So what do you love about wintertime?

Guest Speed Racer

I love it when the tap water comes out really cold!

This. Seriously.

Well, I've fallen twice on the bike this week, and if it hadn't been into piles of snow I'd have about 50% less skin on my left side, so that's a plus. :lol

I love seeing my family, and in the past two years I've only seen them in the winter.

Christmas in Florida.

Snuggling up on the couch with my girlfriend in a snowstorm, watching all the jackasses in our neighborhood crash their cars into each other and fishtail around the corner. :wub

I like seeing animal footprints in the snow, and trying to figure out who/what was in my yard!?!

I get some BIG fuckin' prints on my Honda. HUGE, bigger than a dog. I find it more unsettling than anything else.

Oh! And the cats seem much more interested in me in the wintertime; heat parasites.

Used to live in MI... the only thing I miss about "real" winter is playing in the snow with my kids, making snowmen, etc. Everything else about it sucks. Roads torn up by snowplows, salt-covered cars, digging yourself out at the airport after a long trip, shoveling the driveway every morning, bleah.

Now that I live in southern CA, if I want to get in some skiing or get my fix for playing in the snow, I just need to hop in the car drive a couple of hrs up to the mountains for the weekend. Get to enjoy all of the recreation and none of the day-to-day hassle. :)

Guest Speed Racer

I hate everything you were talking about, ih8music - the ruts in the road, plowing, scraping off the car, canceling plans because of blizzards.

But there is nothing more awesome than the first sunny day above 50. Minnesota comes alive; restaurants with patios pull out the furniture, even though they know it will snow again in a week. That first day is amazing, and makes the rest of it worth it.

wrong thread for me this time of year! :lol

going for walks in the evening in a trench coat..

the fact that its coming back next year...

enjoying it without having to shovel snow...

when the night temperature drops to 0'C (aka 32'F)...

getting rain, hail and sun in the same hour...

and more seriously, no bushfires and hottest days on record like last year (47'C)

Guest Speed Racer

It was lovely getting to know all of you! :wave If I can't find time this weekend to cut my hair, sweep and mop, I will officially be the laziest person in the world. :lol

* This has the potential to be the biggest snowstorm for much of Minnesota since Halloween, 1991.

* Potential for 1-2 feet of snow Saturday, with 2-5 foot drifts during the PM hours.

* Close to blizzard criteria - best chance of white-out conditions south/west of the metro area.

* Winter Storm Warning for much of Minnesota/Wisconsin. Blizzard Watch posted for southwestern MN.

* Get your errands/shopping done today, snow arrives late evening, between 8 and 10 pm, snow gets heavier and steadier as the night goes on - should be snowing heavily when we wake up Saturday morning.

* Conditions get worse as the day goes on tomorrow as winds increase and snow accumulates (even on the freeways and interstates). Temperatures will fall through the teens into the single digits - making it a light, powdery snow - prone to blowing and drifting.

* I know this is a mouthful, but travel simply isn't recommended Saturday and Saturday night. Never tell a Minnesotan not to travel, I get it. But the combination of snow/wind/falling temperatures will create truly treacherous conditions. If you run out of gas or go into a ditch tomorrow it could be more than just a minor inconvenience. With wind chill values dipping to -25 or lower it could quickly become life-threatening. Try to get your travel done by this evening, or plan on waiting until Sunday (afternoon) to get back on the highways.

* Wind chills by Saturday night dip down to -20 to -35, extreme danger zone.

* Highs hold below zero on Sunday, but travel conditions should gradually improve - personally, I wouldn't plan on hitting the highways again until Sunday afternoon at the earliest. Temperatures rebound into the 20s by the middle of next week - it won't stay frigid for long.

It was lovely getting to know all of you! :wave If I can't find time this weekend to cut my hair, sweep and mop, I will officially be the laziest person in the world. :lol

I do love when huge storms hit on a weekend (when I don't have travel plans).

Walking around my neighborhood is always great during a snow storm.

The lakefront is nice during the winter, esp. when the waves crash over Lake Shore Drive and I do love downtown Chicago during the Holiday's. I'm not a shopper, but I do enjoy walking around State St. and Michigan Ave. and people watch, plus all buildings' lobbies look nice.

Going up to nothern MI and seeing more snowmobiles than cars! Hiking around up at Tahq Falls. Pond hockey!

Walking to the lakeshore after a wicked storm.

Fires - indoor and outdoor - especially eating pie iron pizzas and drinking winter seasonal beer. Christmas Ale!

Being able to have a job that lets me work from home when the snow hits - 45 miles to the snow belt on CLE's eastside is a bitch. (3.5 hours Wednesday nite)

This is our first winter with our Husky - she loves the cold and snow. We want to get a harness that we can attach to a sled to pull our 7 yr old with!! (i'll attach pix if we do!)

I have a pie iron around here someplace. Tell me more about this pizza. :eat

Used to live in MI... the only thing I miss about "real" winter is playing in the snow with my kids, making snowmen, etc. Everything else about it sucks. Roads torn up by snowplows, salt-covered cars, digging yourself out at the airport after a long trip, shoveling the driveway every morning, bleah.

Now that I live in southern CA, if I want to get in some skiing or get my fix for playing in the snow, I just need to hop in the car drive a couple of hrs up to the mountains for the weekend. Get to enjoy all of the recreation and none of the day-to-day hassle. :)

Where in So. CA? I love being able to go up to the mtns. for a snow day, without having to live in it! :yes

...says the Southern California resident. :lol

Today was rough. I don't think it even got above 80. Much more of this and the tomatoes will quit ripening.

I thought of something.

I love my Uggs in the Wintertime.

Footwear can be the answer to all of life's hardships, I think.

I thought of another winter-ish thing I love...I don't have a fireplace but the neighbor does, and I love smelling the outdoor air when they have a nice wood fire going. Not so great when it occasionally turns out that the invasive Giant Arundo Cane (like huge bamboo) lining the nearby riverbank is on fire again.

Bjorn, that sentence structure is godawful. Would you please work your professional magic on it?

I would like to personally thank La Nina or whatever damn event it is that is pushing everything up north!