Jeff Tweedy at the Paramount Theater, Charlottesville VA, 8 Dec 2010

It took me a while to figure out how to set up stuff to do BT.

I have not heard the show yet. I can't say I am fond of that song. Maybe he will do God Part II next.

I would say it's a grower. God Part II? lets just say I wish they skipped the sequel :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you may know, that was Bono's attack on that terrible Goldman book (The Lives of John Lennon).

I did not, thanks for the info. Makes me like the song a little more although with U2 I like sometimes like the sentiment more than the execution.

This forum would obviously read too much into that and be set off on a spiral of praising/mourning the end of Wilco as we currently know it.

Interesting point about Jeff's singing "Wilco and me" in Lennon's "God." When I first heard it, I also thought, hmm, why didn't he say "Susie and me?" But upon reflection, I think what he did was absolutely perfect and completely in keeping with the tribute to John Lennon.

John and Yoko were, for better or worse, strongly identified in the public mind as a unit--inseparable, them against the world often. For John to sing that he believes in only himself and Yoko, well, that was perfect--for John. When Jeff covered the song, he obviously thought about how to modify those lyrics to make the tribute meaningful. Jeff has been in other bands, but he founded Wilco, and though the lineup has changed, he's remained the constant "center of the circle" (to coin a phrase :yes) and it is Wilco that he chooses to interpret and deliver the songs he writes. So I kind of saw the fact that he said "Wilco and me" as an affirmation of his commitment to the band as the entity that he wants to stick with through thick and thin. That takes nothing away from his commitment to his wife--it's just that she has not been a highly visible part of his public and musical persona.

He does say something else right after that that I can't make out--maybe "together" or "two others"--anyone have any ideas?

Anyway, this song meant a lot to me and obviously I've thought about it just a smidge. . . . .