It's Christmas time!!!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

C-7s and C-9s are the best Christmas lights! Becoming fewer and farther between, so even more special.

I'm partial to the painted C-9s but you hardly ever see them these days.

I actually had plenty of spare bulbs for this season but, fear not my friend. We have a resource: http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/c9-frosted-christmas-lights-bulbs--452.htm

They even sell the stringers buy the foot and by the roll too!

I try really hard at Christmas, but it is always a struggle.

My Grandmother died Christmas night 1987, and things were a little tough for quite a while.

Several Years ago my mother suffered a debilitating stroke and my side of our family fell apart a bit.

My wife's family is so disfunctional that every gathering is more adventerous than enjoyable.

We have taken to having our own Christmas traditions, but as the kids get older, it gets a bit more fractured with their work and school.

Agree that Christmas can be very tough. So many expectations and trying to relive the past. Spending the day in a bubble with your own family while so many suffer. It can be a hard one to balance. Best wishes for the season, Crow Daddy.

On a happier note, for some inexplicable reason, last year I never heard the Eagles' version of "Please Come Home for Christmas" and I really wanted to hear it! Now I've heard it twice in two days and I'm good for another few years.

anyone check out that holiday musical/ story by Striking12?? heard it again on XPN around noon today (great 24 xmas music show by mr. drake) and want to get the whole release!

• 10 months later...

Agree that Christmas can be very tough. So many expectations and trying to relive the past. Spending the day in a bubble with your own family while so many suffer. It can be a hard one to balance.

Very true. My husband and I have learned to keep the holidays festive yet simple, especially for the kids. I don't want them growing up with awful memories of the holidays as I have from my teens and 20s when extended family issues and unnecessary drama ran the show. These days, I make sure family get togethers are short and low key.

My own little family enjoys simple things like making cookies and attending holiday lighting events to see Santa. I'm pretty sure my son no longer believes in Santa, but he plays along for the spirit of it, as well as his favorite holiday saying, "If you don't believe in Santa, you get underwear for Christmas." :D

As for presents, that too is light and lighthearted. My take is, if you want something extravagant, buy it yourself!

I love that Sufjan Stevens "Silver and Gold" is streaming at NPR right now:

http://www.npr.org/s...84/first-listen

His whole Christmas set is great.

My favorite holiday albums this year:

Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin

Herb Alpert's christmas album

Phil Spector's christmas album

Sufjan's 100 song set

Squirrel Nut Zippers christmas album

Looking for one more to add to the collection. Thinking of Ella Fitzgerald's. Wish Los Lobos had a christmas album.

His whole Christmas set is great.

My favorite holiday albums this year:

Jimmy Smith's Christmas Cookin

Herb Alpert's christmas album

Phil Spector's christmas album

Sufjan's 100 song set

Squirrel Nut Zippers christmas album

Looking for one more to add to the collection. Thinking of Ella Fitzgerald's. Wish Los Lobos had a christmas album.

We picked up that Jimmy Smith Christmas LP at the flea market a couple years ago and I couldn't believe my ears -- I love it so much! Ella's hard to beat, too.

My guilty pleasure at Christmas is the Carpenters....

I have to admit I probably listen to the Elvis christmas albums the most out of anything. I have a Johnny Cash as well that I listen to every year that is probably not great but definitely nostalgic.

A couple years ago, as a joke, my sister bought me the "Sing Along With Mitch" Christmas album.  Our dad used to play it for us when we were kids, despite our constant complaints.

I was an idiot and played it for my kids, thinking they'd get the joke about how utterly horrible it is. 

Unfortunately, they FREAKING LOVE IT and we listen to it pretty much every night during the Christmas season.

"CHESTNUTS ROASTING ON A OPEN FIRE!!! JACK FROST NIPPING AT YOUR NOSE!!!!"

all. night. long.

ugh.

On the way to cut down our tree, we gave a spin to Dylan's Christmas CD over the weekend - so it's officially tis' the season.

I really do enjoy the disc.

That get lots of play in our house, too.  Haven't busted it out yet this year, but probably will over the weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas came a little bit early as these lil' beauties just arrived for my first child, who will be joining the world a week from tomorrow.

Congratulations!  :cheers

One of the first things I did for my second newborn was a Wilco shirt, too.  He's almost five now, and is getting yet another Wilco tee for Christmas.  (And a Blues Brothers poster.)