Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Vox Night Train 15 W all tube amp head and it simply smokes! I love everything about it and I cannot believe how loud 15 watts can get. The only complaint that I have is that it does not have any onboard reverb, nor does it have an effects loop.

Everything I have ever read says that reverb pedals sound like shit without an FX loop.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated..thanks!

it really depends on where your overdrive is coming from. If you are using your amp's overdrive, it is generally considered to be a bad idea to put reverb in front of it.

if you are getting your OD from a pedal and setting your amp gain low enough for plenty of head room, putting a reverb between the OD pedal and the amp shouldn't be a problem.

this is the conventional wisdom. the conventional wisdom is something you should trust less than your own ears. only you know the sound you are after, so i would say borrow a reverb pedal from a friend(if you don't have your own), experiment, and decide for yourself.

gear-heads (and gear related forums) can be a great source of information, but the other side to the coin is that it's easy get bogged down in splitting hairs. they can easily lead you to spend more time tweaking knobs on the gear you already have and more time researching gear you don't, when what you should really be doing is playing your instrument.

confession: I'm guilty.

Sagely words Ghost..Lately I have just been playing it straight with no other effects at all just to see what she can do. It really is an incredibly versatile amp and I am really enjoying the way it naturally breaks up without my OCD pedal. I will do some more experimenting and see any of my asshole friends have a reverb pedal. Usually they are coming to me to borrow my stuff, and rarely do they have anything that I want or need!

Yep that's it. IF you ever have any opportunity to try one out, I highly recommend it. I can't stop playing it. I think this is my favorite amp I have ever owned. I have had Mesa, Peavey tube amps, fenders and a bunch more and I like this one the best.

The low wattage is key. It still fucking screams, believe me.