kidsmoke

Let's Talk About Tribute 3!

I FINALLY had a chance to listen to the whole disc, and it's friggin' awesome... Don't have much else to say yet, but will soon. Thanks to Donna and all of my fellow contributors. The disc will be spinning non-stop for most of my Sunday.

P.S. How many downloads so far, anyway to tell?

Ya, i had no idea what to expect from everybody, but i was very impressed with everyone's creative takes on these songs. And the recordings themselves were also excellent. And once again, thanks Donna for all your hard work putting this together, its been a great experience being a part of this tribute

I think it's a really solid disc. I was interested to see what other, non-Wilco influences people would bring into their songs and it really makes for some awesome listening to hear some other perspectives on this group of songs. I showed the disc to my band the day after I got it and they were all very impressed and stoked to be part of such a cool compilation.

The overall production is very impressive - both the mastering and the artwork really make it a nice package. I really enjoy all the individual recordings too. I would be interested to hear how some of the other artists went about their recording and production process - what mics, digital tools, etc...

The recording for Spiders was pretty basic. The Guitars were done in my backyard with an SM57, and the Vocals also outside with an AT2020. The reason i did them outisde is the acoustics indoors are pretty horrific in my house, plus theres always people and noise around. The piano was my Boston Grand captured through the AT2020 and then run through my Memory Man, before some more reverb/delay was added in Logic to give it the kind of underwater, muffled sound. Logic was the DAW of choice for this particular recording. It should also be noted that most of the sound samples in the intro were taken from CONET recordings, and I added a few processed piano recordings to beef it up towards the end.

What kind of process did you guys go through? It seems like everyone had a pretty unique sound on their recording, so i'm actually really interested to hear from others.

I am truly humbled by the level of musicianship and overall effort the other contributors made to this tribute CD. Everyone did such a great job and some of the production really exceeded my expectations.

I would be interested to hear how some of the other artists went about their recording and production process - what mics, digital tools, etc...

As for the recording process, mine was very simple. I was going for a spartan, less-is-more feel (perhaps too much; especially compared with the others. Mine kinda sticks out as underdone). I played my Martin 000-28H and recorded it with a Shure mic (not sure what kind - it is kinda old) in my home office. I used an M-Audio MobilePre USB interface. Using same mic-to-interface, I overdubbed vocals, banjo (Goldtone CC 100R Plus) and harmonica (heap musiciansfriend.com special). Recorded/Mixed everything with audacity software using a few plugin effects. That's it!

As I said, I am really impressed with the production values of the other contributers. Many of you really seemed to embrace the 'noise' vibe of Wilco, but made it your own. Really impressed. Again, I feel very humble to be a part.

Thanks again, Donna et. al. for putting it all together. A lot of fun.

I FINALLY had a chance to listen to the whole disc, and it's friggin' awesome... Don't have much else to say yet, but will soon. Thanks to Donna and all of my fellow contributors. The disc will be spinning non-stop for most of my Sunday.

P.S. How many downloads so far, anyway to tell?

Sorry Jim, we didn't set anything up to record the number of downloads, but I can tell you that there have been around 200 unique visitors to the site, so there's been plenty of interest. How has the response been to your facebook post?

Anthony, I think the spare, spartan approach you took to "Hell is Chrome" works magnificently with that song. Gives it a subtle, vague, threatening chill. I enjoyed placing your song where it is, contrasting against the songs on either side of it. Haunting, that one. :thumbup

I'm so glad to hear that others are finding this disc as fascinating as I do!

This disc sounds great. it truly is remarkable to hear the different takes on songs; i've heard wilco do them so many times it's refreshing to hear a new perspective. You can tell everyone brings their own personality to their recording.

i wanted to do a hip hop version of Ashes but since i actually have no experience with hip hop, i ended up creating some kind of hybrid. My process was the same for how i usually record: i played sort of a guide track on my acoustic so i would know where the sections of the song lie then worked from there. You don't hear a single note of that track on the finished product. A Shure SM57 was the only mic used; it was used to record vocals, Yamaha acoustic guitar, Hohner student melodica, and Gretsch lap steel. The melodica is the reedy instrument that's featured in the second verse & chorus. i used the lap steel solely for feedback. i reversed the sound of the feedback and that is the intro. The organ, drums, and bass were VSTi. Oh, and i recorded everything in Cubase.

i highly recommend getting a melodica. They are a lot of fun and fairly cheap. You can get in a surprisingly diverse set of sounds out of them if played creatively.

i feel honored to be a part of this. Everyone did such a great job! The artwork is great. Thanks for your hard work and patience, Donna!

A couple of trips through this so far, and I agree that it is impressive and well done.

This thread is awfully polite for VC, though. So...

I enjoyed the songs more that moved away from the originals or the Jeff solo versions thereof. Of the Wilco songs that I don't really care for by Wilco, there are no versions on this that make me like them any better (You and I, I Thought I Held You, Everlasting are still meh to me). Those are also the ones that sound more similar to the originals as well.

Muzzle of Bees and Wishful Thinking are the two I liked the best. Different enough to be interesting, and well done on their own.

One thing that someone mentioned was about how each performer / band would add their own influence or style to familiar songs. I can't really tell what that is, because I don't know any of their other stuff and so I don't know what their own style really is. Not sure what to do with that point, but thought I'd throw it out there for those of us who might be experiencing the same thing. As an example, I have no idea if Anthonyc007 normally uses a banjo or if that's unique for him. Kind of a one-sided experience in that sense; different than when you hear someone you know (Beck / Flaming Lips) cover something you know (VU / DSOTM).

Lastly, I'm a little surprised that no one went more down the country / bluegrass path with anything. I thought someone would throw a lot more twang into something.

Again, a great record and really well put together. Thanks to everyone who had something to do with it, and especially Donna for putting it all together.

So after a week with this, I'll admit to liking it more each listen... Definitely getting "behind" each contributors vision. It's been in the car CD player now non-stop since Sunday. (Although I pulled it out today for the new Autumn Defense disc; we're catching them in Boston Thursday, and I want to know the material).

Donna, the FB post brought a bit of attention, but not tons of plays. Still time, I guess.

To the production notes, you guys all have me beat. I can't record a thing to save my live, and so we went into Zing Studios in Westfield MA to do our track. I have a long history with them, and although the engineer was one I hadn't worked with before (Eric Arena) he did a great job (ten hour marathon with donuts and Paddy's Irish Whiskey for sustenance). In typical Merrick Section fashion, we were terribly unprepared for the session, and we were without a bass player. Tom Doherty played all guitars and bass (his first recorded bass tracks ever) and sang. I pretty much just drummed on this one. "Misunderstood" was Tom's choice for Wilco tune, and it was his general vibe we went for.. I knew the original much better, so threw the arrangement together, making sure to include Ken Coomer's snare cue before the solo (almost did the stick click, but opted against it). The mix was done by Jim Fogarty, who engineered/produced our CD (as well as three other projects I've done over the years. I SO thank them... the budget for this recording was embarrasingly low, and I truly expected them to say they couldn't do it, but they obviously came through for us, and went WAY beyond the call of duty. If any of you guys are in the Northeast and need a studio, call them!!

Anyway, that's our story. I may drop a personal message to some of you soon, just cuz I'm a fan!

A couple of trips through this so far, and I agree that it is impressive and well done.

This thread is awfully polite for VC, though. So...

I enjoyed the songs more that moved away from the originals or the Jeff solo versions thereof. Of the Wilco songs that I don't really care for by Wilco, there are no versions on this that make me like them any better (You and I, I Thought I Held You, Everlasting are still meh to me). Those are also the ones that sound more similar to the originals as well.

Muzzle of Bees and Wishful Thinking are the two I liked the best. Different enough to be interesting, and well done on their own.

One thing that someone mentioned was about how each performer / band would add their own influence or style to familiar songs. I can't really tell what that is, because I don't know any of their other stuff and so I don't know what their own style really is. Not sure what to do with that point, but thought I'd throw it out there for those of us who might be experiencing the same thing. As an example, I have no idea if Anthonyc007 normally uses a banjo or if that's unique for him. Kind of a one-sided experience in that sense; different than when you hear someone you know (Beck / Flaming Lips) cover something you know (VU / DSOTM).

Lastly, I'm a little surprised that no one went more down the country / bluegrass path with anything. I thought someone would throw a lot more twang into something.

Again, a great record and really well put together. Thanks to everyone who had something to do with it, and especially Donna for putting it all together.

Thank you! Had fun doing it.

Muzzle of Bees and Wishful Thinking are the two I liked the best.

Appreciate that.

My setup for those interested, was pretty bare-bones for this one. I recorded everything through an SM-58 and my Boss BR-8 acting as a an input to Garageband of all programs. Acoustic guitar/electric guitar were clean with a little reverb, vocals were double tracked with some reverb. The noisier parts were a combination of ebow and delay pedal tweaking and some editing. All pretty straightforward for what I usually do. My goal was basically to take the song from a full band approach and reduce it down to how I might have written it for myself.

I just got a rave review from a friend I sent the cd to...he asked, "Did you hold a contest for bands to be considered? Did you hand select this stuff?"

The amazing thing is that no, I didn't have to "consider" anyone, or hand-select...every song that came in was so powerful, and as I said in my cover letter to the band, in the package of cd's I sent them, "The songs within were performed with all the hearts full of soul that Wilco's music inspires". I feel proud to have been able to present them with this tribute! :)

Just wanted to say that I've had a chance to listen to Tribute 3 about 4 or 5 times now and am really impressed by the musicianship and creative interpretations. I was blown away by "Misunderstood" which is by far my favorite. Amazing vocals! Donna, great choice for the opening track! I'm also really enjoying "I Thought I Held You" and "You Are My Face" and my husband quite likes "Ashes."

I enjoyed the songs more that moved away from the originals or the Jeff solo versions thereof. Of the Wilco songs that I don't really care for by Wilco, there are no versions on this that make me like them any better (You and I, I Thought I Held You, Everlasting are still meh to me).

This is an interesting comment. "You And I" is one of my least favorite Wilco songs, however, I think the VC 3 version is exponentially better than the original!

Thank you, everyone, who worked on this tribute. Congratulations.

Listening to You Are My Face Right now .... its very very well done

Some cool news... our cover of Misunderstood is getting some airplay this morning on WRNX (FM 100.9) the leading AAA station in the Western MA area! Tune in if you can, or stream it www.wrnx.com It'll be on sometime between 11 and 12 Eastern.

Some cool news... our cover of Misunderstood is getting some airplay this morning on WRNX (FM 100.9) the leading AAA station in the Western MA area! Tune in if you can, or stream it www.wrnx.com It'll be on sometime between 11 and 12 Eastern.

Very awesome!

My dearest contributors group for Tribute 3:

I just wanted to let you all know that I've heard from Susan Tweedy. She thanks us for the "amazing package" of cd's, but they haven't had time yet to listen. She said, "Can't wait". She has been kind enough to personally take on the task of distributing the Tribute cd's to all the people they were going to, such as webmaster Ken Waagner, manager Tony Margherita, and of course all the members of Wilco.

You and I both know they are all going to love it! :wub

Hello Trib 3 Contributors! :) It looks like the Tweedys got a bit of time over the holidays to slow down a bit, and had time to give our Tribute cd a good listen!

I got this message today from Sue Tweedy and told her I would share it with all of you:

Hi Donna,

Jeff told me to tell you he really likes the cd and everybody did a great job. And thanks!

xxoo

Isn't it great to think of Jeff listening and humming along with his own songs...as done by YOU?!! :cheers

I just listened to #3 for the first time in while. It is really good (I am the only weak link). For those who haven't heard it (VC noobs?) or haven't heard in a while, I recommend it.

Hard to say what my favorite tune is; prolly Misunderstood or Spiders. But I also loved the unique take on Wishful Thinking. Good job guys.

Donna: When is #4? 

Where can I hear this?

We used to have these files hosted but that has lapsed. I'll be glad to burn you a copy if you can hold on until after Solid Sound is past...I'm busy now trying to get packed & such. It will be well worth the wait. The contributors did a bang-up job! There are also Volumes One and Two, which are equally good. Give me a bit of time and I'll burn all 3 for your listening pleasure. You'll be impressed at the talent displayed...we have some wonderful musicians on the board.

Please drop me a pm around the end of this month to remind me, ok?

We used to have these files hosted but that has lapsed. I'll be glad to burn you a copy if you can hold on until after Solid Sound is past...I'm busy now trying to get packed & such. It will be well worth the wait. The contributors did a bang-up job! There are also Volumes One and Two, which are equally good. Give me a bit of time and I'll burn all 3 for your listening pleasure. You'll be impressed at the talent displayed...we have some wonderful musicians on the board.

Please drop me a pm around the end of this month to remind me, ok?

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Any chance of them being made available for download? I'm sure I'm not the only one outside of the US/Europe (and who isn't going to able to make it to SS) who'd like to hear them.