Bands that have opened for Wilco

Maybe he really did mean Santanic, as in , "like Santana."

I haven't enjoyed any of the openers I've seen, except for Mavis this August, and Ben Kweller (opened for Jeff in 2001). At first I thought, "who is this ugly guy with bad hair and skinny jeans, looks like he's from Long Island, doing Vanilla Ice... this is terrible." By song 2 or 3, I was hooked, and went to every show he played in NYC that year.

-Rob

Most typos ever in two-line post? :P

I assume you mean in 2001 since the date you posted hasn't happened yet. And Detholz! are definitely entertaining, but hardly Satanic...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw two of the Somic Youth/Wilco shows in Cleveland and in Central Park in NYC. I remember thinking that it was sort of a passing of the guard kind of moment.

There was also the 2003 Soundstage episode which featured Somic Youth and Wilco--don't know if they were both filmed on the same night, though.

There was also the 2003 Soundstage episode which featured Somic Youth and Wilco--don't know if they were both filmed on the same night, though.

Yeah, they were. Jim O'Rourke joined Wilco for a few songs; I can't remember if they aired.

smog opened one of the Auditorium shows in Chicago - I can't remember which year.

Re: Healthy White Baby, you are correct! That was a fun time. :thumbup

And I'm not sure if the Aussie/NZ act you're referring to was The Mess Hall, but they opened a few shows at some point. I thought they were just a two-man outfit (guitar and drums), but perhaps they also had a bass player with them.

That was the show I fell in love with the band :wub

(in the key of C)

And bingo on The Mess Hall. I still remember that I needed to plug my ears due to the sound level and the lack of actual music. Those were the guys that took pics of themselves next to the show poster outside the theatre :lol

the Drones as in the Australian band?

i like them a lot.

yep, them. some guy in the audience yelled out that quote between their songs. the singer ask "what was that?", and he replied "you heard me". personally i couldnt stand them on stage... although some of their studio stuff is ok

Fruit Bats @ Ottos in 2003, I was not there but that's what I recall.

Not saying you're incorrect about the FBs, but I also seem to remember Aluminum Group opening at Otto's one time or another. Right?

Another support act that I can't believe I forgot earlier was Elliott Brood, who opened a few Canadian dates back in the summer of '06. Those guys were one of my favorite openers--super nice guys. :cheers

Here's a few more random openers culled from my archive of notebooks...

*Martha Wainwright (two shows in the UK in March '05)

*Phonograph (Tallahassee, FL - 3/14/06)

*Big City (Zaragoza, Spain - 3/18/05)

*Blueberry Hill (Barcelona, Spain - 3/20/05)

And hey Preferred B, remember Bridezilla (Sydney, Australia - 3/18/08)? :thumbup

John Doe opened for them in Des Moines in March, 2008. Great opening act. Played some stuff by X, grabbed the room with "A Little More Time." Brought Nels out for the finale which was a "Gimme Shelter." My first thought was that it was silly to close with a Stones cover but it totally blew the roof off the joint and got the crowd properly lubed up for the main act (who didn't disappoint either).

I just found a reference to an opening band called "The Boxed Set" in an old journal at the 3 Rivers Arts Festival show in Pittsburgh in June, 2003. I have no recollections of them.

I think that was Boxstep.

I guess they were so forgettable that I incorrectly named them in my journal.

Deerhoof

Low (man were they terrible though)

Low were terrible, which was a shame. Deerhoof was terrible also, also a shame.

My vote for the best two opening acts...Andrew Bird and Califone.

Great opening act that sounded horrible due to bad sound...Nora O'Connor at the Rave.

Loudest opener ever...Rosehill Drive in Ashville.

LouieB

I guess they were so forgettable that I incorrectly named them in my journal.

They had a couple of guest musicians that night, and one of them was using a little red "Going to Grandma's" suitcase to hold her gear. I had that same suitcase as a little kid, and I used to keep doll clothes in it. Couldn't tell you anything about their music!

The Autumn Defense opened for Wilco at a show in 2006. The Pines, maybe? I wasn't there, but I heard about it. They were coming back from Canada and the real opening band was delayed at the border or something.

Smog (Chicago Auditorium; 9/20/03) is another addition. I actually saw them earlier that summer in a tiny defunct club in Charlottesville, VA called Tokyo Rose. They looked swallowed up at the Auditorium.

Favorite opening group was Preston School of Industry; least favorite was Neil Micheal Hagerty-that was about fifty minutes of my life that I'll never get back

I enjoyed Mission of Burma, but I remember that show being louder than most shows I've seen. I was somewhat sorry I missed Sonic Youth, but I did see them open for Pearl Jam a few years earlier.