Wasn't there a "Best Basslines" thread?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Into the Mystic .... good call

Was going to say "Shame Shame" in its entirety,Dawes "North Hills, and maybe my favorite just chillin bass- Van Morrison "Into the Mystic".

The story goes that Bill Black was trying out a new electric stand-up bass, but being used to only playing accoustic he became frustrated, put the instrument on the floor, slid it across the room, and stormed out of the studio. Elvis calmly picked up the bass and easily played the part, which is prominent in the intro and outro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TztGGtygTTo

I was thinking of posting this one too. Whenever I pull out my bass this one inevitably gets played at some point or another.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though George was pretty graceless in his comments about Paul's bass playing on this, I think it is the epitome of great bass playing and it enhances the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ63HUiPyL4&feature=fvst

Even though George was pretty graceless in his comments about Paul's bass playing on this, I think it is the epitome of great bass playing and it enhances the song.

Really? I had not heard that George complained about the bass. Just amazing bass playing. It's like a bass solo behind the guitar solo.

Really? I had not heard that George complained about the bass. Just amazing bass playing. It's like a bass solo behind the guitar solo.

I went googling for the quote, but I couldn't find it. So I will use my wondrous, yet sometimes flawed memory to give the gist of the comment as I remember it.

I think it was from around 1974 when he was on his solo tour. He complained that Paul's playing on Something was too busy, that it ruined the song, and he preferred playing with Willie Weeks.