The 8 Month Old "New" Fall TV Season 2010-2011

i love Terriers- it is fun to watch and has a good sense of humor. Plus I'm a San Diego native and appreciate the setting.

I love the confident, laid back tone of this show, it's never predictable or repetitive, I love it's look (sun-burned photography, if you will) and Donal Logue is really strutting some extroardinary acting chops as the recovering alcoholic. Especially the last episode he was spectacular in my opinion, and so was the episode in all other aspects as a matter of fact. Granted, it's a bit of a cliche and one of those typical roles that fishes for awards, but that doesn't take anything away from the performance itself. To summarize: great show! I do hope it gets renewed because from what I gather it might not.

None of the comedy shows have been able to win my heart for the time being, Running Wilde in particular is painful. Chest hair jokes, really? What's next, a sh*t sandwich joke?

I just read this over at Office Tally:

Entertainment Weekly reports that NBC may be planning three hours of comedy on Thursdays once the current version of Donald Trump’s The Apprentice ends.

The Thursday night lineup might look like this:

* 8pm: Community

* 8:30pm: Perfect Couples (new show)

* 9pm: The Office

* 9:30pm: The return of Parks and Recreation

* 10pm: 30 Rock

* 10:30pm: Outsourced

I have not really got into any new show this season. And I don't think The Office or Community has been all that great so far this year. I am not sure how Outsourced even got on the air. It will be good to see Parks and Recreation come back.

I noticed last night that several networks are trying to capture the success of Pawn Stars/American Pickers. There were three shows on at the same time - (I didn't catch the title), Hollywood Treasure, and Auction King.

Rubicon has not been granted a 2nd season.

I'm disappointed, though not surprised considering its low--even by AMC standards--ratings.

I have not really got into any new show this season. And I don't think The Office or Community has been all that great so far this year. I am not sure how Outsourced even got on the air. It will be good to see Parks and Recreation come back.

I think "Community" has actually gotten better overall this season, especially with the satire. I'm a fan so I found season 1 to be pretty great too.

Looking forward to seeing "Parks and Recs" back too, that "Outsourced" is not in the same league.

It's hard to match the Chicken Fingers and/or Paint Ball episode. The Messianic Myths And Ancient People episode was pretty cool.

I did see part of The Walking Dead. It reminded me somewhat of The Day of the Triffids.

It's hard to match the Chicken Fingers and/or Paint Ball episode. The Messianic Myths And Ancient People episode was pretty cool.

Yeah, the Chicken Fingers and Paint Ball episodes were two of the best things they've done so far. This new season has had some pretty good ones too such as the Rabies outbreak, Messianic, KFC RV and Missing Pen episodes.

RE: NBC's newly revamped Thursday Must-See TV Lineup: :blink Are they shepherding these new shows to take over for The Office or 30 Rock for next year or sooner?

I recall reading about Perfect Couples back in the spring and then never heard about it again until now. It is pretty much exactly like Better With You (on ABC) and deals with 3 couples (all of them young...that's the big difference). It features Olivia Munn and Christine Woods who was amazing on FlashForward as the lesbian FBI agent (FBI meaning... :shifty ).

I don't know how they plan to have Parks & Recreation's 22 episodes play from January until possibly May. Maybe they'll only have a few episode of this new show and play doubles for Parks & Recreation.

You got to love their sneaky scheduling, so that you have to sit through everything. Well, except for Outsourced. You can check out after 30 Rock, if you want to.

NBC booted their episode of Undercovers last night last minute for a special on That Prince getting married. The last episode for that should now air on Wednesday December 8th, unless if NBC gets sentimental and plays the last 3 episodes (11, 12, 13) during the end of December and early January on a Saturday night or something. They'll probably get greedy and not play them and wait for people to buy the DVDs or Netflix the episodes.

The Event's 10th episode is supposed to air on November 29th and then they will take a 3 month break and return on February 28th with a "relaunch". I'm not sure what they mean by that exactly. All that I know is that returning episode will be a 2 hour "event". I'm looking at the whole thing as 3 months off the hook. :monkey

Not with DVR, my friend. "Live" TV is for chumps. DVR = no commercials.

I was talking about "those" people without DVR. I have it and I love it.

It's like swimming in raw sewage. To paraphrase Lt. Frank Drebin.

I wonder how DVR has affected air-rates for commercials. I wonder what percentage of viewers are like me - that they only view "taped" shows?

I would have to assume that commercials coming out of and going into programming is the most expensive, since mostly everyone sees a little bit of it when hitting fast forward.

(cue Darth Vader's NOOOOOOOO!!!!!) Fox is putting Fringe on Fridays beginning on January 28th 2011.

:mellow

Or "The Kiss Of Death". Friday night is the old folk's home of network television. :brow

Fringe is quite possibly my favorite show on network television right now. I knew that it would somehow someway fill that void that Lost left this spring. It has been consistently satisfying from week to week and it actually makes me want to tune in every week unlike some of this fall's new shows (Hawaii Five-O and The Event).

It's kind of strange that Fox killed one of their best shows by giving Glee the Tuesday night schedule that Fringe had for season 1. There's way too much competition on Thursday nights. What's wrong with Wednesdays?

And they also do not list Running Wilde on their 2011 revamped schedule. At this point they still list 2 episodes to air on November 30th and December 7th. I assume that these will be the last and expect to see an official announcement very soon.

FOX 2011 "Revamped" Schedule

Edit: LOL. It looks like Fox is jumping on the 3 couples comedy bandwagon that ABC (Better With You) and now NBC (Perfect Couples) have jumped on with Mixed Signals.

Edit Part Deux: An early Christmas gift for Community fans.

Yeah, the Chicken Fingers and Paint Ball episodes were two of the best things they've done so far. This new season has had some pretty good ones too such as the Rabies outbreak, Messianic, KFC RV and Missing Pen episodes.

This week's episode was good. I liked the blanket fort deal.

Another pawn shop show - Pawn Queens (TLC).

Fringe is one of the best shows on TV.

I think that's a little too far. I thought they kind of dragged the end of the first season and the beginning of the second season. But season 3 has moved along very well and the parallels have worked out wonderfully.

I'm disappointed that Lonestar and Caprica got the boot.

The actress who plays Clarice on Caprica, she is just amazing when she says, "I just want to have a talk with her."

This House season has disappointed me. Not only did Fox advertise it like Grey's Anatomy and killed its ratings, the writing has fallen off the compass. There's still a few great moments like when Amber Tamblyn asks if Hugh Laruie believes in himself. Most of the cases were getting bad by the 5th season, but now they're getting much worse.

The other shows I'm still watching like Community, Burn Notice, and Venture Brothers are doing pretty damn well.

The other shows I'm still watching like Community, Burn Notice, and Venture Brothers are doing pretty damn well.

I watch Burn Notice sometimes. I really liked Jeffrey Donovan's acting on Touching Evil, but the show did not last long.

Last night, I caught some of Lennon Naked on PBS. I thought it was terrible.

I watch Burn Notice sometimes. I really liked Jeffrey Donovan's acting on Touching Evil, but the show did not last long.

Last night, I caught some of Lennon Naked on PBS. I thought it was terrible.

Jeffrey Donovan isn't really an actor: there's as much acting in him as there is orange juice in Sunny Delight. Burn Notice is entertaining to watch due to the amount of detail and logic placed into the show. However, I wouldn't watch it for character development and arcs.

Jeffrey Donovan isn't really an actor: there's as much acting in him as there is orange juice in Sunny Delight. Burn Notice is entertaining to watch due to the amount of detail and logic placed into the show. However, I wouldn't watch it for character development and arcs.

Check out some episodes of Touching Evil. You can find it on Youtube. Pruitt Taylor Vince was also great in that show.

• 3 weeks later...

Some 2011 reporting has taken place for some television shows' return dates and cancellations.

Return Dates (Episodes remaining, if known):

Hawaii Five-0 Monday January 3rd (10 episodes)

Castle Monday January 3rd (12 episodes)

V Tuesday January 4th (10 episodes for Season 2)

NBC's Revamped Must See TV 3 Hour Block begins on Thursday January 20th.

Perfect Couples series premieres this night and Parks & Recreation begins its long awaited 3rd season.

Fringe makes the deadly move to Friday nights with an episode cleverly titled Firefly on Friday January 21st. ( :brow hopefully this show doesn't end up like that classic. 13 episodes)

The Event returns after a 3 month hiatus on Monday February 28th preceded by one of those 2 hour recap shows. (12 episodes)

FOX appears to have caused a lot of confusion and feelings similar to that of Arrested Development's demise with its handling of Running Wilde. FOX was scheduled to broadcast 3 of the 5 final episodes on Sundays at 7p.m right through the end of the year. FOX made a last minute change to show an earlier episode, even the official website had the banner for a new episode. FOX claims to play the 5 remaining episodes "at some point in the future".

I didn't like the show that much, but I was very curious to see where the show would wind up and if Mitchell Hurwitz ever found the right footing for his new show. Late December seemed like a perfect time to bury the remaining episodes without much shame. If these episodes don't make it to air in January, then I can only picture them putting them on an eventual dvd release.

NBC appears to be airing 2 of the final 4 remaining episodes of Undercovers beginning on Wednesday December 22nd and wrapping up the following Wednesday. I really wish that they gave this show more time because it feels like this could have been a much more expansive show than something like the repetitive episodic nature of Hawaii Five-O. Oh well.

Also, for those of you that watched FX's show Terriers, I am sure that you are aware that this was cancelled.

A bit of odd news for AMC's The Walking Dead: Frank Darabont fires entire writing staff of The Walking Dead. Will turn to freelance writers for 13 Season 2 episodes.

CBS & ABC is bringing the ax to Medium & The Whole Truth, respectively.

Also, for those of you that watched FX's show Terriers, I am sure that you are aware that this was cancelled.

Yup. Sucks. Possibly the best new show on TV this fall, and it was never given a chance.

I was hoping that its placement on FX would insulate it from concerns about ratings, but I guess even the basic cable channels expect people to watch their original series.

Just got this by way of my Facebook page:

We're mere weeks away from the Parks and Rec Season 3 premiere, and just so you know, Rob Lowe will be sticking around all season...

That was a great episode of Community last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: For fans of Mitchell Hurwitz & the few folks that want to see Running Wilde's last remaining episodes can breathe a sigh of relief that they don't have to buy the DVD. FOX is going to play them on Sunday nights beginning tonight at 9p.m. However, it does appear that they will be played out of order. OK. Scratch that. LOL. Tonight's episode is new and the one next week is a repeat. I guess episode titles have not been that memorable.

Perfect Couples - NBC ran a random episode of this this past Monday night. I watched it earlier today and I thought it was ok. All of the men were pretty one dimensional man childs. {Outsourced's pilot was like this, until they got further into each episode did each character grow out of a cliche} Anyways, the good thing about it was having Christine Woods (pregnant/lesbian double agent on FlashForward) back on tv. She is quite amazing and beautiful and funny. Quite a departure from her previous role. Olivia Munn ( :stunned ) and Mary Elizabeth Ellis (the waitress from It's Always Sunny) were also quite good. The BIG problem with this show is that it doesn't really fit in with that Thursday night lineup. Sidenote: You know that you watch too much tv when you realize that certain shows definitely look like they belong on certain networks. There's some aesthetic quality to this show that seems like a "perfect" fit for ABC. I can picture it on their Wednesday night.

I also caught what I think was an old cut of the NBC Midseason Promo that I put up on here from Hulu/NBC. It was on late Christmas Eve/very early Christmas day. I DVRed it and I was surprised to see a few shows mentioned that weren't on the Hulu 25 minute clip. Some Paul Reiser show (The Paul Reiser Show?) and an interesting looking hour long dramedy from the creators of Sex & The City called Love Bites. They showed a scene with Craig Robinson (guesting on the show) and Greg Grunberg (Heroes) on an airplane trying to talk to Jennifer Love Hewitt playing herself. Then some actress from Ugly Betty had the female lead: Becki Newton. Constance Zimmer was the 3rd and final lead in this anthology series that focuses on relationships told through these characters that somehow connect in someway in each week. It was supposed to replace The Apprentice this spring in the 10 o'clock time slot that is now going to be occupied by 30 Rock and Outsourced. Maybe they'll play this at some point?

EDIT: I almost forgot what I wanted to really post. I wanted to give a heads up to 2 new IFC shows debuting in January: Portlandia & The Onion News Network.

Portlandia is 6 episodes long and is with Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein (from Sleater Kinney). It is a half hour sketch comedy show produced by SNL's Lorne Michaels. Some of the guest stars will include Selma Blair, Steve Buscemi, Heather Graham, Aubrey Plaza, Jason Sudeikis, Gus Van Sant, and Kyle MacLachlan, as the mayor of Portland. Actual Portland mayor Sam Adams makes an appearance in the first episode of the series as the mayor's assistant. An episode including a music festival similar to Portland's MusicfestNW will feature a rock band played by Colin Meloy of The Decemberists, James Mercer of The Shins, and Brownstein's former Sleater-Kinney bandmate Corin Tucker. Premieres Friday January 21st at 10:30p.m. EST.

The Onion News Network also premieres on January 21st and will be basically a news style show featuring the Onion wit. Also, on Comedy Central on January 11th, Onion SportsDome premieres which is pretty much a satirical take on sports news.

AND if that wasn't enough IFC is going to start playing 3 classic cult comedy shows in January: Mr. Show With Bob & David ( :worship ) The Ben Stiller Show ( :worship ) , & The Larry Sanders Show ( :worship ). You got to love IFC for playing such classics like these. They really found their niche now being home to Freaks & Geeks, Undeclared, Monty Python, The Three Stooges and Arrested Development.

Yup. Sucks. Possibly the best new show on TV this fall, and it was never given a chance.

I was hoping that its placement on FX would insulate it from concerns about ratings, but I guess even the basic cable channels expect people to watch their original series.

i was disappointed about "terriers" being cancelled, too. such a great role for Donal Logue. (loved your comments about his acting a few pages ago, crypt!)

network tv is such a weird animal these days. they're all trying to figure out how to do things now that the game is so different than it used to be. :hmm

• 4 months later...

Here is a current list of the t.v. shows that have been cancelled as of this past week and today.

NBC:

The Event (glad to see you go)

Outsourced (actually enjoyed it toward the end)

Law & Order: L.A.

Perfect Couples (cancelled in early April)

The Paul Reiser Show (cancelled in April after only 2 episodes aired)

ABC:

V (ABC really failed by only giving this a 10 episode 2nd season. Why bother?)

No Ordinary Family

Mr. Sunshine

Off The Map

Better With You

Detroit 187

Brothers & Sisters

FOX:

The Chicago Code

Lie To Me

Breaking In

Human Target

Traffic Light

Yet somehow Two & A Half Men still lingers on in its tameness and lameness. I'll try to update later on as to what has been picked up. There's a few J.J. Abrams' shows coming (FOX & CBS), some interesting conceptual shows, some familiar faces trying to make it with yet another series and there seems to be a running theme of "Grrrrllll Power".

Here is a current list of the t.v. shows that have been cancelled as of this past week and today.

NBC:

The Event (glad to see you go)

Outsourced (actually enjoyed it toward the end)

Law & Order: L.A.

Perfect Couples (cancelled in early April)

The Paul Reiser Show (cancelled in April after only 2 episodes aired)

ABC:

V (ABC really failed by only giving this a 10 episode 2nd season. Why bother?)

No Ordinary Family

Mr. Sunshine

Off The Map

Better With You

Detroit 187

Brothers & Sisters

FOX:

The Chicago Code

Lie To Me

Breaking In

Human Target

Traffic Light

Yet somehow Two & A Half Men still lingers on in its tameness and lameness. I'll try to update later on as to what has been picked up. There's a few J.J. Abrams' shows coming (FOX & CBS), some interesting conceptual shows, some familiar faces trying to make it with yet another series and there seems to be a running theme of "Grrrrllll Power".

I figured Outsourced would get the boot.

NBC can't seem to come up with anything to stick in there on Thursday nights around The Office, Community, and Parks and Recreation.

The word is that Ashton Kutcher is taking over for Charlie Sheen - at a 1 million an episode. I tried to watch that show once or twice. It seemed like crap to me.