Bands that have opened for Wilco

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carla Bozulich (with Nels) opened a show in San Jose that I had tickets for but couldn't attend

Perhaps the most fateful Wilco opener ever?

I saw them open for Wilco in Iowa. Then I saw them a week later in a club in Atlanta. That was a cool band.

Of course the Jayhawks shared a bunch of bills with Wilco in the late 90's. And I think Chicago's Frisbie also opened some shows back then.

Neil Michael Hagerty opened some East Coast shows in the spring of 2002. Oranger opened one of my favorite shows ever, the January '03 one-off at the Great American Music Hall in San Francisco.

A couple of more recent European openers were the Sunday Drivers (in Spain a couple of years ago, I think) and the Latebirds (a couple of shows in Holland last year). And of course, the support acts on this most recent European jaunt were Phil Selway, Hanne Hukkelberg and John Grant.

Other notables I haven't seen mentioned yet are Neko Case, who opened at least one show I saw in Montreal (I think it was part of Jazz Fest in '03, possibly); Richard Swift, who opened several shows on a West Coast tour a few years ago; and the Handsome Family, who opened a show I saw a while back in Albuquerque (their home turf).

Off the top of my head... :thumbup

Did Black Eyed Snakes open at some point too?

Yeah, in Duluth, MN (natch) at least once.

I think my favorite opening band so far has been the Roots, mostly because it's not a band I would really ever get the chance to see otherwise.

That reminded me that back at a show at Yale U. in '03 (I believe), the Nappy Roots also opened up. You often get some really weird pairings at those "spring fling"-type shows that colleges often have in April/May.

Hmmm The Latebirds... Finland's greatest wilco impersonators, I'd (thankfully forgotten) their name. They went on so long and were sooooooo dull.

Carla Bozulich opened for our first three Wilco shows in Paris, Ghent and Amsterdam in 2007 - joined by Nels and Glenn at points in her set. She never seemed a particularly happy bunny...

Now I think of it, most of the shows we've seen have been support - less. I can only think of Blitzen Trapper (Dublin Aug 09), a local solo singer who's name (and songs) escape me in Dublin 2007, Phil Selway on the last UK tour and Hannah Hukkleberg / John Grant in Germany - all Sept 2010.

Probably the weirdest band I have seen open for Wilco is Dethloz! Who opened a show in Madison on 11/22/10. They are vaguely Santanic

Most typos ever in a two-line post? :P

I assume you mean in 2001 since the date you posted hasn't happened yet. And Detholz! are definitely entertaining, but hardly Satanic...

Now I think of it, most of the shows we've seen have been support - less. I can only think of Blitzen Trapper (Dublin Aug 09), a local solo singer who's name (and songs) escape me in Dublin 2007, Phil Selway on the last UK tour and Hannah Hukkleberg / John Grant in Germany - all Sept 2010.

My records indicate that local guy in Dublin in '07 was called Ollie Cole (I agree that he unfortunately was pretty forgettable). And unless I'm mistaken, another singer-songwriter guy called Ruarri Joseph opened at least one show in London a few years back.

And in addition to the Sunday Drivers in Spain in '07, I had forgotten that another English-singing Spanish band called Smile also supported on that run.

Most typos ever in two-line post? :P

I assume you mean in 2001 since the date you posted hasn't happened yet. And Detholz! are definitely entertaining, but hardly Satanic...

I have a time machine.

No actually it was 11/22/06.

A hit of Satan if what I got from them. Of course I was all hopped up on cold medicine at the time.

Now I'm having fun going down memory lane...:pirate

Just a few more openers that I unearthed from my records in 2005:

*Healthy White Baby (Danny Black/Laurie Stirratt/etc....I miss those guys!)

*Polar Goldie Cats (featuring the esteemed Bobb Bruno)

*The Court and Spark

I believe The Clientele have also opened a few shows more recently, yes?

*Healthy White Baby (Danny Black/Laurie Stirratt/etc....I miss those guys!)

I think they opened for Wilco in New Orleans that spring, correct?

The worst opener was that band from either Australia or NZ that played the STL show in 2006 I think. God they were AWFUL. 3 pieces of imperfect noise.

I think they opened for Wilco in New Orleans that spring, correct?

The worst opener was that band from either Australia or NZ that played the STL show in 2006 I think. God they were AWFUL. 3 pieces of imperfect noise.

Re: Healthy White Baby, you are correct! That was a fun time. :thumbup

And I'm not sure if the Aussie/NZ act you're referring to was The Mess Hall, but they opened a few shows at some point. I thought they were just a two-man outfit (guitar and drums), but perhaps they also had a bass player with them.