R.E.M. - "Collapse Into Now"

The band and press treated Accelerate like it was a return to greatness when it was really a step in the right direction. They sounded like a band again and by keeping the songs super concise it made it easy to listen to the record all the way through. But at the end of the day there are still a more than a few mediocre songs (Hollow Man, Houston, Accelerate).

I think people should admit that most bands that have been around for 30 years usually can't make great experimental art anymore (and it's not like REM were ever THAT weird). At this point in their career, I'd rather have them make CIN--an album of solid, well-written songs that may not break the mold--than have them try to experiment just for the sake of being different and end up with undercooked, meandering ideas. AKA ATS.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New album is really growing on me *Surprise surprise!! I think between just getting the album on vinyl (great sounding) and listening to the live in studio tracks it clicked with me. My fav since UP! Also am really bummed they are not touring behind this!!!!

Love the album but I bought the vinyl and it does'nt even come with a freakin download code ot cd. They'll be gitting an email for that shit. Then again I guess they had no way of knowing my record player in my car was broke.

I fully intended to get the vinyl at the record store, but hot damn, it was $25. No way I'm putting that down for a single LP, which I'm sure wasn't even on heavy vinyl. I would have been pissed if I pulled the trigger and got home w/o a download card.

That said, I am diggin' this record quite a bit. I think the last REM album I enjoyed was Up and only some of Reveal. Accelerate was okay but I didn't enjoy it like I am enjoying this one.