Now Reading in the New New New Year

Guest Speed Racer

1617130095.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg bad-moon-rising-the-unauthorized-history-of-creedence-clearwater-revival.jpg

Just finished The Beatles book, now onto the CCR one.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Far From The Madding Crowd. Thomas Hardy can just write. I found myself smiling and sometimes laughing after most sentences with pure joy. His sense of description and place and emotions is just perfect. I think Tess is still a superiuor book but I was still completely absorbed in this one and will be seeking out others soon. Time to give him a rest, though.

Next up:

9780141195162.jpg

Just finished Far From The Madding Crowd. Thomas Hardy can just write. I found myself smiling and sometimes laughing after most sentences with pure joy. His sense of description and place and emotions is just perfect. I think Tess is still a superiuor book but I was still completely absorbed in this one and will be seeking out others soon. Time to give him a rest, though.

I once had to write a rather large paper on that book in a class I had in college. It was taught by an old school post WW II guy. The class was mainly made up of football players - who were not exactly happy about being there.

I once had to write a rather large paper on that book in a class I had in college. It was taught by an old school post WW II guy. The class was mainly made up of football players - who were not exactly happy about being there.

I can't imagine football players digging the drawn out descriptive prose of this book - but I probably wouldn't have either in my late teens or early twenties.

Unintentional (on my part) tie-in between Hardy's book and the one I'm reading now, The Go Between: Julie Christie is in the film versions of both. I'm looking forward to seeking them out.

Right in the middle of "Mystic River" by D Lehane. I read all his other books over the course of the last year or so.....this one is by far his best. Public apology....Holly, you were right, I was wrong. I gotta see the flick again.

Right in the middle of "Mystic River" by D Lehane. I read all his other books over the course of the last year or so.....this one is by far his best. Public apology....Holly, you were right, I was wrong. I gotta see the flick again.

Read Mystic River twice and have seen the movie more times than I can count! Favorite movie and second favorite novel behind To Kill A Mockingbird! Part two of The Given Day came out yesterday:

8CDB38C0-CCAC-4649-9D1D-D857F1C55C07-184-00000039609301ED.jpg

418oES7eRTL.jpg

Pretty remarkable story of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner who, during WWII, was shot down, lost at sea, brought to a Japanese POW camp where he was beaten, starved, and tortured, and is still alive at 95.

Now I'm moving on to John Irving's new one ...

Unbroken is fantastic!

I agree. It is interesting - I went to Amazon to get the cover picture to post here and read some reviews. Most people agreed it was great but there was a sizeable number of people who said that his story must be exaggerated or embellished and that it should be considered fiction.

101380593.jpg

101380593.jpg

Love this book. I'm currently reading Pete's memoir. It's very well written, I have had some trouble getting back into it, now that he's up to the eighties, I'm feeling a little less interested than say I was through the Who Sell Out/Tommy/Lifehouse parts.

--Mike

Love this book. I'm currently reading Pete's memoir. It's very well written, I have had some trouble getting back into it, now that he's up to the eighties, I'm feeling a little less interested than say I was through the Who Sell Out/Tommy/Lifehouse parts.

--Mike

Looking forward to tackling the Pete memoir very soon. That or the Neil book will probably be my next read.

Looking forward to tackling the Pete memoir very soon. That or the Neil book will probably be my next read.

Yes. I've been working through them both also. Neil's is more like reading journal entries or talking to him than an actual book, but that's still fascinating to me. I would love to have tried to get a second draft out of Neil and focused that book a little more. Though I think Neil would probably run me over with his Lincvolt if I suggested that.

Started "The Passage" recently thanks to a tip from this thread. Its getting freaky and I'm liking it.

Started "The Passage" recently thanks to a tip from this thread. Its getting freaky and I'm liking it.

I almost quit reading it because it was getting too freaky. I've come to terms with the situation so its all good.