Bands that have opened for Wilco

Something got my mind going on this topic the other day and it's staggering to think of all of the notable bands/artists that have opened for Wilco over the years. To get the ball rolling: My Morning Jacket, Sonic Youth, Sleater Kinney, The Flaming Lips, The Roots, Dr. Dog, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, Yo La Tengo, Tortoise.

What others do you recall?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: There are some holes in openers, so maybe if I list them by date some people may be able to fill in the gaps. It's bugging the shit out of me. If there was actually no opener, then that's something that I would like to know. :stunned I won't list the Evening With shows that I saw in Boston & Concord for obvious reasons.

Mission Of Burma (Boston Bank Of America Pavillion June 2003. Filling in for Sonic Youth)

(Portland, Maine August 2004 State Theater)

The Fiery Furnaces (Wang Center, Shapiro Gym at Brandeis University, Calvin Theater October 2004. Was it really 3 nights in a row with them?)

My Morning Jacket (Agganis Arena At Boston University June 2005)

(Portland, Maine April 2006 Merrill Auditorium)

OK GO, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists (Meehan Auditorium At Brown University April 2006/Annual Spring Weekend Concert)

(Pines Theater Florence/Northampton, MA July 2006)

Detholtz (Auditorium Theater Chicago November 2006)

Califone (Auditorium Theater Chicago November 2006)

Low (Pines Theater June 2007)

(Bank Of America Pavillion June 2007)

Andrew Bird (Tanglewood Lenox, MA August 2008)

Everest (DCU Center Worcester, MA December 2008 Opening for Neil Young)

Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band (Lowell, MA LeLacheur Park July 2009)

Grizzly Bear in Arizona June 2009. I wasn't there, but I remember a friend of mine wishing that they had opened up in Lowell too.

when did SY open for Wilco?

Sonic Youth opened for Wilco in June of 2003. Although, I think they only did a few shows together before Sonic Youth had to cancel due to a family issue. Mission Of Burma stepped in last minute at that Boston 2003 show.

I saw two of the Somic Youth/Wilco shows in Cleveland and in Central Park in NYC. I remember thinking that it was sort of a passing of the guard kind of moment.

Liam Finn (son of Neil) opened for the band on the Australian leg of the Aust/NZ tour at the start of this year. Hes also opened for them in the US before that.

Justin Townes Earle (they seemed to have a bit of a famous musicians very talented kid thing going on) opened in NZ.

Miriam Clancy (very very average NZ artist) opened for the band when they came to NZ in 2008.

Heartless Bastards

Man, that sounds like a perfect double bill. Love that band.

Probably the best opener for Wilco that I've seen is the aforementioned Dr. Dog.

Side question: Does anybody remember who opened for Wilco at Milwaukee's Eagles Ballroom on August 2, 2004? I was there with a few friends, and recently it came up in conversation... none of us could recall who opened.

Man, that sounds like a perfect double bill. Love that band.

Probably the best opener for Wilco that I've seen is the aforementioned Dr. Dog.

Side question: Does anybody remember who opened for Wilco at Milwaukee's Eagles Ballroom on August 2, 2004? I was there with a few friends, and recently it came up in conversation... none of us could recall who opened.

Was it Nora O'Connor?

Sonic Youth opened for Wilco in June of 2003. Although, I think they only did a few shows together before Sonic Youth had to cancel due to a family issue. Mission Of Burma stepped in last minute at that Boston 2003 show.

damn! either i was already living in Dublin by then, or i was napping and totally missed out. where was it, at Harborlights?

Cerberus Shoal opened. I don't know why I remember that. (Maybe because they were so terrible?)

i like that band.