Best Records of 2010

i wish i could agree that new Basia is as good/better than the first, but I tried numerous times and besides her finally putting 'Hush' to record, it just doesn't move me nearly as much as the last one (which granted wasn't in my top 10 that year either).

that said, i did kinda forget it came out this year hmm.gif

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, i forgot to do my reissues/compilations "best of", so here it is (not in order):

01 jan and dean - carnival of sound

02 the pioneers - long shot

03 the cowsills - on my side

04 the rolling stones - exile on main st

05 the apple box set (especially mary hopkins, james taylor - who i hate with a passion apart from this, his first album - and billy preston)

06 david bowie - station to station

07 bruce haack - farad

08 syl johnson - complete mythology

09 alice clark - studio recordings 1968-72

10 pastor t.l. barrett - like a ship (thanks to gtrplyr for that!)

11 bob dylan - original mono recordings (not that bootleg series which i couldn't even see the point in - if i bought it, i'd never play it)

12 desmond dekker and the aces - 007 shanty town

popular albums i didn't like:

01 kayne west - my beautiful dark twisted fantasy (i just fundamentally don't like anything he has to say - so whilst the music is ok for modern pop, i can't help laughing whenever he opens his mouth. i get the same feeling when i listen to lady gaga. i laugh and then say, "are you for fuckin' real?" that's the only thought i've ever had about both of those characters)

02 the national - high violet (didn't like the sound of the album, and it's just too maudlin - like they take themselves far far to seriously for what they actually have to say)

03 arcade fire - the suburbs (see above)

04 the black keys - brothers (my favourite of the dislikes - i can listen to this - but it doesn't do much for me. plus hollyoaks used "next girl" for an advertising campaign and it fitted perfectly; and that's all i have to say about that)

oh, i forgot to do my reissues/compilations "best of", so here it is (not in order):

01 jan and dean - carnival of sound

02 the pioneers - long shot

03 the cowsills - on my side

04 the rolling stones - exile on main st

05 the apple box set (especially mary hopkins, james taylor - who i hate with a passion apart from this, his first album - and billy preston)

06 david bowie - station to station

07 bruce haack - farad

10 pastor t.l. barrett - like a ship (thanks to gtrplyr for that!)

11 bob dylan - original mono recordings (not that bootleg series which i couldn't even see the point in - if i bought it, i'd never play it)

I'd like to have the new Sandy Denny boxset from your side of the world. I think one would have to rob a bank to pay for it though.

Sandy Denny - Sandy Denny Complete Edition

that is just so expensive i haven't even thought about it. i also think i'd not listen to it that much. the fairport albums, fotheringay and her first 3 solo albums are everything i'd want. now, if it was £50 i'd probably get it, but it's never going to be that price.

I wonder how many have been sold? I would think only a real fan of hers would go for such a collection.

I knew I forgot some.

Also remembered a few others:

Jim Sullivan - U.F.O.

Paul Revere & The Raiders - The Complete Columbia Singles

Donny Hathaway - Someday We'll All Be Free

I'd like to have the new Sandy Denny boxset from your side of the world. I think one would have to rob a bank to pay for it though.

Sandy Denny - Sandy Denny Complete Edition

Wow, I didn't even know about this set. It's tempting, though I'd definitely like to know what the remastering is like before plunking down that kind of money. I'm sick of the brickwalled mastering that has ruined so many reissues.

don't know. i just looked on amazon uk and it says order 1 to 3 weeks - which basically means it's either out of print or they've sold out the first run and are making more. so, some people are buying them. it does look fantastic. but, unfortunately i'm not made of money.

I see one of the Amazon.co.uk sellers has it listed in stock and is selling it for £9 more than Amazon at £158.99. So anyone that has the money to spare...

02 the national - high violet (didn't like the sound of the album, and it's just too maudlin - like they take themselves far far to seriously for what they actually have to say)

03 arcade fire - the suburbs (see above)

just fwiw, not that it's likely to change your mind, but i know both bands personally and I can tell you they don't ;)

don't know. i just looked on amazon uk and it says order 1 to 3 weeks - which basically means it's either out of print or they've sold out the first run and are making more. so, some people are buying them. it does look fantastic. but, unfortunately i'm not made of money.

It certainly looks nice.

I wonder why they didn't include some sort of DVDs in the package? Although there may not be a lot, there is most certainly some film footage of her out there.

just fwiw, not that it's likely to change your mind, but i know both bands personally and I can tell you they don't ;)

i just meant in their music. i'm not likely to meet them down the local pub any time soon. i mean, i could pick loads of music which i think is far far more puerile - but then that is all a lot of music aims to be, so i can't moan about that. i just have a problem with how these two bands have gone recently. i liked a lot of their older stuff (not loved, but liked enough to listen and be interested in what they do in the future) and i don't like this new stuff so much.

It certainly looks nice.

I wonder why they didn't include some sort of DVDs in the package? Although there may not be a lot, there is most certainly some film footage of her out there.

yeah. i've seen some stuff on youtube. if they've got that much bbc sessions stuff (from that previous box set) i'd imagine they must have some film recordings - although i do know that the bbc where absolutely mental in what they did with old film. they had no archiving system and just threw away old tapes. i think some guy (janitor perhaps, can't remember the story) used to go through it all and save stuff he liked, and that is the only reason why some of the old top of the pops tapes etc... still remain. most of it is refuge now.

i just meant in their music. i'm not likely to meet them down the local pub any time soon. i mean, i could pick loads of music which i think is far far more puerile - but then that is all a lot of music aims to be, so i can't moan about that. i just have a problem with how these two bands have gone recently. i liked a lot of their older stuff (not loved, but liked enough to listen and be interested in what they do in the future) and i don't like this new stuff so much.

fair enough. High Violet is my #1 album this year, but i'd agree it's not as good as Boxer. whereas Suburbs is my #7 album and i like it way more than Neon Bible (but not as much as Funeral obvs)

Other than Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers, I absolutely love every album The National has released.

i love that one way more than the debut myself. that was my first introduction to them tho.

the debut is the only one i don't love.

I like High Violet more than Boxer....probably my number one this year, too.

Looking at all the lists that are out there, I can't remember a more seemingly unanimous number one the way Kanye's album has been this year.

I thought Animal Collective was kind of like that last year but I guess that is probably just the lists I look at. I gave the Kanye a good listen, very enjoyable and some clever lyrics but I will never be able to understand it being as criticially lauded as it is and certainly not the #1 of the year. Maybe it deserves it, I don't know, just does not sound that groundbreaking and brilliant to me.

a very strong year in my opinion and I can't say i found anything really compelling post Sept 14 - the first 9 months were that good

Here is my top 10

1. Superchunk – Majesty Shredding

2. Arcade Fire – Suburbs

3. Walkmen - Lisbon

4. National – High Violet

5. Love Language – Libraries

6. Wolf Parade – Expo 86

7. Telekinesis – Dirty Thing/Parallel Seismic Conspiracies

8. Spoon – Transference

9. Hot Chip – One Life Stand

10. Interpol – s/t

1. Sufjan Stevens - Age of Adz

2. Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic

3. Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

4. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

5. Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record

6. Dr. Dog - Shame Shame

7. The National - High Violet

8. The Morning Benders - Big Echo

9. Local Natives - Gorilla Manor

10. Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

Honorable Mention:

Bruce Springsteen - The Promise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnugSPfCRmQ

1. Joel Alme - Waiting for the Bells

2. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

3. Phosphorescent - Here's To Taking It Easy

4. Cotton Jones - Tall Hours in the Glowstream

5. Dr. Dog - Shame, Shame

6. Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues

7. Laura Veirs - July Flame

8. The National - High Violet

9. Possessed By Paul James - Feed the Family

10. Mavis Staples - You Are Not Alone

Arcade Fire, Joanna Newsom and especially the Black Keys would have all made my list if they'd just hired an editor.

1. Two Cow Garage- Sweet Saint Me

2. Truckstop Darlin' - Self Titled

3. Chase 56 - Allatoona Rising

4. Gaslight Anthem - American Slang

5. American Aquarium - Small Town Hymns

6. John Moreland & The Black Gold Band - Things I Can't Control

7. Joey Kneiser - The All Night Bedroom Revival

8. Glossary - Feral FIre

9. Mat D. - Plank Road Drag

10. Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil - Victims, Enemies, and Old Friends

Not sure if it was posted yet but MOJO has an interesting best of 2010 list:

1. John Grant - Queen of Denmark