Taping the Tweedy shows?

I'm not in a tizzy about anything. The band does read this stuff sometimes, so you have registered your disapproval of their work for the last three or four years. BAITUSA is a fine album but it isn't Wilco.

I guess I just can't figure out how people can be so bummed about the fact that W(TA) is not YHF or Summerteeth. This is just entertainment. If you don't like it, don't buy it or don't play it. There are thousands of records recorded and released every year. There have been millions of sides cut during the over 100 years of recorded music. If you don't like the last dozen recorded by Wilco, listen to something else. I just can't get too excited by any of this. Wilco had toured relentlessly lately and they are still great fun to see. Cut them some slack.

LouieB

Guest Speed Racer

I don't care that W(TA) and SBS aren't like their previous work, I care that I don't like them. And that' senough for me. I do listen to other music, but I don't discuss it in Just a Fan. And I'm sorry, but I really think the band is capable of handling the criticism they read here. Frankly, based on LMLYFM's excellet record of live appearances, I'd say the band might even agree with me on a few counts.

Ok, you've both said your piece and managed to do so civilly, but now let's leave this discussion for the sake of keeping on topic, since this thread is actually called "Taping the Tweedy Shows".

Does anyone have an answer for dthedust about the Boulder Theatre's taping policies?

sorry back to the topic.does boulder theater still have a no taping policy?i know its a bit small for taping but is it still no taping policy?colorado folk?extra points awarded to NATIVE coloradians.

The website just says:

Cameras or recording devices? Generally no unless the band invited recording and photography. Flash is never allowed. Cameras and recording devices may be confiscated if used against the express wishes of the artist and house.

I know you can pull quite a few Boulder Theater shows off the Colorado tapers website so they don't seem to be too strict about it.

There was definitely a recording rig set up in the balcony at the Bowery last night. I'm sure the recording will show up eventually. The sound in that place was impeccable, the crowd relatively quiet (during Jeff's set at least) and there were quite a few humorous moments (Hummingbird second verse restart comes immediately to mind) that should come across quite nicely.

Frankly, based on LMLYFM's excellet record of live appearances, I'd say the band might even agree with me on a few counts.

Can someone tell me what LMLYFM is? Sorry I am not hip enough to know. Or else I just am not going to spend the time to figure it out.

And just for the record, I am not so fond of W(ta) either but Sky Blue Sky is pretty good. No musician is going to make great recordings every time out.

LouieB

Back on topic...... I'm going to bring my gear and try to tape the DC show. Unfortunately, there's a problem with my deck where it "adds" a little sound during the quiet parts. I need to get it repaired as it didn't used to do this, but it almost sounds like tape noise, or something spinning. Very strange since it's a digital deck that records onto a compact flash card. Anyhow, I figure something is better than nothing and it's not noticible when the music is happening so I'll try to tape.

Back on topic...... I'm going to bring my gear and try to tape the DC show. Unfortunately, there's a problem with my deck where it "adds" a little sound during the quiet parts. I need to get it repaired as it didn't used to do this, but it almost sounds like tape noise, or something spinning. Very strange since it's a digital deck that records onto a compact flash card. Anyhow, I figure something is better than nothing and it's not noticible when the music is happening so I'll try to tape.

Awesome. Good luck with the taping--I'm so looking forward to this show tomorrow night.

Any idea what time doors open? I don't have my tickets with me.

What time are you getting in line?

"eddie" on the 9:30 forum (IMP is the promoter for this show) said likely doors at 7, Autumn Defense at 8, Jeff at 9.

I'm going alone and am not particularly picky about where I sit so I probably won't get there til around 7:30.

I've never been to a seated GA show before--I guess it's no different from going to a sold-out movie, but still seems weird.

I called the Tarrytown Venue and asked about taping.  The woman who answered the phone was obviously aware of Tweedy's policies and said I could absolutely record, just no video or still photography,  I got there and started setting up my rig and a nice, middle-aged usher said it's cool that (Tweedy) lets us tape and asked if I would be putting it up on btetree.  He just said to make sure I kept my tripod out of the aisle,  The next person who approached me said she didn't think I could tape, despite my explanation that the artist allows it and I called ahead,.  She went off to investigate and came back and told me I just couldn't  use a tripod.  I started fastening the mic to a pole that was conveniently by my seat, and just as I finished, yet another person approached me and said absolutely no audio taping.  

Today, I called the Lincoln and they said absolutely no taping, regardless of the artist's rules.  I didn't even bother.

I'll have to give Charlottesville  a call tomorrow and see what they say (not that I can rely on it)

I thought your other post said you did tape the Tarrytown show... I'm guessing you went stealth after this. Sounds like you ran into someone who think s/he is the sole protectorate of their workplace. Clearly, the posted signs and spoken announcements did not mention any ban against audio taping, which often is mentioned in the music hall announcements. The same thing happened when Wilco allowed photography, even SLRs. Some staff would say it's OK, others at the same venue would later tell you you couldn't, no matter that you had an approving email from Wilco's manager in your hand.... Sigh....In any event, there's at least one other recording which might surface in due time.

I thought your other post said you did tape the Tarrytown show... I'm guessing you went stealth after this. Sounds like you ran into someone who think s/he is the sole protectorate of their workplace. Clearly, the posted signs and spoken announcements did not mention any ban against audio taping, which often is mentioned in the music hall announcements. The same thing happened when Wilco allowed photography, even SLRs. Some staff would say it's OK, others at the same venue would later tell you you couldn't, no matter that you had an approving email from Wilco's manager in your hand.... Sigh....In any event, there's at least one other recording which might surface in due time.

Yes, I did have to go stealth. It sounds surprisingly good for a recording made from a Zoom H1 stuck to an arm rest with masking tape loops (except for the fact that everyone leaving my aisle managed to knock it off. Coincidently enough, I'm listening to it right now on the train to Charlottesville. I didn't want to risk going stealth in DC because I was front row center. I hope somebody got it, though. That's a show I absolutely have to hear again.

charlottesville got taped by 2 folks. we recorded from the 5th row and I'm working on that right now. Have to leave for work so will try to get up tonite. 2nd taper ran from the balcony

I have taped on average 75+ shows a year for over 10 years and probably taped Wilco/Jeff 20+ times. for what its worth, my advice to anyone wanting to tape wilco/jeff, is not to call the venue. I don't see any benefit to it. 99% of these people have no fucking clue what taping is, many of the ones in the venue are volunteers, etc.... I mean go ask 10 strangers off the street about taping and none of them think that shit is legal, lol. Instead I would print out a copy of the band's policy from the website and have that with you. If you get any hassle for your gear, firmly -- but politely -- explain to the venue staff that the band permits it and that you have the official policy to show them. If that doesn't work, ask for their supervisor and keep asking until you get someone who can call shots. have that person call back for Stan, the "front of house engineer," and he will definitely go to bat for you and explain to them that you can bring in your gear. If the venue is adamant about no stands being allowed -- as happens in *some* sit down theaters -- you may have to hand hold, clamp a short extension pole to your seat or wear a hat as we did last night. I would ask them to contact Stan as the last resort though after you have politely explained the policy and tried all your available "jedi mind tricks." A few years back when wilco played the Myrtle Beach House of Blues it took over 30 minutes to get it resolved, which brings up the next point. You need to get there way early if you're going to tape. Stan obviously can't take the time to help you if he's at the board waiting for the band to come on

charlottesville got taped by 2 folks. we recorded from the 5th row and I'm working on that right now. Have to leave for work so will try to get up tonite. 2nd taper ran from the balcony

I have taped on average 75+ shows a year for over 10 years and probably taped Wilco/Jeff 20+ times. for what its worth, my advice to anyone wanting to tape wilco/jeff, is not to call the venue. I don't see any benefit to it. 99% of these people have no fucking clue what taping is, many of the ones in the venue are volunteers, etc.... I mean go ask 10 strangers off the street about taping and none of them think that shit is legal, lol. Instead I would print out a copy of the band's policy from the website and have that with you. If you get any hassle for your gear, firmly -- but politely -- explain to the venue staff that the band permits it and that you have the official policy to show them. If that doesn't work, ask for their supervisor and keep asking until you get someone who can call shots. have that person call back for Stan, the "front of house engineer," and he will definitely go to bat for you and explain to them that you can bring in your gear. If the venue is adamant about no stands being allowed -- as happens in *some* sit down theaters -- you may have to hand hold, clamp a short extension pole to your seat or wear a hat as we did last night. I would ask them to contact Stan as the last resort though after you have politely explained the policy and tried all your available "jedi mind tricks." A few years back when wilco played the Myrtle Beach House of Blues it took over 30 minutes to get it resolved, which brings up the next point. You need to get there way early if you're going to tape. Stan obviously can't take the time to help you if he's at the board waiting for the band to come on

All of these are excellent points and I'm sure would be the best way ro handle it in any rational venue. But the Tarrytown staff wasn't going to listen to anyone. When they made me put away my tripod, Stan gave me the tape to fasten the mic to the pole - that didn't sway them in the least. The worst part is that I was there very early and got all set up without any interference. Then somebody suddenly decided to arbitrarily invent a "rule" about 4 minutes before curtain.

After that experience, I was gun-shy about charlottesville so I didn't bring my tripod. But the staff was much more organized and everyone was aware that taping was allowed - they even announced it over the PA. I used some gaffer's tape to attach my recorder to a foam pad and managed to get it chest-high and pointed at the PAs by putting it on top of my coat which was in my lap. Of course, I had to sit motionless all night and couldn't clap, but it was worth it as I listen to it now. Awesome setlist and I'll never forget hearing "God" - one of my all-time favorite songs.

I just pray that somebody got DC. I loved that show too and it was amazing being in the front row (which is about a foot-and-a-half from the stage at the Lincoln).