The 8 Month Old "New" Fall TV Season 2010-2011

I really wanted to start this thread a little while ago. Maybe 2 weeks ago, but I think now the time is right. Anyways, I will start out by listing what I have watched and a little bit about what I think about them.

This has been a very odd tv season so far. Certain shows are trying to be replaced and other new shows are falling by the wayside. Some have extremely poor ratings, but haven't even been cancelled yet.

Ok. Here I go...New shows first...

Monday: The Event (NBC) - The biggest problem that I have with this show is that it is being advertised everywhere as "If Lost & 24 had a baby then this would be it." This is exactly the problem. This show has no personality of its own. First off, it has done a pretty poor job of building character by focusing too much on the big mysteries that they expect will get people to tune in. I don't mind it when shows or films drop us in the middle of the action, but this feels like nothing because you don't feel anything for these people.

And the big reveal isn't that different. They're actually doing something similar (and better) on a tv show that was rebooted last spring and won't return until January.

And lastly I don't like how they are treating their audience like a bunch of dummies. They are constantly showing us the time (in months and years) for every jump in time within each episode. Do they really think that people can't follow a show if a character is at one point at a dinner with his yet-to-be kidnapped girlfriend and in the next trying to find her? It's quite ridiculous and recalls 24 keeping a countdown.

I've tried to keep up with this show, but it is quite a chore to watch it. The overall ideas and themes that they are doing in that other show that I am not going to refer to by name, so I won't spoil the twist for anybody, is actually more interesting and modern to me.

Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) - Now this is a purely fun show that is entertaining to watch and doesn't demand to be seen every week. Alex O'Loughlin and Scott Caan have great chemistry that hasn't been seen in a long time (at least by me) in terms of 2 male lead characters. Yes, nobody really asked for a remake of this old show. The action and fight choreography on this show is quite nice to watch. And they have already done a nice job of focusing on character and letting them push the plot forward instead of the other way around.

Tuesday: Running Wilde (FOX)- Ah, Mitchell Hurwitz of Arrested Development fame is back with Will Arnett and David Cross. The pilot episode was one of the sloppiest and most uneven half hour comedy shows that I've ever seen. It just wasn't funny. It tried too hard to fit everything into one episode to get it onto the air, so that one story arc already folded up. I think that Hurwitz' success should be partially based on the writers and amazing cast of Arrested Development. Arnett and Cross both feel misused here. And Kerri Russell seems even more out of place. Admittedly the last couple of episodes have gotten better, but I thought that it had been cancelled. It turns out that it was on a hiatus because of the MLB playoffs.

I wasn't looking for an Arrested Development 2 (there are some self referential jokes here and there), but what we have is a very forced concept with people who are much better suited to be support players. Although, I will contradict this statement when I get to Friday night.

Wednesday: Undercovers (NBC) - J.J. Abrams' new show that is quite good. Yes, people seem to hear about this because it has his name over it and it has 2 black leads. In the words of Fred Armisen's Joy Behar "So what? Who cares?!". This seems to be a shout out to the old show Hart To Hart. Even the theme music seems very 80s. This has been a self contained episode type of show that has them going all over the world to kick ass and look sexy. The 2 leads (Boris Kodjoe & Gugu Mbatha Raw :yes) have quite amazing chemistry as a married couple.

There doesn't seem to be a big mythology at play like in Abrams' Lost, Fringe and Alias. This should help it, but this also falls under the "casually" watch it category.

Thursday: Outsourced (NBC) - I have no idea why NBC decided to bench Parks & Recreation, but I bet it had to do with shooting around Amy Pohler's pregnancy. Sadly, we end up with this offensive piece of tv that caters to nobody. In the first couple of episodes this has offended both Americans and Indians. I'll give this show a little bit of credit though: they began to focus on each Indian character and give them something more to do than just act "foreign". It's ok. It is only memorable for me in one instance where they brought up "Indian Headshakes". My best friend is Indian (and FIlipino) and when he gets together with his Indian friend from India, they begin to shake their heads every which way. It's like a bobble head. To see this addressed in the 2nd episode was quite shocking and funny.

Friday: The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret (IFC) - :worship Wow! This show is amazing! It's too bad that it is only 6 episodes. Maybe that's what is so great about it. There is no need to drag things out for no real reason, other than to fulfill a 22 episode order.

David Cross is simply amazing as Todd Margaret. In fact, it's odd that the character from Outsourced is also named Todd and is in a similar situation of being out of America taking a new job in a supervisory role. Will Arnett is pretty much let loose here and he has some amazing lines of dialog and laugh out loud moments. Cross created this show and I guess it shows in the type of comedic humor of being a fish out of water.

It's also amazing how great this show is compared to Running Wilde. Now I don't like to compare shows or anything in the art realm, but you have to wonder how Running Wilde isn't that great with similar people involved. Todd Margaret is a better concept and more importantly it is executed much, much better. I haven't laughed this much in a long time. A nice mix of sharp dialog and sight gags. Oh, and you'll notice Spike Jonze in a bit role too.

Q: Did anyone out there catch any of the 2 episodes of Lone Star?

"Boardwalk Empire" just keeps getting better.

The only other new thing I'm watching is "Terriers" on FX, which is the latest Donal Logue vehicle. It's set in Ocean Beach, San Diego, and it's pretty entertaining so far (though I'm currently a couple of episodes behind -- need to catch up via On Demand).

Of the new shows, here's what I've been watching:

The Event - I don't find it nearly as intriguing as "Lost" or even the short-lived "FlashForward," but it has just enough going for it to keep me watching. As for the 24 comparison, I gave up on that series halfway through season 2 so I hope this one keeps me interested longer than that one did. I don't agree with the comment about them treating the viewers as dummies because they tell you the month and year of the flashback. Their jumps have gone from weeks to 50+years so listing the time makes sense from a storytelling/cohesion viewpoint.

Hawaii Five-O - This one has been decent enough as far as action shows go. Though I must say I find the lead Alex O'Loughlin to be terribly wooden. The rest of the cast isn't too bad so they make up for things somewhat.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret - David Cross sure seems to like playing totally clueless characters that make you cringe at their ineptness. I'm still not sure what to make of this show but it has had its funny moments and has kept me watching, despite the fact that I find that English co-worker/assistant of his annoying as all get out (I know he's there to facilitate Todd getting into these bad situations, but the guy is so douche-y you want to smack him.)

The Walking Dead - Probably the least original of the current AMC shows but it shows promise.

I saw a bit of "Undercovers" for the first time yesterday. It wasn't too bad, and the lead actress in that is incredibly stunning to say the least. I've also been watching "Running Wilde," though I find it very hit-and-miss. I've watched the first 2 episodes of "Terriers" and that ones been okay so far. The girlfriend has been recording "Raising Hope" so I've been watching that one too. I don't love it, but it's slowly growing on me.

"Boardwalk Empire" just keeps getting better.

I almost mentioned Boardwalk Empire, but I only watched the pilot episode way back in September. I fucking loved it, but I'm using the 3 month window on On Demand as a buffer to wait and watch them.

For some reason the network shows only last a couple of weeks on On Demand. I can't complain. It helps out my DVR by not recording shows except for those on FOX and ABC.

Of the new shows, here's what I've been watching:

The Event - I don't find it nearly as intriguing as "Lost" or even the short-lived "FlashForward," but it has just enough going for it to keep me watching. As for the 24 comparison, I gave up on that series halfway through season 2 so I hope this one keeps me interested longer than that one did. I don't agree with the comment about them treating the viewers as dummies because they tell you the month and year of the flashback. Their jumps have gone from weeks to 50+years so listing the time makes sense from a storytelling point.

Yeah, but to constantly show that for every jump back and forth and in every episode seems annoying. I honestly think the reason that they use it so much is to make it look like 24. Once I see a character in two different places in time, I will know that for the rest of the episode. Especially when it deals with a guy's girlfriend who is kidnapped in the present and being introduced to her parents in the past.

That woman is beautiful that met Jason Ritter and Sarah Roehmer on the beach. I kind of figured that she would turn out this way. That's a bad sign when I can't remember tv character names.

FlashForward took very liberally from Lost's pilot episode playbook, but they hit so many strides in storytelling after that. It's definitely worth a watch for folks who haven't seen it. It was a lot more compelling and original than The Event is right now.

Dollhouse is another show that was extremely fresh and exciting. Both of those shows made me want to tune in every week. This year nothing really has that effect on me.

Closing thoughts on The Event: I honestly think that it appeals more to people who haven't seen Lost or 24, as if this is their own version of those 2 shows wrapped up in one package. I find this show to be polarizing to fans of the shows mentioned.

I saw a bit of "Undercovers" for the first time yesterday. It wasn't too bad, and the lead actress in that is incredibly stunning to say the least. I've also been watching "Running Wilde," though I find it very hit-and-miss.

I am gaga over Gugu too.

Running Wilde has sadly been mostly miss.

Guest Speed Racer

The girlfriend has been recording "Raising Hope" so I've been watching that one too. I don't love it, but it's slowly growing on me.

I love Martha Plimpton, so I keep giving this one a chance. A little too goofy for me, but she's hilarious.

This thread reminds me that I never tried out "Rubicon" after it premiered on AMC immediately following the Breaking Bad finale... I just checked out the AMC site and they're on episode 13 now (???).

Did anyone try it out? Seemed to be a reasonably interesting premise, even if the first episode itself was a little plodding. (of course, I was likely still in shock from BB finale for the first 20 mins or so).

I really liked "The walking Dead", the new zombie show on AMC. Premier was on Halloween night.

I liked it. I'll be a loyal viewer since they filmed a bunch of scenes right next to where I work in downtown Atlanta. The tank/zombie attack scene, in the first episode, for instance.

I love Martha Plimpton, so I keep giving this one a chance. A little too goofy for me, but she's hilarious.

I'm a Martha fan too, she's definitely the best part of the show and the only thing keeping me watching really. Having said that, it's not a show that I would be terribly sad over if they canned it.

This thread reminds me that I never tried out "Rubicon" after it premiered on AMC immediately following the Breaking Bad finale... I just checked out the AMC site and they're on episode 13 now (???).

Did anyone try it out? Seemed to be a reasonably interesting premise, even if the first episode itself was a little plodding. (of course, I was likely still in shock from BB finale for the first 20 mins or so).

I watched Rubicon and loved it. It sort of has a "3 Days of the Condor" vibe, lots of intrigue and paranoia.

Season 1 has wrapped ih8music, I believe it was 13 episodes in total.

I am gaga over Gugu too.

She is one of the most beautiful women on TV (or anywhere else for that matter.) I must admit that seeing her in the trailers--and the J.J. Abrams connection--were the two strongest reasons for me finally getting around to checking this show out. I will definitely be watching more of this show :yes.

Yeah, but to constantly show that for every jump back and forth and in every episode

Okay, I see what you're getting at. Yeah, once they've established the time frame during the first flashback of an episode, no point repeating it unless the time frame has actually changed.

p.s. I downloaded a few episodes of Boardwalk Empire a few months back, really should get around to watching that.

I liked it. I'll be a loyal viewer since they filmed a bunch of scenes right next to where I work in downtown Atlanta. The tank/zombie attack scene, in the first episode, for instance.

I wondered where that was filmed! I don't pretend it's been very original. Certainly guy gets hurt, goes to hospital, wakes up to a totally screwed up zombie world is not new. But really they could re-make that 100 times and I will still watch. I love the post-apocolypse stuff.

She is one of the most beautiful women on TV (or anywhere else for that matter.) I must admit that seeing her in the trailers--and the J.J. Abrams connection--were the two strongest reasons for me finally getting around to checking this show out. I will definitely be watching more of this show :yes.

You must have watched last night's episode, right? So you haven't seen the pilot where she drops her dress and has the most amazing underwear on and body to boot (i called it the "we're definitely getting a full episode order" shot)? I gave my DVR a workout that night. :stunned Relax, it was only the DVR that got a work out that night.

I want to bring Gugu to a Wilco concert. :thumbup

Edit: None of the Google Images do her justice, so I will post an interview with her to show her. It turns out that she's British. I did not know that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbRz3MHM6rw

Wish I had HBO so I could be watching Boardwalk Empire and East Bound & Down.

The 1st episode of Eastbound & Down was very jarring to me. It felt like a completely different show because the story now takes place in Mexico. Obviously Kenny Powers is still Kenny Powers, but now he's surrounded by different supporting characters. I think that at some point some of the old cast comes back. It was so jarring that I am going to rewatch episode 1 again and then continue.

Speaking of beautiful women on tv, Ana de le Reguera is amazing on Eastbound & Down. She played the nun in Nacho Libre.

I watched Rubicon and loved it. It sort of has a "3 Days of the Condor" vibe, lots of intrigue and paranoia.

Season 1 has wrapped ih8music, I believe it was 13 episodes in total.

I was a fan of Rubicon right up to the finale. Hated the finale.

Cool, thanks guys... I'll have to track it down and catch up. Finale disappointment notwithstanding, WL.

I was a fan of Rubicon right up to the finale. Hated the finale.

I was pretty disappointed with the finale too. I'm not sure if they did it that way because they're not sure they're getting a 2nd season, but it definitely felt out of step with the rest of the season.

You must have watched last night's episode, right? So you haven't seen the pilot where she drops her dress and has the most amazing underwear on and body to boot (i called it the "we're definitely getting a full episode order" shot)? I gave my DVR a workout that night. :stunned Relax, it was only the DVR that got a work out that night.

Yeah, I just saw last nights episode. Me thinks I might have to trackdown some older ones now.

FYI: IFC Is playing all 6 episodes of Todd Margaret this Friday from 7:30pm - 10:30p.m.

I definitely plan on DVD-Ring them, just in case if these don't hit DVD until next fall. Or if there never is a Season 2.

FYI: IFC Is playing all 6 episodes of Todd Margaret this Friday from 7:30pm - 10:30p.m.

I definitely plan on DVD-Ring them, just in case if these don't hit DVD until next fall. Or if there never is a Season 2.

I've only seen 3 episodes so far, I didn't realize I was this far behind.

I wish IFC Canada was showing this. Oh well, I guess I'll have to download the remaining 3.

Have been watching Boardwalk Empire since the beginning and even thought about starting a thread on here. Very impressed thus far, especially with the weaving of of the Chicago, NYC, AC plotlines. I thought it might be too much but if indeed they are trying to paint a broad picture of the early days of organized crime, then they are doing a very meticulous job. The attention to set, costume and period has been astonishing, apparently there is some overlap with Madmen designers, wardrobe, etc. Buscemi may have found the role of his life.

Some sad news from my friend's Facebook page: He's out of a job, now that Undercovers just got cancelled today. :ohwell

He works for Bad Robot and was on Fringe's 1st 2 seasons. I don't recall seeing the Bad Robot logo on Undercovers.

Anyways, last night he sent out a status update telling friends to watch because NBC was specifically looking at last night's ratings to pull the trigger either way.

Undercovers Cancelled

3 more episodes to air. 3 more in the can that should be included on a DVD release at some point.

I watched a few episodes of Undercovers, but it just wasn't very good. The spy scenes were less thrilling and less believable than what you would find on Chuck, so why watch a similar but inferior show? Hopefully, Gugu Mbatha-Raw can find a more worthy show to star in.

Cougar Town is the best show on television right now. Followed closely by Community and Modern Family. How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory have been decent, but a little underwhelming.

I'm sticking with The Event, but I'm not sure why. It feels too much like 24 in the sense that it seems to contain smaller episode arcs within each season that end with twists to lead you into the next few episodes. For instance, these first few episodes were focused on finding the girlfriend and dealing with the disappearing plane. Once those are resolved, we'll get a new set of stories to follow. 24 frustrated me with using up an entire third of the season for something that turned out to be one big fake-out. I'm afraid that The Event will go down the same path.

Hawaii Five-O has been fun, thanks almost solely to Scott Caan.

The Walking Dead premiere was excellent, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of that season.