Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

205px-Our_Band_Could_Be_Your_Life_book_cover.jpg

About halfway through this and loving it! Really delving into a genre I am not that familiar with (besides The Replacements), and getting introduced to some fascinating characters along the way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

205px-Our_Band_Could_Be_Your_Life_book_cover.jpg

About halfway through this and loving it! Really delving into a genre I am not that familiar with (besides The Replacements), and getting introduced to some fascinating characters along the way!

Great book. I am in the middle of it, as well (while reading 2 other books). Glad that it is kinda serialized, so that I can come back to it at will.

I love a lot of these bands, already. And I love hearing their stories.

Finished these over the weekend:

41wJYv-WB1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg41bOj-am1RL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Is The Hunger Games well-written, a good read? I wasn't wowed by the movie, which I saw this weekend. Thought it was utterly predictable in most ways. The futuristic city was cool, and the acting was adequate, but...meh. So I've wondered if the book is better?

I finished reading James Ellroy's "Blood's a Rover" yesterday. So intense! It's a very long book, over 600 pages, and took me a bit to get into, but the payoff for sticking with it was huge! I think my brain waves had begun converting over to thinking in the manner Ellroy writes...snapping moment-to-moment snapshots as the world swirls around, intense and immediate. You Ellroy fans know what I'm talking about!

Those of you who've read Ellroy, do you have a favorite book?

I loved his imagined conversations of figures like J. Edgar Hoover and Tricky Dick. ("Jack Kennedy stole the election from me in '60. Now he's dead and I'm the president.")

Is The Hunger Games well-written, a good read? I wasn't wowed by the movie, which I saw this weekend. Thought it was utterly predictable in most ways. The futuristic city was cool, and the acting was adequate, but...meh. So I've wondered if the book is better?

I finished reading James Ellroy's "Blood's a Rover" yesterday. So intense! It's a very long book, over 600 pages, and took me a bit to get into, but the payoff for sticking with it was huge! I think my brain waves had begun converting over to thinking in the manner Ellroy writes...snapping moment-to-moment snapshots as the world swirls around, intense and immediate. You Ellroy fans know what I'm talking about!

I loved his imagined conversations of figures like J. Edgar Hoover and Tricky Dick. ("Jack Kennedy stole the election from me in '60. Now he's dead and I'm the president.")

Yeah, it's pretty good. Very entertaining. Nothing transcendent. I haven't seen the movie yet, I was planning on reading the whole trilogy before going. But the strength of the book is Katniss's narration and internal thoughts and dialogue, which might not show up as strongly on the screen. I'm also unsure of how a PG-13 movie was able to convey the brutality of the event and the control of the capitol.

That sounds better than the movie. I think I will read it. I was hearing good things about the book a long time back...I suspect that internal dialogue gives Katniss far more depth as a character. I think they did try with the movie, but....it's a movie, so the visuals are everything.

The scenes that should have been horrifying in the movie were surprisingly bland. To me at least.

tammy_wynette_tragic_country_queen-460x307.jpg

Mr Ellroy is very intense and I love the imagined conversations and scenarios as well.

As far as favourite books go, I loved the LA Quartet: The Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, L.A. Confidential and White Jazz. White Jazz is sublime.

Just finished this:

6627361-M.jpg

Slow to start and I was wondering when things were gonna happen. I ended up quite liking it.

Have now started and am looking forward to:

strong-motion-novel-jonathan-franzen-paperback-cover-art.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

whoa! gotta get the levon one. how is it?.

Just started it last night. His very folksy way of speaking comes through. I think that might be more charming as an audio thing than on the page. I never really connected with The Band but thoroughly enjoyed seeing Levon Helm at Solid Sound. Also really enjoyed hearing some interviews on Fresh Air the day after he died. Listening to Music From Big Pink as I write this.

** EDIT: Spent the entire afternoon reading this book. Playing hooky from real responsibilities. Can't put it down!

61R2LCf0YEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Love Goes To Buildings on Fire by Will Hermes.

It is a pretty interesting look at a number of music scenes (punk, jazz, rock, hip hop, salsa, classical) that were going through big changes in New York City between 1973 and 1978.

Finally picked up a copy of this and I'm about 70 pages in. It's fantastic so far.

I've just finished "Black Swan Green" by David Mitchell. Utterly beautiful. It's going to haunt me for a while. I love it when a book does this to me.

That has lead me to this:

107812-L.jpg

I've just finished "Black Swan Green" by David Mitchell. Utterly beautiful. It's going to haunt me for a while. I love it when a book does this to me.

That has lead me to this:

107812-L.jpg

I made the same second step after reading Black Swan Green. I found Le Grand Meaulnes to be a cool book, although I didn't actually enjoy it as much as Mitchell's book that referenced it so aggresively. I know that makes me look like a philistine since MItchell is contemporary fiction and Meaulnes is a revered classic.

Tell us what you think when you finish it. I see a connection in the theme of young men dreaming of the bigger world beyond the village, beyond that it seems pretty different.

Just finished Le Grande Meaulnes and enjoyed it immensely. Such beautiful writing. Over the last few weeks I have looked forward to diving into its pages every night. Ultimately a sad book about childhood disappearing and the complexities of adulthood. The chateau for Meaulnes is like Gatsby's green light.

But now I've decided to try another David Mitchell book. I wanted to start chronologically but this afternoon in the bookstore could not find Ghostwritten so instead I bought:

number9dream.jpg

What's the take on David Mitchell in this forum. Have any good folks around here read much of his work?

What's the take on David Mitchell in this forum. Have any good folks around here read much of his work?

There are a lot of fans of Black Swan Green here and I'm one of them. Great, great book. I read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet which I also really liked. It's very different from Black Swan - it's got a much bigger scope - but it's good. I own Cloud Atlas and number9dream but have not yet read them.