amazon or ebay. i would highly recommend these:

Any Gas Faster (which is what Ear Song is from)

Son Of Walter

New River Head

Cool, thanks for the info.

Merry Clayton on Gimme Shelter. When her voice cracks on "Murder" it kills me every time.

Larry Carlton guitar solo on Kid Charlemagne

Roy Harper on Have a Cigar

Tom Waits on Tommy the Cat

Tom Waits on Tommy the Cat

Say baby doyawannalaydownwithme? Say baby doyawannalaydownbyMYside?

SAY BABY!!!

:rock

EDIT:

I cannot believe that nobody has yet mentioned Eric Clapton's solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

EDIT:

I cannot believe that nobody has yet mentioned Eric Clapton's solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

I was thinking about that one from the start, but when taking Harrison's beautiful solo on Something into consideration, I think While My Guitar... would have been just as good if they kept the solo duties in-house.

I'll add another one:

Talking Heads: Once in a Lifetime, with Eno on backing vocals.

Or any of Bernie Worrell's keys, or Adrian Belew's guitar on some of those other records.

Billy Preston on the "Let It Be" record.