What are the chances the next Wilco album sucks?

I don't like W(TA) and I haven't listened to it all the way through since the day I got it. I also don't really care for SBS and I just think AGIB is so-so. Does it mean that I don't like Wilco? Absolutely not. I'd still go see them live and still listen to the older stuff and still hold out hope that the next album will be more like ST or BT. The reason I "stick around" might have something to do with the fact that I've been a member of VC since 2001 and I've made a lot of friends here over the years.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

made no sense whatsoever and just provedyou don't know a lot about the members in this band and the music they make.

No, it didn't. If it proved anything, it's that broc changed his mind - or didn't state his idea right the first time - which is perfectly acceptable to do.

That's a cheap shot, and likely hyperbole. Heck, I wouldn't have even posted that. :lol

And this is in no way relevant in this discussion anyway

Hardly anything in this discussion is truly related to a single idea.

Damn! Don't I feel stupid. I always thought it was "and".....like "I made my case and I made my point". I'm not sure I even understand how the "in" works in that phrase.

I can see where you'd get that idea ... kind of like "game, set, and match." But of course, idioms don't always make a whole lot of sense when you begin to dissect them. If you look this one up, you'll probably find that it's a relic of an antiquated phrase.

The reason I "stick around" might have something to do with the fact that I've been a member of VC since 2001 and I've made a lot of friends here over the years.

It's worth pointing out that there are fifteen separate subforums here, and only two of them (maybe three?) are limited to Wilco and Wilco-related subjects.

No, it didn't. If it proved anything, it's that broc changed his mind - or didn't state his idea right the first time - which is perfectly acceptable to do.

That's a cheap shot, and likely hyperbole. Heck, I wouldn't have even posted that. :lol

Page 8, first post. He was clearly talking about the songwriting at that point and not their live shows.

I dunno why you're trying to defend him anyway, seen his type one time too many on the interwebs, bold statements without the knowledge to back it up.

Guest Speed Racer

Page 8, first post. He was clearly talking about the songwriting at that point and not their live shows.

I dunno why you're trying to defend him anyway, seen his type one time too many on the interwebs, bold statements without the knowledge to back it up.

As opposed to your type, which is totally fun to have a conversation with. Like most everything else though, you probably knew that already. :lol

Dude changed his mind. So what?

To me, the album is just full of little missteps that keep the songs from being what they could be. With the snarky exception of One Wing, which could have been a song that didn't exist, but a series of missteps like writing and recording, kept that from being so.

The actual exceptions for me are Deeper Down and I'll Fight, both of which are probably decent songs, but just aren't the type of songs that I like.

Some of the missteps are in the writing: I think Tweedy could have used a better editor, whether it was himself or a bandmate. Like how Poor Places had about twice as many lyrics in its initial inception; Jeff has always shined when less is more. Other missteps are in the instrumentation, like that terrible organ fill in Solitaire that makes me want to snap the necks of defenseless kittens.

OK, so in other words, NOT the musical equivalent of Showgirls. Just mediocre, could have been good if not for "little missteps" and some songs are probably good but aren't your type. That seems like a more reasonable position, although I still disagree.

Organ fill? How can a 5-second part ruin a whole song? That's just nonsensical to me. Either a song is good or it isn't. I like Solitaire, but I guess if I'd paid more attention to the organ fill instead of incidentals like melody and lyrics it would make me want to strangle kittens. (?)

The point about Tweedy needing "an editor" also makes no sense, given that WTA is about as concise an album as Wilco has had since AM. Bull Black Nova is the only song of any length on there, and that's, what, 5 minutes?

Also, "One Wing" is awesome.

Guest Speed Racer

OK, so in other words, NOT the musical equivalent of Showgirls. Just mediocre, could have been good if not for "little missteps"

A few "little missteps" on the wrong edge can lead to death, no?

Organ fill? How can a 5-second part ruin a whole song?

It ruins the song, as recorded, because it could have been a great recording/arrangement. Instead, I hear "dunda dunny-dunny, dunda dunny-dunny..." and I know that I'm going to soon hear "bum bum bum bum," the sonic equivalent of Pat taking a dump on my knee.

The point about Tweedy needing "an editor" also makes no sense, given that WTA is about as concise an album as Wilco has had since AM. Bull Black Nova is the only song of any length on there, and that's, what, 5 minutes?

This, sentice is short: needs editor maybe litte?

The fact that I expected a reply like the above doesn't take away from how much I laughed at it. Thanks!

It ruins the song, as recorded, because it could have been a great recording/arrangement. Instead, I hear "dunda dunny-dunny, dunda dunny-dunny..." and I know that I'm going to soon hear "bum bum bum bum," the sonic equivalent of Pat taking a dump on my knee.

I understand how you might not like a certain musical flourish on a song, but to let that spoil the whole thing is silly. If I rejected all music that had touches of overly florid or tacky-sounding instrumentation, I'd have to stop listening to a lot of Ray Charles' albums, and maybe most of Frank Sinatra's recordings, for example. Not to say Solitaire is an all-time classic or anything, but that organ fill constitutes like 0.5 percent of the elements that make up the song.

As for editing, you said Tweedy needed an editor because "less is more," so that's what I was responding to.

Guest Speed Racer

I understand how you might not like a certain musical flourish on a song, but to let that spoil the whole thing is silly.

The treatment they gave Bob Dylan's Beard would have worked fantastically with this song. Instead, it's just another song on W(TA), like just another stripper in Showgirls.

As for editing, you said Tweedy needed an editor because "less is more," so that's what I was responding to.

I did not say less time, though. I gave Poor Places as an example; the demo (which has more lyrics) runs shorter than the final ("less") version.

Damn! Don't I feel stupid. I always thought it was "and".....like "I made my case and I made my point". I'm not sure I even understand how the "in" works in that phrase.

You forgot that Speed Racer Nap Recorder is always right.

Wow, Wilco can't put out an album fast enough for this crowd. W(TA) while not my favorite Wilco album just isn't that bad. I don't like the cover that much, but what the fuck does that have to do with anything. And SBS is a very good album. In the course of a long recording career, artists are going to have ebbs and flows. It used to be recording artists put out two or three albums a year. Not so anymore, we have to wait years for something people are going to dis. Meahwhile Jeff isn't going to give a shit. He and his band sell out shows all over the world and sell plenty of records, new and old; that's what successful musicians do.

So if he cranked out a couple albums a year, then I suppose everyone could be disenchanted with the not so stupendous ones and move on, but since he doesn't, everyone gets to agonize over 5 second organ fills. Oh well....how long until the next album comes out? Come on Jeff, we are WAITING!!!!

LouieB

Why don't people just use their names on the internet? Sure it may already be taken but you can always put a number after it, make a letter a different case, initial(s), some variant, etc.

Could you please explain why that is?

Why don't people just use their names on the internet? Sure it may already be taken but you can always put a number after it, make a letter a different case, initial(s), some variant, etc.

Why do you hate fun?

Why do you hate fun?

I love fun. I suppose that when you meet people face-to-face that you wear a black suit, a Samuel L. Jackson as Jules mask and introduce yourself as Jules. Well, upon reflection, if you do that, which I asume that you do, it sounds fun.

Because the internet is not real life.

Well I'll be damned. I thought that I was actually communicating with another person. Am I dreaming? I am awake, though. How long until a mod/admin moves this discussion to another, more appropriate, area? Ha ha.