Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

Little_Girl_Blue.jpg
  • Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ace-Frehley-No-Regrets.jpg WB-Book-Cover-High-Res-use-.jpg

Just finished the Ace Frehley book. Haven't been a KISS fan since the early '80s but couldn't resist grabbing this when I saw it at the library.

White Bicycles was a good but ultimately unsatisfying book. Not sure why.

I have been listening to !Q84. Anyone else read this? I am enjoying it.

LouieB

My roommate just finished it, and liked it. He speaks highly of everything Murakami and lent me his copy of Kafka on the Shore a couple months ago - good read.

Right now I'm reading A Place of My Own by Michael Pollan. Haven't had much free time to really dig in, but I've enjoyed it so far.

61R2LCf0YEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Love Goes To Buildings on Fire by Will Hermes.

It is a pretty interesting look at a number of music scenes (punk, jazz, rock, hip hop, salsa, classical) that were going through big changes in New York City between 1973 and 1978.

Bought this in December way over due to actually sit down and read it.

My roommate just finished it, and liked it. He speaks highly of everything Murakami and lent me his copy of Kafka on the Shore a couple months ago - good read.

Will have to check more of his books out. I know 1Q84 got mixed reviews but I dug it alot.

LouieB

I've been wanting to read some Murakami, always heard good things but never found the time. I was going to buy a couple for my Kindle, which leads to another topic. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that e-book prices are higher than paperbacks? Maybe I'm just used to the cheaper prices for digital downloads of music compared to CDs.

I've been wanting to read some Murakami, always heard good things but never found the time. I was going to buy a couple for my Kindle, which leads to another topic. Is anyone else bothered by the fact that e-book prices are higher than paperbacks? Maybe I'm just used to the cheaper prices for digital downloads of music compared to CDs.

Yes - that is why I mostly stick to getting books for my Nook by way of my public library online. Although - that can be a frustrating experience sometimes.

Yeah, I put myself on the waiting list for a book, but when it came time to rent it, it wasn't a good time for me to be able to sit down and read it in the two-week window. Don't get me wrong, it's great to be able to digitally check out books, it's just a little harder for books that are popular choices.

From what I can tell, publishers have changed the price structure for e-books, which is the main reason for the increased prices. It just seems like they cannibalize their own potential sales by doing that. For instance, if I could pay $6 or $7 for an old Murakami book, I would in a heartbeat. But for $12, I can either get it at a used book store or from the library.

I finally found a reasonably priced copy of this.

Arrived in my mailbox yesterday and I started in on it last night.

41%2BnvFPJmUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

White Bicycles was a good but ultimately unsatisfying book. Not sure why.

I have been listening to !Q84. Anyone else read this? I am enjoying it.

LouieB

I'm currently reading 1Q84 and have read all of Murakami's English translations--I'm about half way through and loving it. If you're interested in recommendations I'd say check out "Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" or "Norwegian Wood." Interesting story, in Japan prior to "Norwegian Wood" Murakami was consistently ripped by the literary establishment there for his reliance on 'magical realism' and his western pop-culture references. So he wrote "Norwegian Wood" as a "Ok, you want a more traditional narrative structure, try this..." and it exploded him into a nationwide sensation. He hasn't really returned to that form since. He's a unique dude.

I'm currently reading 1Q84 and have read all of Murakami's English translations--I'm about half way through and loving it. If you're interested in recommendations I'd say check out "Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" or "Norwegian Wood." Interesting story, in Japan prior to "Norwegian Wood" Murakami was consistently ripped by the literary establishment there for his reliance on 'magical realism' and his western pop-culture references. So he wrote "Norwegian Wood" as a "Ok, you want a more traditional narrative structure, try this..." and it exploded him into a nationwide sensation. He hasn't really returned to that form since. He's a unique dude.

I downloaded an Audible copy of Kafka on the Shore next. Will have to try these out too. thanks for the recommendations. What's wrong with magical realism anyway. Made Gabriel Garcia Marquez a rich man.

LouieB

51RDfuIApZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I want to thank you for bringing this book to my attention, smells like flowers! From the moment I picked it up until I finished it (too soon!) I was completely captivated by the people and events of the book. It was so very human, and yet like reading about humans on a strange new planet where unimaginable things can happen. What an incredible story it is. I recommend it to everybody. Author Timothy Egan is a gifted writer who makes it all seem so immediate that you can practically taste the dirt in your mouth (read it and you'll understand). A very hard book to put down!

The fascination has lingered beyond the book, and I've found myself looking up dustbowl towns & photos, as well as modern-day drought statistics in the dustbowl areas. I wonder how Texas will fare in 2012?

Next up, some James Ellroy. Another recommendation from this thread, thank you!

It was so very human, and yet like reading about humans on a strange new planet where unimaginable things can happen.

Perfect comparison. I was so incredulous at the people's resiliancy -- especially the ones who stayed. Unimaginable. Hope never to experience the really dramatic natural disasters -- tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. But somehow the daily hopelessness of drought seems the worst of all. Hope Texas finds some relief soon!

51oj02zNIOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started this last night. It's a pretty amazing (and true) story about two oil tankers caught in a storm off of Cape Cod in the early 1950s. They both split in half with the crews still on board. Despite the 70 foot seas, the Coast Guard sent out a 36-foot wooden boat with a crew of four to rescue the crew of one of the tankers.