It's Christmas time!!!

I am not sure i can give Lammy's old lady reason to go to the woods and cut down a tree in the national forest, although I suppose it is a little like culling the deer population so that they remain healthier...perhaps select cutting of national forest trees keeps it healthy for everyone and maybe keeps the low brush down (which is safer regarding forest fires)

But i do know that getting at tree at a tree farm is a great way to do the following: support local businesses, keep people employed over the winter months (a lot of landscapers do tree farming and plowing in the winter), maintain really really really important open space for wildlife (and human life). Tree farming requires very little water, generally, and almost no fertilizer and can use very rocky, relatively unuseable land (that is for other agriculture.) Christmas tree farming is pretty sustainable, has a relatively small carbon footprint and trees are often recycled/reused as mulch in many municipalities, including Denver. If her issue is "killing a tree" does that means she doesn't use paper, or cardboard, or post-it-notes, ever? Also, fake trees sometimes have offgassing issues, and the ones that come from china (hello carbon footprint) are tied together internally with a hell of a lot of lead. Bad bad bad for kids, lead poisoning.

Anyway, Lammer, good luck. Hope that helps your cause. Go live or die trying.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After convincing my wife to have colored (instead of all white) lights on the fake tree last year, I finally convince my wife to get a real tree.

It has been a 20 year or so tradition for my parents to take their grand-kids to cut down their tree (from a tree farm) - they usually let the grand-kids pick the tree, sometimes with pretty dreadful results, but of course to my mom and dad they always look spectacular. Hopefully they will not let my two year old pick out the tree this year - leave it for the twenty-two year old to pick.

Anyway we are going to just a small "Charlie Brown" tree this year and place it on top of my wife's sewing machine cabinet.

I kinda consider myself a tree-hugger, but I don't see a problem cutting down a tree that was planted to be cut down and will be replanted with another tree. I can think of a lot worse things that could be done with the land.

I need the smell of a real tree in order for it to feel like Christmas (luckily our allergies aren't bad). My parents went artificial trees a few yrs ago, and while they're nice to look at, it just doesn't have the same effect for me -- too perfect, symmetrical & evenly decorated. I like my trees to have character, require maintenance, and smell up the house... kinda like me! ;)

I need the smell of a real tree in order for it to feel like Christmas (luckily our allergies aren't bad). My parents went artificial trees a few yrs ago, and while they're nice to look at, it just doesn't have the same effect for me -- too perfect, symmetrical & evenly decorated. I like my trees to have character, require maintenance, and smell up the house... kinda like me! ;)

I agree. I worked on a Christmas tree lot in high school and college and one of the great joys each year growing up was going to pick out our tree. It's a compromise I've had to make, but we found a really nice tree that looks fairly real and we decorate it nicely, so it's all good.

I agree. I worked on a Christmas tree lot in high school and college and one of the great joys each year growing up was going to pick out our tree. It's a compromise I've had to make, but we found a really nice tree that looks fairly real and we decorate it nicely, so it's all good.

I also worked on a tree lot in highschool. I loved it. We had a fire barrel and a couple flasks and not too many customers so it was quite nice. Since I had those perks we always had a nice Fraser Fir which is IMO the only kind to bring into the house. When I moved out I kept the tradition alive until a couple of years ago when Frasers jumped from $29 to $59 overnight. We went to fake pre-lit a few years ago and I'm now used to it. I still have satisfaction for "going and getting a tree" though becasue its actually easier to walk into the woods and cut one down then dig mine out of the basement.

I also worked on a tree lot in highschool. I loved it. We had a fire barrel and a couple flasks and not too many customers so it was quite nice. Since I had those perks we always had a nice Fraser Fir which is IMO the only kind to bring into the house. When I moved out I kept the tradition alive until a couple of years ago when Frasers jumped from $29 to $59 overnight. We went to fake pre-lit a few years ago and I'm now used to it. I still have satisfaction for "going and getting a tree" though becasue its actually easier to walk into the woods and cut one down then dig mine out of the basement.

Fraser Firs are definitely the best. Not even close.

8443_1_456_1.JPG

Put this on our tree last night - so it's officially Christmas in the calvino loft. My sister got this for me back in 97, one of my favorite gifts ever. Got love the Dead/Garcia estate for getting in the Christmas "capitalist" spirit - damn hippies.