Which bands/musical artists/comedians would you like to see at the next Solid Sound Festival?

Keeping within the parameters of last years performers, who would you like to see and who do you think might actually be invited to play at the Solid Sound Festival with Wilco next summer? Would bands like Old Crow Medicine Show or Drive By Truckers be considered too big and take away from the intimacy of the weekend by bringing in too many non Wilco followers? I would love to see Dawes or some one like Steve Earle. I was also thinking of Blue Mountain or the Gourds. I guess a lot has to do with who Jeff and the other Wilco members are into or who they have worked with recently, like Mavis Staples for example.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping within the parameters of last years performers, who would you like to see and who do you think might actually be invited to play at the Solid Sound Festival with Wilco next summer? Would bands like Old Crow Medicine Show or Drive By Truckers be considered too big and take away from the intimacy of the weekend by bringing in too many non Wilco followers? I would love to see Dawes or some one like Steve Earle. I was also thinking of Blue Mountain or the Gourds. I guess a lot has to do with who Jeff and the other Wilco members are into or who they have worked with recently, like Mavis Staples for example.

Music wise, Wilco and all it's different collaborations is what i'm drawn to. i liked the idea of unknown, or relatively little known artist as filler. I heard a lot of great new bands that weekend. As for Comedy, Fred Armisen would be cool.

There are enough festivals out there to accommodate the average music festival fan. I hope they continue to keep Solid Sound about Wilco.

OK. I highly doubt it, but wouldn't it be something for either Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert to be there for just a little bit of something? They don't shoot shows on these 3 days of the week, so there is a very slight possibility.

I'd like to see John Hodgman and John Oliver do something. I know that they were in attendance at the 1st one. Judah Friedlander. Craig Ferguson - he should be in Boston that week for the 4th of July festivities. I don't know. It's tough to think of comedians that aren't well known that would fit the bill and not draw a huge crowd. Perhaps Aziz Ansari? Flight Of The Conchords?

Films: I'd like to see about 4 films to choose from: an obscure arthouse film, a documentary, something a bit more mainstream, and a music documentary. I was thinking of possibly having Sam Jones' film never-before-seen outtakes, but that seems like too much Wilco.

Multimedia: Something along the lines of Emergency Broadcast System. And perhaps a live visual representation of actual photographs taken by the folks in attendance at the festival. For example, you take a picture and send it to some virtual address and it ends up on some giant wall that has pictures coming in live.

Part II: Something along the lines of taking your phone and zapping bar codes throughout the MoCa to earn points to download the new Wilco single before anyone else. This is all dependent on when that comes out in 2011.

For The Kids: Something fun and informative and creative. Maybe a bit of music, painting and learning to use video equipment.

Music: This list is just a dream list and I'd be really happy if half of these bands were there. If not, then that is fine.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (I literally sat behind Grace at Wilco's Concord NH show, so maybe there's some interest from both sides?)

Beach House

Mumford & Sons

Broken Bells

Sleigh Bells

Band Of Horse

Deerhunter

Mission Of Burma

Sonic Youth

Neil Young (he should be this year's Mavis Staples.)

Somewhat some big names that I provided, but I wonder if they need to up the ante to sweeten the pot a little bit. You figure there's only 1 full day of music on Saturday and one night (Friday) and one half day (Sunday). That doesn't leave too much time. Maybe a fellow VCer's band gets to play at a stage?

was just googling fred armisen, and stumbled upon this interview he did with jeff. not sure if it's been posted before, but here it is: http://www.myspace.c...deo/vid/3425517

I love this. Had seen it before but had kind of forgotten about it. They look like such good friends and they clearly crack each other up. Plus, have you ever seen two such unpretentious stars? Pit stains and all.

OK. I highly doubt it, but wouldn't it be something for either Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert to be there for just a little bit of something? They don't shoot shows on these 3 days of the week, so there is a very slight possibility.

I'd like to see John Hodgman and John Oliver do something. I know that they were in attendance at the 1st one. Judah Friedlander. Craig Ferguson - he should be in Boston that week for the 4th of July festivities. I don't know. It's tough to think of comedians that aren't well known that would fit the bill and not draw a huge crowd. Perhaps Aziz Ansari? Flight Of The Conchords?

Films: I'd like to see about 4 films to choose from: an obscure arthouse film, a documentary, something a bit more mainstream, and a music documentary. I was thinking of possibly having Sam Jones' film never-before-seen outtakes, but that seems like too much Wilco.

Multimedia: Something along the lines of Emergency Broadcast System. And perhaps a live visual representation of actual photographs taken by the folks in attendance at the festival. For example, you take a picture and send it to some virtual address and it ends up on some giant wall that has pictures coming in live.

Part II: Something along the lines of taking your phone and zapping bar codes throughout the MoCa to earn points to download the new Wilco single before anyone else. This is all dependent on when that comes out in 2011.

For The Kids: Something fun and informative and creative. Maybe a bit of music, painting and learning to use video equipment.

Music: This list is just a dream list and I'd be really happy if half of these bands were there. If not, then that is fine.

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (I literally sat behind Grace at Wilco's Concord NH show, so maybe there's some interest from both sides?)

Beach House

Mumford & Sons

Broken Bells

Sleigh Bells

Band Of Horse

Deerhunter

Mission Of Burma

Sonic Youth

Neil Young (he should be this year's Mavis Staples.)

Somewhat some big names that I provided, but I wonder if they need to up the ante to sweeten the pot a little bit. You figure there's only 1 full day of music on Saturday and one night (Friday) and one half day (Sunday). That doesn't leave too much time. Maybe a fellow VCer's band gets to play at a stage?

i love your live picture/the films/zapping the new single/neil young ideas. but im afraid with neil young or someone as big as neil it would be too overwhelming.

I'd like to see Yo La Tengo play, obviously they have strong Wilco ties (especially with 3 different members playing in three different Hanukkah shows). It would also be great to see some smaller indie guys that have been around for a while while remaining fairly unkown, like John Vanderslice or Chad Van Gaalen. I feel like the Punch Brothers could also fit in too, they have a real laid back style that would suit the fest well. Plus, Solid Sound was missing some Bluegrass/Country influences last year.

Another multimedia idea popped into my head that I had awhile back to kind of save record stores: a kiosk for your iPod to download music directly.

Think about it: you bring your iPod to Mass MoCa and you find a kiosk and you put in a credit card and pick whichever band's music you want that appears at Solid Sound.

Maybe you can even have options on the main menu to see which music people bought or specific playlists chosen by the artists.

Or maybe you can buy performances after they happen.

It would also be nice if fellow VCers could upload their own music to be heard/sampled and purchased.

None of the above will probably happen, but "so what who cares?!" - Fred Armisen as Joy Behar.